Rooster City, S.D.

OhioVizsla

Rooster City, S.D.

Post by OhioVizsla » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:10 pm

It was just 2 of us & 2 dogs & we hunted 5.5 days, ( Nov. 9-14). Pheasants moved: about 850 (could have been higher, but once we had our daily limit, we moved to sharptail country to search for them).

Pheasants taken: 27 shot & retrieved, 1 cripple found that somebody else lost, & 1 rooster caught alive by the Brittany (Chomper). We also lost 2 birds that were dropped, but not retrieved. Oh, plus we hit a rooster that flew across the road while we were driving 75 mph, right at the base of the windshield. Wham, feathers everywhere!

Sharptails moved: about 150 (they we spooky, & we couldn't get close enough for many shots). We finally pass shot 2 after chasing them around for 3 afternoons.

We hunted only public lands & had no problem finding birds. My buddy had a few bad days hitting them, but still shot a bunch.

Anyone considering a trip should go, it's a blast, but it's exhausting as well. Make sure your dogs in top shape before going, because they will take a beating. My dog held up fine, except for his pads. They were nicked up, & sore after 3 days. He could barely walk through the motel's gravel parking lot, but hit the ground running when we got to the fields.

luke0927

Re: Rooster City, S.D.

Post by luke0927 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:44 pm

Sounds like an awesome trip....Im headed to KS tomorrow hope Im not let down from going to SD last year!

OhioVizsla

Post by OhioVizsla » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:02 am

Good luck out there! I have friends going Dec.7th. Is that a Tri-Tronics combo collar in your avatar? I have one & it turns too.

Beecher

Post by Beecher » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:56 pm

OhioVizsla wrote:Good luck out there! I have friends going Dec.7th. Is that a Tri-Tronics combo collar in your avatar? I have one & it turns too.
What part of Kansas are they going to, have they been there before, any reports? I may be going for the 1st time so I was wondering!

Beecher

Post by Beecher » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:59 pm

Did u stay in Rooster city? Is there a lot of public walk in areas nearby? I would love to plan for next year!

OhioVizsla

Post by OhioVizsla » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:12 pm

I just made up the "Rooster City" part because of all the birds we got into. We were in the center part of the state , east of the river. Get an atlas from the state, which marks the public areas, drive out here, & drive from place to place until you find one that looks good. It doesn't take long to find a good area. Some times you'll see birds running across the road into public areas from harvested fields. We would find a good spot for the 10:00am start, hunt till 12/12:30. Get in the truck, eat a sandwich as we drove & looked for the next spot.

Brushbustin Sporting Dogs

Post by Brushbustin Sporting Dogs » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:27 pm

What town did you stay in? I'm wanting to go up there again.
Robert Myers

Rajin Kennel

308-870-3448

Brittanys are Best enough said...

BBD's Ca-Ching
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1061

Brushbustin's Ebbie SH
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=678

BNJ's Dirty Dozen Dixie
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=869

bullseyebill

Post by bullseyebill » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:17 pm

The trip looked great and good weather to boot.Nice pics and a good lookin V.We leave for se N.D. Friday, hope we do half as well as you did.Thanks for posting.
Bill

OhioVizsla

Post by OhioVizsla » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:01 pm

Bill,
I'm guessing you'll do better. They were just starting to pick beans when we were there, 4 weeks ago. I have friends hunting S.D. now and they said the beans, sunflowers, & 1/2 the corn is in with more coming down each day. Good luck & post up when you return.
John

Springer

Post by Springer » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:25 pm

Bring your hip boots, it is wet. There is water to the edge of the sloughs, the birds were running on the ice but the dogs broke through, probably won't be much different this weekend with the temps in the 30's. Corn is coming off though they said it is about 50% now.
Kevin

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:56 pm

Wow, that's a lot of birds! Great photos and that sure is a good looking vizsla. :mrgreen: