Private land access in Kansas for a day or two

luke0927

Private land access in Kansas for a day or two

Post by luke0927 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:37 pm

For those of you that live out there or go regularly im wanting to go out there for the first time. Probably the 1st or 2nd week of the season. Im going to tackle public land but would like to hunt at least a day or two on some private land that i know has birds, not a preserve but a place that lets you do your own hunt on their land for a resonable fee...don't care if its a farmer or lodge just some where i can go with my dogs, no meals etc....just a good place to get on birds before we tackle public land. would like to be able to get on quail and pheasant but if its a good deal pheasant only would be fine.

I already have a lead on maybe staying in the North Central part of the state so if it was closer to that side that would be great....but it could just be somewhere i stop on the way. Wanting to try and start looking into this now so i have plenty of time to figure it out.

Thanks!

Luke

Southwind

Re: Private land access in Kansas for a day or two

Post by Southwind » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:54 pm

Good luck, I have lived here my whole life and unless you have family ground or a fat checkbook, it is very hard. Farmers turned deer outfitters have made it difficult to lease good land at a reasonable price. Good deer leases go for about 8-10 dollars per acre. Bird hunters out here are used to paying 3-4 dollars an acre. You can see my dilema. My advise is to find a deer outfitter in a bird rich area, and see if they would be willing to sublease their ground after deer season ends. After rifle season, you can get 1.5 months of bird season. I had the opportunity to get ground for $1.50 per acre after rifle season on ground that had feeders on it for deer and that did not get bird hunted on all year. Like an idiot, I did not want to spend $700 for the last 6 weeks of season. Hopefully, I can get the same deal this coming year.

luke0927

Post by luke0927 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:32 am

Southwind wrote:Good luck, I have lived here my whole life and unless you have family ground or a fat checkbook, it is very hard. Farmers turned deer outfitters have made it difficult to lease good land at a reasonable price. Good deer leases go for about 8-10 dollars per acre. Bird hunters out here are used to paying 3-4 dollars an acre. You can see my dilema. My advise is to find a deer outfitter in a bird rich area, and see if they would be willing to sublease their ground after deer season ends. After rifle season, you can get 1.5 months of bird season. I had the opportunity to get ground for $1.50 per acre after rifle season on ground that had feeders on it for deer and that did not get bird hunted on all year. Like an idiot, I did not want to spend $700 for the last 6 weeks of season. Hopefully, I can get the same deal this coming year.

Seems to be the way it goes....Just probably have to tought it out and run the public land

sjkennels

Post by sjkennels » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:17 pm

i work for an outfitter in central ks and we have a 160 acre field and if you hit it right there are tons of pheasants in this one field and several coveys of quail if you hunt this field you will get your limit of pheasant and quail in an hour or so if you take your time let me know if your interested
kick'em up knock'em down

Anaconda Pintler

Post by Anaconda Pintler » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:49 pm

Do not give up hope I have been hunting KS for years now and have gained alot of access to quality private ground for nothing but the courtesy ofstopping and asking! There are alot of good folks out there yet and will always be when approached the right way!
Has nothing to do with luck just boot leather and a fine GWP...

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:07 am

Anaconda Pintler wrote:Do not give up hope I have been hunting KS for years now and have gained alot of access to quality private ground for nothing but the courtesy ofstopping and asking! There are alot of good folks out there yet and will always be when approached the right way!
I agree- back quite a few years that was the way- best is to be alone-

PrairieGoat

Post by PrairieGoat » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:57 pm

I actually had a farmer on a elevator run stop me while I was hunting a very small strip of WIHA last year and tell me that a couple of roosters had just crossed the road into the milo he had finishing cutting the day before and told me to have at 'em. This is one of the reasons that I will be spending my money and time back in KS again this year....it is the little things like this that give me hope for humanity! :D

Randy