The other Az quail

chukarguy

The other Az quail

Post by chukarguy » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:54 pm

As a kid growing up in the Phoenix area, I had never known anyone who hunted mearn's quail. I knew they existed but back then they were hard to come by compared to the good numbers that we are experiencing right now. Yup as a kid growing up in the Phoenix area we matched our skills with the gambels quail. The buzz in the state back then was the good quail hunting in north western arizona. I never had a chance as a youth to get up there but I always figured that I would one day. Last year on an Idaho trip my hunting partner and I decided that we were going to go down to patagonia and hunt mearn's quail, as the planning progressed we were unable to find a date that would work for both of us so I got left out of the adventure down south. As soon as I knew that my trip was to be cancelled I got on the phone and started planning a trip to northern az to fulfill my childhood dream of hunting gambels quail in Kingman Arizona. After lots of research and a few tips from friends, we headed off. Eager to see and experience the country we have read about and dreamed about. The QuarryImage The countryImage The pointImage The retrieveImage Dogs getting tiredImage The tailgate shotImage We had a blast. Hunted lots of different types of country, put lot's of miles on the truck, and on our feet. We hunted area's that were productive and some area's that had a very few birds but it was nice just to be there. We ate real well, met new people, and in the end I can't say I would change a thing.
You live by the river, you die by the river

Russmill84

Re: The other Az quail

Post by Russmill84 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:41 pm

Sounds and looks like a trip you will never forget!
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=1845 "Kickstand"
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=2439 "Dash"

" Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" JFK

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:47 pm

The land looks beautiful and that bird photo with the sky behind it is awesome.

chukarguy

Post by chukarguy » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:12 pm

Thanks, we got lucky on that photo. A wounded quail that we were trying to retrieve jumped up in the cactus and wasn't about to move out of there so we were able to get some very cool pics of him.

Benny

Post by Benny » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:32 pm

Wow, thanks for sharing, beautiful looking area. I'm striking up a plan this minute.

Thanks
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

gambel

Post by gambel » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:26 pm

There seems to be quite a few members on the forum that have traveled to Arizona and/or New Mexico to hunt gambel, scalies, and mearns this year. A lot of those members do most of their hunting in areas where snakes are not a big issue and I am just curious if most of you that make the trip to hunt desert quail have your dogs snake-broke or not?

Thanks

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:35 pm

BEAUTIFUL!! Next time swing through Kansas and pick me up, looks like you had a blast!
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

chukarguy

Post by chukarguy » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:16 pm

Swinging through kansas sounds like a great idea! I have never gotten into wild bobwhites, would love to try them. I don't have my dog's snake broke, but all the snakes are sleeping in January.

Chocolate Head

Post by Chocolate Head » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:02 am

Chukarguy, you've got mail. I sent you a PM for some information and general guidance.

Rock

Post by Rock » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:15 pm

gambel wrote:A lot of those members do most of their hunting in areas where snakes are not a big issue and I am just curious if most of you that make the trip to hunt desert quail have your dogs snake-broke or not?

Thanks
I have been going down for 4 years now and have not come across a snake yet. They pretty much stay holed up for the winter in the areas I hunt. Usually down south of Tuscon.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:54 pm

Rock wrote:
gambel wrote:A lot of those members do most of their hunting in areas where snakes are not a big issue and I am just curious if most of you that make the trip to hunt desert quail have your dogs snake-broke or not?

Thanks
I have been going down for 4 years now and have not come across a snake yet. They pretty much stay holed up for the winter in the areas I hunt. Usually down south of Tuscon.
You will not see many snakes during that time of year but.....they can be active at that time. Do your dog a favor and get him snake broke. Cheap insurance..talk to Arlette when you go down there. She is on the way to Mearns country.