Opening Day

dhondtm

Opening Day

Post by dhondtm » Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:02 pm

I got Cassi out this morning for her first hunt on wild birds. I went with a few folks I train with so we broke off in groups of 2 and each group had a dog. We had GSP, Britany, English Setter and Cassi my Weimaraner. A little bit thicker cover then we train in and Cassi didn't want to bust through there herself she did more following today then she normally does. Only point I got out of her was on a dead bird she never saw me shoot. I had to tell her over and over dead bird, take it. It wasn't until I was giving her a drink later and we startled up a single really close by that she started to figure out no one is planting these birds. I can even see her smile as she went off and started hunting from that point on.

I was happy to drop my first two when we busted into the first covey. Just feels good when you drop two and you can't get reloaded fast enough as more flush. We definately got the jump on the birds this morning.

I finished the day getting 7, but I shot at least 15 times. We lost at least one bird in the thick areas, but with out Cassi there I probably would of never recovered at least 3 more. She didn't get to point much since the Gamble tend to get up really quick but she had a lot of fun retrieving them. I think our group finished getting 21 birds.

Casper

Post by Casper » Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:50 pm

Nice job man. Good to hear that she started to figure it out. Maybe she will do better the next time you go.

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:51 pm

Great job! Looks like you're having some fun!

Grant

12 Volt Man

Post by 12 Volt Man » Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:20 pm

Nice work. Great picture.

portsider44

Post by portsider44 » Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:21 pm

Congrats, I can't wait to get out & do some hunting myself. The 22nd can't get her soon enough for my son & me.