Hunting quail in early evenngs....

WiskeyJaR

Hunting quail in early evenngs....

Post by WiskeyJaR » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:56 pm

for the last week or so, due to work schedule I havnt been able to get out quail hunting till the evening time. I have been hunting the same clear cuts as I was huntning in the mornings, but have yet to move a single bird in evenings.

Do others hunt in the evenings, and how is your luck compared to mornings?

WiskeyJaR

quailrunner

Re: Hunting quail in early evenngs....

Post by quailrunner » Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:43 pm

Quail season hasn't opened here in New Mexico yet, Not till Nov. 15. But while out Dove hunting in the evenings, I like to practice my quail calling. Found lots of coveys, but mostly they were around water, because it's been dry for the last month or so. If it's been dry where you are at, you might try working that. Are your quail "vocal", if they are, try calling for them as your hunting. I am always amazed at how well it works here in the southwest for gambels and scalies.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:15 am

I think we would need to know where you are located and a little about your situation.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:31 pm

I NEVER hunt after about 3 in the afternoon. I dont like busting coveys to close to sundown. It will bust them up and make them more vulnerable to predators and the elements.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

mtjim

Post by mtjim » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:12 am

Back when there were plenty of Quail in the Southeast I used to hunt a lot in the evenings.

If you spot roosts then you have a general idea where the birds will be spending the night. Then it's a matter of figuring out where they feed during the afternoon and hunt between the two spots.

A lot of coveys fly to the roosting area - probably to throw off predators.

I fondly remember the sunset coveys that me and my dogs found back in the good ol' days.

Of course that was when I knew where 100 coveys were within a 10 mile radius of my house.
Be wary of the man in the tattered old hunting coat with the bony pointer and the well worn side by side, he'll outshoot you every day.

WiskeyJaR

Post by WiskeyJaR » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:49 am

I think we would need to know where you are located and a little about your situation.
Ezzy

Ezzy, I hunt the foothills of the valley in oregon, hunting for mountain and california quail. The clear cuts that I have been hunting are full of birds in the mornings, but cant seem to move a bird when I hunt evenings. I hit the fields between 3-6pm when I hunt evening.

Side knote, Dutchess held her point this morning untill I flushed, frist time holding point. Boy was she ever disguted with me after I missed with both shots :(...<chuckles>

R-Heaton

Post by R-Heaton » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:37 pm

Where in Oregon do ya live?

SouthDakotaBound

Post by SouthDakotaBound » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:14 pm

topher40 wrote:I NEVER hunt after about 3 in the afternoon. I dont like busting coveys to close to sundown. It will bust them up and make them more vulnerable to predators and the elements.

When I take my 6 month old over to my buddy's property he will not let me turn her loose after 7:00pm. He says she will bust the birds up and the birds will seperate and might die by themselves from getting caught by predators.

westexasrepublic

Post by westexasrepublic » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:54 pm

I never have any luck in the mornings, but I do want to try calling myself... But I never considered the possible issues of hunting in the evening...
Soouthland's Duke of Hearts
Little Lady Maple

ImageEdit This PedigreeGet Your Free Pedigree Today! WEST TEXAS