North Carolina Guys and Gals

Equismith

North Carolina Guys and Gals

Post by Equismith » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:47 pm

Just wanted to start a thread for any NC folks who might want to try to get connected for a hunt. I am thinking about trying to go here:

http://www.andersoncreekhunting.com/

There really aren't many wild birds in NC anymore. Hunting preserves are about the only option. I have sent Anderson Creek an email and I am waiting for a reply.

Plus, I thought by posting here we can at least know who is nearby to each other.

I'm in Asheboro, near the state's center.

MillerClemsonHD

Re: North Carolina Guys and Gals

Post by MillerClemsonHD » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:54 pm

Not in NC but in Greenville SC and might be willing to travel up to NC to meet up with some folks for some hunting. Or even if not for hunting even to get together for some training this spring and/or some clay bird shooting.

Equismith

Post by Equismith » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:49 am

Thanks MCHD.

I figured folks could post their whereabouts in this thread and then who knows what could happen. I need to get my Brit out this fall/winter. She's nearing a year-and-a-half and I want to get her exposed to a real hunting situation (at least as real as it gets around here :oops: ).

According to the Anderson Creek website I could take her there for a day's hunt for around $70 for 10 birds and no guide/dog. It's about an hour and 20 minutes from me. It would be well worth that if we walk away with no downed birds but just letting her hunt'em up. Right now she's got the squirrel kick going on, but that's because they taunt her in her outside kennel. I'd like to get her back to focusing on birdy things.

After deer season closes, I thought about taking her up to the mountain gamelands to try to hunt up some grouse. But I have heard that grouse populations are down in the state. And then there's that squirrel thing..... :roll:
Last edited by Equismith on Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

luke0927

Post by luke0927 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:58 am

Im in GA I thought about coming up to NC to try and find some grouse i hear its a little better than GA how far are you from the GA line?

Equismith

Post by Equismith » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:44 pm

luke0927 wrote:Im in GA I thought about coming up to NC to try and find some grouse i hear its a little better than GA how far are you from the GA line?
Maybe 5 hours or more. Quite a haul.... :|

webfoot1973

Post by webfoot1973 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:16 am

NC here....where in NC are you located????? I know plenty of places to go buy some birds and put them out yourselve.

Rolesville here, right outside of Raleigh .......

natetnc

Post by natetnc » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:45 pm

i live in lexington, nc. i hit the grouse woods, usually with limited luck, and sometimes pass through your way in route to the sandhills gamelands for quail. again birds are limited but i still go. check out brigadoon kennels, http://brigadoonkennels.com/, if you are just looking for the training aspect. i went there a month ago for what he called a short individual seminar. we went to a place he leases he turned out a lot of birds (not planted but free flown) let the dog work, let the dog hunt, NOT directed to the birds, and i am sure for a fee he would let you shoot some. i did not shoot any and he charged me $50 for about 2-3hrs of work. i think this is a viable option, you get the experience with EXCELLENT flying birds (probably the best pen raised i have seen), time with a pro who may even give you advice on the squirrel problem, and i think it will take 30 minutes to get there from asheboro. let me know if you go see phil, and let me know what you think, heck i might even go with ya.

Equismith

Post by Equismith » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:57 pm

I'm trying to arrange a trip to Anderson Creek this Friday if they will ever answer my emails. I wish they'd remove the email link from their website if they will not answer them.

I'm going to try their phone numbers.

webfoot1973

Post by webfoot1973 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:19 am

Let me know if you go this Friday . I have WPG ( 1 year old ) that I would love to get out a quail hunt ....

Equismith

Post by Equismith » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:15 pm

I called and spoke with Kyle at the preserve. Man what a nice fellow. He's busy with college exams so replying to my emails isn't top priority for him. I can completely understand!

As for as I am planning now, Friday it is. $70 for ten birds released. No guide fees. I'm trying to get the wife to go with me and help with the check cord and camera. I won't give her the gun. She might use it on me for dragging her out on a cold wet day. :|

I need to call James tomorrow and confirm.

They would like a one day call in advance to insure all the fields are not in use.

Lord willing, I'll be there on Friday. :)

Equismith

Post by Equismith » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:32 pm

I'm set for Friday ty 11:30.

If anyone else might go, I'll see you there.

natetnc

Post by natetnc » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:16 pm

let us know how it goes/went, i may join you out there next time but for this year my vacation is all gone... or reserved by the wife, and i defenitely don't want to mess with that.

Equismith

Post by Equismith » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:29 pm

I had a decent time, but I'll relay the details later. I have a few photos. It's 0030 hours and I'm pooped. Gotta get some rest.

Equismith

Post by Equismith » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:52 am

The photos will follow this post. You can form your own opinion of Anderson Creek Hunting and Preserve, LLC.

Here's how the day went: A short story.

I called Anderson Creek on Thursday to confirm my arrival time of around 11:30am on Friday. I was a bit early, arriving around 11:10am.

I arrived to find three very nice GSPs running at large accompanied by a small curly haired ankle biter and an Irish Setter. I was welcomed by them all. With Libby in the crate in the truck bed, I found the three male GSPs having a curious time by presenting their muddy paws on the sides of the truck bed sniffing out the newly arrived petite young lady. She growled at their interest and was set to defend her honor. So was I since they carelessly marked up the sides of the truck bed. They also christened my truck tires at least once each, each tire having showers from them all except the ankle biter and the Irish setter.

Exiting my truck I found they now had an interest in me. Growling either at me, or at each other for who gets to sniff out the new guy first. I think they all wanted the Alpha male position on the farm. I was willing to let them decide amongst themselves.

I figured with all the commotion I would next be met by a male of the two legged type. No one was around. I stepped up onto the porch of the office and knocked loudly on the door, hopefully to be heard over the barking announcements that a trespasser was about. More announcements came from inside the office. At least two to the best of my hearing. I promptly determined the other farm ankle biter was inside the office protecting the paperwork. Another deeper and nearly thigh high sound came through the door telling me there was a companion protector inside to back up Ankle Biter II.

Reluctantly I twisted the doorknob. Interestingly, the barking from inside got a bit faster and more serious. I closed the door accordingly, deciding to wait out any human contact from inside.

By now the tires on the truck were well darkened. My wife sat in the truck just glaring at me. I decided to face the dogs and not get back in the truck. It was a much safer choice.

I called the owner on the cell phone. The signal strength was weak, but I did get through. "Ain't no one at the office?" he asked. "No Sir." I replied. He said he'd call someone to meet me but in the time it took him to say it, there was a truck that pulled up. Judging from the truck and the gentleman inside the truck, I knew I was about to get helped. I thought I heard banjo music from a distance.

Soon several trucks began appearing. I knew something was about to happen. I didn't hear anymore music so I felt pretty sure I was about to get to some quail somewhere.

After a few conversations with the fellows now in charge of the operation I was asked if I wanted to release the quail myself. I was told of a 50 cent charge per bird if they were to release them making the cost now $75.00 for 10 birds. I was shown a map of the farm. He asked what type of terrain I wanted to hunt in. With my wife standing now beside me (she had to get out of the truck to sign the release forms) I told him that I preferred a place that wasn't muddy "so she won't have to walk in the mud." He asked if I brought boots. Puzzled and concerned that someone had stolen my Justins off my feet when I wasn't looking, I looked down and saw they were still there. My wife stood there in her bright pink rubber boots she got from the local Tractor Supply store. I answered, "Well, she does have on the rubber boots but I don't want her trudging through deep mud.” He replied. "Oh, you mean your wife! I thought you meant your dog." My wife was not amused. He wasn't helping me out much either. I literally had to beg my wife to come along. I think she now heard the music that I had heard earlier. I acted like I didn't hear it. He finally left to get the quail.

He returned about 20 minutes later and I jumped in the truck that was now covered with urine and paw prints. I swear I got a nasty look from Libby as I got in the driver's seat. She wasn't amused either. She must've heard the music also. I played ignorant and started the truck.

We drove about a mile down the road to a very nice sorghum field with alternating plantings of short grass. Down the swag of the hollow I saw a marshy area. We stopped about 75 yards off the roadway and we got out of the trucks. The fellow asked me how I wanted the birds released. I figured it was a trick question so I responded like any person in the know would, "However you regularly release them. You know what you're doing." I immediately realized I might have made a mistake. I pondered my plight. Then I said, "As long as they don't fly over there." pointing to a freshly plowed field to my back and away from the nice green and excellently terrained field before us. He said, "OK. They'll go straight for that sorghum." I then thought he would go farther into the field and release the quail. I was mistaken. He pulled the cage from his truck bed and set it on the edge of the sorghum. He raised the cage door and out burst the ten quail that I now had now paid $7.50 for each. Eight of the ten flew straight for the road we had just turned off of, either hitting a thickly briared patch of woods adjacent to the road, or flying completely across the road. The other two flew for the freshly plowed field, one flying across the field and across the road towards a farm house. The fellow looked puzzled as they all disappeared. He said, "Well, I guess I should've known they would fly into the wind." I'm guessing he hadn't felt the wind while we were discussing where I wanted the quail released. "You want me to go back and get you some more?" he asked." Pondering my next words I remembered it was the holiday season, and I did have my wife in tow. If I said the wrong thing and she realized what had just happened she might not ever return with me the to the field. I then replied, "If you don't mind.... And when you come back, can you release the next ones farther downwind? Maybe near the bottom of the hill?" I added, He looked apologetically to me and said, "Sure."

Before he left I asked if the property across the road was Ok to hunt. He said, "No." Keeping in mind that this is where at least half of the quail had flown, I shook my head yes and felt a state of depression setting in. The day was not going well at all. He did state that the property was owned by the Farrar family, the same owners of the hunting preserve, but he left it at that. So did I.

I got my gear on, loaded my pouches with about 45 28ga shells ( I was trying to think positively....) and got Libby, who had seen the quail fly away when released, who then immediately headed for the road. A prompt "HEAR" and a nick on the collar let her know that I meant business. She looked at me puzzled. She reluctantly came to my side.

Soon the truck returned. I heard him coming back long before I saw the truck. It was a true farm truck. Mechanically it was pretty good. I'm sure it had a muffler at some time in its life.

He passed us in the field and disappeared over the hill. Within minutes he returned and said he has released them on the bank of the marsh. He commented at how these didn't fly off like the first ones. In fact he said he left them sitting on the bank of the marsh. I wondered if he had stunned them somehow to prevent another fly away disaster. I thanked him. His parting comment was, "When you get through you can pay back at the office." Somewhere on me was an open wound and he had just dashed some salt in it. I waived and said, "Thanks."

Trying to look at the bright side, it was a beautiful day and my wife was with me. It's not often she agrees to do things like this. That was worth the $75 I would be paying when this was all over. What a bargain! At this point my mind was playing tricks on me. I had to play along.

We got everything together and went towards the bank of the marsh. Soon Libby had sniffed the quail. She was ahead of me by some yards. My wife got a snapshot of the moment. As she held point, I approached and saw the quail just as the fellow had described. I saw four hunkered down on the bank on some dead grass. Overcoming the fact that I was seeing quail, my first thought was that he had gone back for only four more quail. I remembered my mind tricks and went to another thought. Now I need to get these quail to flush and go elsewhere so I can really try to hunt them up. After nearly stomping on them and Libby about to have a freak out, three of the four flushed. The fourth simply ran for deeper grass and towards the water. Two of the three flew into the marsh, which was nicely swampy and mucky looking. One made it across the march to a wooded area.

Two hours later and two soupy wet Justins later I had four quail in the gamebag. Libby was stoked. My wife had long retired to the truck.

Now one might ask how I felt after a day like this that began so crazily. Let me say this:

I learned that Libby will go anywhere. And I mean anywhere. She hit the marsh like she had never been out of the water. She sniffed out those two marshy wet quail that had tried to hide in the marsh grass. This was the first time I had her under gun. I didn't know it, but my wife was watching when we eventually got the first good flush of one of the quail. It was the first time I had pulled a trigger with Libby near and a bird in the air. I didn't see it, but my wife said Libby came about 4 feet off the ground when I shot. I would have never known as Libby kept her eye on the bird and retrieved it to my hand within seconds. She has a firm grip on the bird, so any survivors, whether quail of pheasant, should never get away from her. She has a soft release though, like she knows it's yours and not hers. Never a tug of war on the birds.

She even rambled through the briars near the road. We were able to flush one of the bank/marsh released quail that eventually ended up in the briars near the road. Again, retrieved to hand after shot; placed nicely and softly.

After the first shot and retrieve Libby was set on go. Eventually I tired out and didn't want to push things with the wife. We retired after getting four quail. I'm presuming the guy only brought back four after the first release disaster. The four I bagged were those four. I can only imagine how she would have done if the initial release would have been better.

So, at the end of the day I learned that the wife will tolerate some things and not complain. She actually said she might go back with me the next time.

I also learned that I have a wonderful little unpedigreed and unregistered Brittany, that for me, a know nothing owner of a bird dog for the first time at age 43, is something I only dreamed about from when I was a kid until now. I really love this dog. That love grew much deeper on this day. I'll be going back to Anderson Creek to see if this day can be topped. It's a pretty good place but don't expect to be wined and dined. Being a country boy myself I am completely OK with that.

Dogs really are man's best friend. My best friend's name is Libby.

MillerClemsonHD

Post by MillerClemsonHD » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:39 pm

Sounds like it ended up being a pretty good day. Let me guess you will be planting your own birds next trip? Very few of those places that I let plant birds for me anymore. Especially when I have an inexperienced dog or shooters along.

webfoot1973

Post by webfoot1973 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:34 am

So how many birds did your dog point??? I hope you got to shoot at more than 4 quail, since you paid for 10?

I think its time to start looking for a new preserve. Seems as though they really werent set up for you to come and hunt.

Equismith

Post by Equismith » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:22 pm

I bagged everyone she pointed except one. When it flushed, it went straight for the house across the road and was about 10 yards from the road when it flushed. I just watched it fly away. I was way too close to the house to even think of trying a shot in that direction.

I'll go back. But better prepared the next time out.

I learned that Libby will work fine under gun. She also will trudge through some serious thick stuff and mucky water. I learned to trust her nose and to read her better. She pointed some marsh grass that I dug around in since she kept coming back to. She finally nosed the quail from its well hidden little cave under the grass. I never would have thought it was there at all but she kept insisting that I trust her.

To learn she is not gunshy and will work hard for birds and will go through almost anything including thick viney briars is well worth the money spent. I also learned she will retrive bird to hand after I do my part with the gun. And to have the wife tag along was a bonus too. :wink:

There were alot of unanswered questions answered that day. All of the answers were good ones.

It started out as a crappy day, but looking at the big picture I'm sure I got my money's worth. We were in the field about 2 and a half hours, to which the wife complained not once.

I also took a 28ga 870 Express that I had the choke reamed out to skeet. I believe it's the perfect quail gun for me.

edondero

Post by edondero » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:19 pm

hey. im NC too!
try beaverpond pond sporting club its in snow camp south of burlington. sounds like its a far way from lillington, nc, but worth it. great guys, grounds, lodges, birds...hefty price occassionally, but they will work with you if you know what you want.

webfoot, where do you get birds? im in chapel hill and cant find any.

Equismith

Post by Equismith » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:44 pm

edondero wrote:
webfoot, where do you get birds? im in chapel hill and cant find any.
I can't answer for webfoot, but Kennedy Game Farm in Robbins sells quail. So does Chriscoe Game Farm in Coleridge/Seagrove. I'm sure there's someone close to Chapel Hill that sells.

You may even want to look at this link...

http://www.gamebirdhunts.com/us-guides/ ... rolina.asp

webfoot1973

Post by webfoot1973 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:32 am

Also look under North Carolina Agriculture . Dave Welsh in Spring Hope sells quail, chukkars, and pheasant, all at good prices.

Let me know if you want someone to tag along, always like to run my dog in a brace, good practice

edondero

Post by edondero » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:24 pm

just bought a box of quail from chriscoe farm in seagrove. it was really nice, easy to find, friendly people, good prices, and flight conditioned quail. i know, because one already flew away from me.
playing a little fetch with one now, lacey is getting better and better at retrieving. she has gone from staring at it. to fllipping it over looking for its fuzzy and smooth like a tennis ball side, to throwing it towards me. ocassionally she will actually bring one to my hand. we are working on this intensively until this weekend and the hunt test in charleston, sc. we might be in over our heads for this one though.

Equismith

Post by Equismith » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:54 pm

edondero wrote:just bought a box of quail from chriscoe farm in seagrove. it was really nice, easy to find, friendly people, good prices, and flight conditioned quail. i know, because one already flew away from me.
playing a little fetch with one now, lacey is getting better and better at retrieving. she has gone from staring at it. to fllipping it over looking for its fuzzy and smooth like a tennis ball side, to throwing it towards me. ocassionally she will actually bring one to my hand. we are working on this intensively until this weekend and the hunt test in charleston, sc. we might be in over our heads for this one though.
What was your price per bird? I have not personally bought from them, but have heard good things from alot of folks around here. They are active in Quail Unlimited.

edondero

Post by edondero » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:46 pm

quail were $3.25 a bird with a minimum of ten. I bought ten (most are still sitting in my front yard if anyone wants to get at 'em) fly well too.
I also spent today with phil haynesworth ( I have to double check his last name) he was awesome. Knew his stuff, great at reading and working with the dog, and generous with time and knowledge. I'll be going back very soon. I liked him and brigadoon kennels alot.

natetnc

Post by natetnc » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:45 pm

brigadoon is where i had katie for several months, i mentioned brigadoon and phil earlier in this thread, i am glad someone else has made it out there to vouch for him. his birds are definitely hard fliers, 3.25 is a good price for those birds. will be taking chip up there for a little session soon, i am lucky it is only 15 minutes from my house :)

oh, last name is hayworth.

edondero

Post by edondero » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:07 pm

thanks Nate. I went with your recommendation from this thread and glad I did. It's 40 minutes from me, best location yet
. I am getting to the point where I want to do my dog's training so I am anxious to learn how myself and prefer to be there with my dog as she works for me. I hope to work something with someone soon so I can use land, maybe birds ad launchers, and be on my schedule and budget. Would you like to get together, sounds like you have infinite experience compared to me.

whitetailhunter

Post by whitetailhunter » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:55 pm

Hello all another NC hunter here.

Equismith sounds like you had a rough time at James's place hopefully it will get better out that way. As he gets more experience. I think this is only his first or second year I used to dove hunt out there until his price went up this year. But all in all he is a pretty good guy.

natetnc

Post by natetnc » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:40 am

edondero wrote:sounds like you have infinite experience compared to me.
doubt that.... i am relatively new to this stuff too, but luckily i found this place which has helped me along. right now i am out of a place to train, do you have access anywhere? with tax season ramping up and cpa exam scheduled for the 26th of this month my time is slipping away from me, not saying it is impossible to get together, just saying everything will have to work out right.

buDDget hunter

Post by buDDget hunter » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:36 pm

I just got orders to Pope AFB, after reading this thread I am getting depressed. The game regulations seem pretty liberal compared to what I have read on here. Are the bird #s really as bad as is sounds? My dog and I have never worked on planted birds only wild quail in open desert this should be a learning experience for both of us. What about the waterfowl hunting? It seems like it should be a good area with water and ag fields everywhere, am I off base? One thing I am looking forward to is the hog hunting, from where I live now it is a couple hour drive to get to the hogs. Are they hard to hunt? Are they hard to find? Am I going to get depressed about this also?
If a man is reasonably intelligent there is practically nothing a good dog can't teach him. ~Robert Ruark

Onnja Vom Elderbach
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

MillerClemsonHD

Post by MillerClemsonHD » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:52 pm

buDDget hunter wrote:I just got orders to Pope AFB, after reading this thread I am getting depressed. The game regulations seem pretty liberal compared to what I have read on here. Are the bird #s really as bad as is sounds? My dog and I have never worked on planted birds only wild quail in open desert this should be a learning experience for both of us. What about the waterfowl hunting? It seems like it should be a good area with water and ag fields everywhere, am I off base? One thing I am looking forward to is the hog hunting, from where I live now it is a couple hour drive to get to the hogs. Are they hard to hunt? Are they hard to find? Am I going to get depressed about this also?
Yes the bird numbers are that bad in NC and SC. I have been told there are some wild quail in the Eastern part of NC, generally in the area you will be in. Pen raised birds are about all we have for the most part though. You are probably going to want to buy some launchers for training. Waterfowl hunting should be fairly good in that area as well. I have lucked into a place to Goose hunt that has birds, but ducks are few and far between where I am. There are some numbers in the Eastern part of NC and SC hard part is finding places to hunt as the competition for good public spots is high. I don't know about the hog #'s in NC but they are fairly high in eastern SC and I would imagine in the swamp areas in eastern NC there will be hogs as well. You should not have to travel far to hunt hogs. Most people I know shoot hogs out of a tree stand just like they are hunting deer or do some drive hunts. There is also people (bigger in GA) that hunt hogs with dogs. I can tell you there is an abundance of deer in that area of the state if you want to hunt them at all. Should also be some turkey hunting as well. Unfortunately in this area of the country we are left to the kick and shoots for quail even though this region was the quail capital of the country. If you have a boat even a small one, or access to a boat you should be able to get into some waterfowl hunting. Good luck, hope you enjoy the southeast and thank you for your service!

natetnc

Post by natetnc » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:57 am

buDDget hunter wrote:Are the bird #s really as bad as is sounds?
ok, here is the deal on nc quail. are the bird (quail) #s down, yes. do we have birds, yes. will you be close to birds, yes. will the birds be easy to hunt, no.

#s are down mostly due to a change in farming practices in the area you will be living, but make no mistake, they are there, you will just have to put in the extra work to find them. you are lucky to be close to the sandhills gamelands. the sandhills have a lot of good cover but can get a lot of pressure as well, this is where living close counts. by living close you will be able to find all of the little secret places once you put in the time and effort...... then you can tell me about them :) j/k, once you find them, keep your mouth shut, thats the way it works here in NC. be ready to hit up some nasty thickets, if your dog doesn't get in the briars then either you will or your flushes will be limited, these birds know where to be and eastern NC has some of the biggest and worst sawbriar patches you can imagine. i believe being stationed on base you might be able to hunt some of the fort bragg land, not sure about that though, you may want to check into it. never hunted on ft bragg but i imagine it is the same scenario without quite as much pressure. just remember, it is not going to be easy, you have to put in the time and effort, but they are here. just to be clear though, we don't have a whole lot, i wouldn't kill out a covey, take a couple and let em be. if i don't kill any on the first flush i may go after the largest bunch, after that i don't hunt singles, if the get away twice they win.

waterfowl..... even more competitive than bird hunting. some good 3 day a week hunting areas between you and raleigh, about 30min to 1hr away. it is a little easier with geese, everyone hates geese around here.

don't know anything about hogs but i think you may be too far west, think you are too far west for any good bear hunting, and turkeys/deer are everywhere in nc now.

edondero

Post by edondero » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:11 am

hey buddget, your pup is cute! welcome to NC. You are in the best area of the state for birds, but its no South Dakota around here. I read today there are 230 public and private quail lands in the state, I haven't found the public ones yet (nate, do you know how I find that out?) There's a good club, AKC, if youre into that. The Sandhills Pointing Dog club, at least they can start hooking you up with people and places.

BTW, Doug, I am going to make my own hunts now that I have found birds and a solid piece of land. you should bring my boyfriend up with the pups and we can hunt it anytime.

natetnc

Post by natetnc » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:54 am

edondero wrote:I read today there are 230 public and private quail lands in the state, I haven't found the public ones yet (nate, do you know how I find that out?)
Assuming private = preserves and public = national forest and gamelands

go to http://www.ncwildlife.org/fs_index_04_hunting.htm and look at the different gamelands by selecting a region first and then an individual section. when looking through the section you will see small boxes at the bottom of the page with icons indicating the game present.... look for the ones with quail. there may be an easier way, don't know if there is a search tool that brings up all sections with quail or not.

natetnc

Post by natetnc » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:57 am

that link will not take you directly to the page i was hoping. hit the link, then maps at the top, then scroll down to gamelands map index and click on the appropriate region.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:10 am

Eqismith, that is one very well written and interesting report. Sounds like they're new to this, not interested, or don't know how the program works yet.

Being a Yankee, though my daughter and son in law live in Raleigh, I've always been curious. How big a problem are all of the poisonous snakes and gators you guys have down there? I hate snakes. Are the in hibernation during hunting season? Do you lose many dogs to gators? Seems like kind of a scary place to have a dog to this ol' northern boy.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Equismith

Post by Equismith » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:44 pm

No gators in this part of NC. MAybe down WIlmingtom way and south of there, but the Sandhills don't have any.

We have copperheads, rattlesnakes, and some cottonmouths, although brown water snakes are commonly mistaken for a cottonmouth. Cottonmouths are kinda rare. We also have coral snakes, but even rarer. I've seen rattlesnakes and copperheads but never any of the others. Never a problem with the dogs. But there are more reports of rattlesnake bites than copperhead bites for humans. Some of the rattlers can get upwards of 4 feet in the Uwharries.

As for Raleigh, copperheads are what you'll encounter.

Come on down. You should be aware of the bites of us southerners rather than the snakes. We're an ornery bunch. But not poisonous. :wink:

They are hibernating right now. April until Nov you'll encounter snakes. More so the farther south you go.

Equismith

Post by Equismith » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:08 pm

Just want to bump this up to get some thoughts of any hunts this fall in NC.

Dove

Quail

Grouse

NC Quailhunter

Post by NC Quailhunter » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:11 am

I am in for a hunt this fall. the birds are doing real well on Camp Lejeune. The WMA that is close to here Qf has been doing alot of work and the birds are rebounding nicely. Things are starting to look up. I think the Croatan National forest will be good in about two years they had a big fire go through it and really cleared things out. Hopefully the birds are able to take hold.
I would be willing to travel a little bit to check out other areas of the state. So let's see if we can make it happen.
I'd rather live on the side of a mountain, than wander through canyons of concrete and steel.

Equismith

Post by Equismith » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:32 pm

I'm up for a Camp LeJune hunt. What would I need to do? Do they require a safety class prior to hunting on post? I have my NC license without problem. Do they hassle you about bringing firearms on the installation? Weblinks?

My wife's folks are from Trenton and Pollocksville. And I'd like to hear more about the Croatan Nat'l Forest prospect. It's a skip away from Pollocksville.

buDDget hunter

Post by buDDget hunter » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:29 am

natetnc wrote:that link will not take you directly to the page i was hoping. hit the link, then maps at the top, then scroll down to gamelands map index and click on the appropriate region.

The link didn't work at all for me however I found this link on their website that seems to be just what I imagine most people are looking for. http://216.27.39.120/mapbook/ If you click on each little pin and then "show details" it gives you a convient break down of pertinent information regarding each game land. Anyone interested in exploringhunting some of those games lands w/ me and my half trained DD pm me.
If a man is reasonably intelligent there is practically nothing a good dog can't teach him. ~Robert Ruark

Onnja Vom Elderbach
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!