Wild Bird Hunting in N.E. Georgia

billy

Wild Bird Hunting in N.E. Georgia

Post by billy » Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:22 pm

I had an opportunity today to Wild Quail Hunt on a deer lease in North Georgia. We were on the 500 acre lease for about an hour & half before we located a covey. We dropped the second brace of dogs on the ground in a river bottom section of the lease. In about 10 minutes of hunting the dogs pointed a covey of 12 - 15 birds. The birds immediately exploded to the sky like rockets. I was extremely surprised how quiet the flush was compared to pen raised birds. We had 5 additional flushes on singles in the next hour. The two dogs and I learned more about hunting in this hour than we have training in years. I have a newfound passion for the sport of training gun dogs.

**These birds were so wild that the honoring dog would flush them when slamming into a back!

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:22 pm

Nothing like it, huh Bill? You ought to make a trip to Tx and get 20-30 a day. (coveys) I have a client that is making his 3rd trip already! We are headed out in a couple of weeks. Hope they see some rain!
brenda

billy

Post by billy » Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:15 am

No, It is truly an experience for me & the dogs! I need to make a commitment to travel to TX for the training opportunities. I need to get some advice from the more experienced hunters on how to explain to your spouse your leaving for a week of hunting in TX. Any suggestions????

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:42 am

Say "bye".
brenda

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:43 am

snips wrote:Say "bye".
You go girl! =)

blanked

Post by blanked » Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:43 pm

Brenda
What part of TX are you refering to. This is my first year in TX and its been a real challenge since its been so dry. My dog cant smell anything. I dont understand why in Arizona and Calif its dry there also but the scent problem isnt as bad as it is in North Central TX. Throckmorten. I wonder if bobwhites give off less scent than gambels and valley?

billy

Post by billy » Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:58 pm

I'm still laughing!!!!! Great Advice! Have a safe trip to TX in the upcoming weeks! Please provide pictures when you return! It will inspire us newbie's to go!

pear

Post by pear » Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:17 pm

Well said Brenda.........."pear"
"When I was a kid, I used to pray every night for a new "puppy". Then I realized that the Lord, in his wisdom, didn't work that way. So I just stole one and asked him to forgive me".

Arti
Nikki
Diamond
Bailey

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:12 pm

We go to W. Tx around Snyder. Rick as been once already to around Abilene and conditions were bad. They had good covey points but too tough to get single points or for dogs to recover crippled birds. They desparetly need rain....
brenda

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:16 am

snips wrote:Say "bye".
ROTF! Rick is a lucky man!

Of course so am I, Jen tells me bye when she sees me getting antsy! Now, if I could only get her to come along with camera or gun!
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)