Hunting with Puppies

Beetie

Hunting with Puppies

Post by Beetie » Fri May 30, 2008 9:48 pm

Is hunting a six month old Brittany puppy helpful or harmful?

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Re: Hunting with Puppies

Post by DGFavor » Fri May 30, 2008 9:54 pm

Best thing for it. Real birds, real country, early and often!! ;)

natetnc

Post by natetnc » Fri May 30, 2008 10:06 pm

define "hunting" and a lot of it has to do with how far along the dog is. if this will be its first rodeo and "hunting" is going out to shoot up the fields with a bunch of friends then i would have to say no. if the dog is conditioned to the gun, you have A shooter, and this will be about the dog then i would think it would be ok. biggest thing will be reading the dog. it may be worth going out the first couple times with a blank pistol to see what he/she does. these are just things i have been told, some of the other people on here may give you some more in depth suggestions.

i hunted mine at 6 months, but most of the time i didn't even carry a gun, and usually had only one friend with me.

tfbirddog2

Post by tfbirddog2 » Sat May 31, 2008 6:16 am

I was guiding with a 5 month old, but like Nate said how much exposer has the pup had and to what has been exposed to.Her first day was a little ruff,but the second day it was like she was a pro.Get a half dozen quail and blank pistol play around with the pup a little take a break and then try the gun.
" Everyone makes fun of a redneck till their car breaks down"Larry the Cable Guy

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Sat May 31, 2008 11:30 am

Funny on these forums the different advice you get - seems to be very much based on where folks live and what's available to 'em. :lol:

Beetie

Post by Beetie » Sat May 31, 2008 12:17 pm

So much information so many books Washington lots of game birds I think I will start with grouse then chuckers and quail. Just the pup and I, don't need any distractions. Thanks for the feed back.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Sat May 31, 2008 2:03 pm

Absolutely man - if you live in WA, I wouldn't mess with the pen birds, just put boots to the ground. Let Ma Nature bring out the instincts in that pup and you'll end up with a bird dog!

Casper

Post by Casper » Sat May 31, 2008 2:18 pm

I'm in the same boat as Doug. This is the best time to just let the pup develop on its own. I had good success with my pups by knowing where I could take the pup and put them into birds as soon as possible so each time the pup was successful in finding birds. It doesnt take long before they start doing it on thier own and the two of you can start exploring new country and enjoy your hunts together.

FWIW

grousehunter08

Post by grousehunter08 » Sat May 31, 2008 3:51 pm

I agree wild birds will teach a young dog faster than any pen raised bird any day and a lot cheaper too