Us dang Utah boy's got out again!

crittercontrol

Us dang Utah boy's got out again!

Post by crittercontrol » Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:53 pm

Just wouldn’t be right if we didn’t get out and do a little hunting closing weekend. We’ve had a fun year, and the good number of birds has certainly helped our egos! ‘Course then my shooting takes care of that! 8)

Early on we tried a couple of likely looking spots, such as this sun exposed hillside, but to no avail.

After some hiking further on down the trail we finally got into some birds. These particular male chukar really had some big heads with very dark red beaks.

We busted a covey early on, and then followed up on some singles. Got several nice points out of Gur, which she held, and then retrieved to hand.

By days end we were pert-neer tuckered out. We did manage to get a nice brace of chukar between us. A cold and windy day, but fruitful nevertheless....

TAK

Post by TAK » Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:15 pm

Had a good one myself, really it was perfect! 5 shots 5 birds off of simply perfect points. I traveled the road 4wheeler and Clown ran the flats. When he pointed I went and shot. I moved 3 coveys with Clown and then let the other dogs run down the main canyon in front of the truck, moved the bigger coveys from the ROAD!
Then the train wreck with Speed. He moved 2 coveys and I really don't think he lost stride! He did stop to flush on a Raven tho!

Brett D.

Post by Brett D. » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:07 pm

NIce report. Thats some beautiful country out there. I am debating going out fo the last day of Quail tommorrow.Your report is making me lean towards going out.

birddog

Post by birddog » Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:39 am

I love the point picture!
That cover looks to rugged for for me. I can hardly make it up and down our small hills :lol:
That is some awsume country and one pretty dog.

Janet.

sdgord

utah

Post by sdgord » Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:31 am

Critter, darn nice pics again, that country looks way too tough for an old fat man like me. Nice pics nice dog.SDGORD

crittercontrol

Post by crittercontrol » Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:42 am

TAK wrote:Had a good one myself, really it was perfect! 5 shots 5 birds off of simply perfect points. I traveled the road 4wheeler and Clown ran the flats. When he pointed I went and shot. I moved 3 coveys with Clown and then let the other dogs run down the main canyon in front of the truck, moved the bigger coveys from the ROAD!
Then the train wreck with Speed. He moved 2 coveys and I really don't think he lost stride! He did stop to flush on a Raven tho!
Dangit were are gonna haf-to come out your way and hunt these easy chukar! Next year....

And while I didn't get five for five my shotting had vastly improved since out last outing! Only mised twice!

12 Volt Man

Post by 12 Volt Man » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:57 am

Great pics. Sorry I missed it. :( These Mr. Mom weekends are harder on a guy than a chukar hunt. Hopefully my wife gets a new schedule by next season.

Addict

Post by Addict » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:39 pm

It was a great hunt. CC ruled the day and couldn't miss. Guess I shouldn't have razzed him about missing so much on the last trip. I made up for it by missing everything this outing :lol:. It was great to get out one last time and watch some good dog work.

Thanks Dirtysteve for hooking us up with some new spots! Looking forward to doing it again next season.

Addict

RuttCrazed

Post by RuttCrazed » Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:16 pm

Anyone want to play hookey from work on Tuesday?

Rut

TAK

Post by TAK » Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:29 pm

RutCrazed wrote:Anyone want to play hookey from work on Tuesday?

Rut
I am thinking hard about it! I will know more Monday!

12 Volt Man

Post by 12 Volt Man » Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:43 pm

You guys are evil. I think I might be coming down with something.
TAK wrote:
RutCrazed wrote:Anyone want to play hookey from work on Tuesday?

Rut
I am thinking hard about it! I will know more Monday!

TAK

Post by TAK » Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:43 pm

Critter, I tried to call you last night and treat you to some easy shooting! Brian sorry I lost your number, so I was trying to contact Critter to get it and see if you guys wanted to try a new place.
I followed up today with 3 more, Not for the lack of birds but I ran Niki and she did not handle them to well. The wind was a bit stronger today and I had a ton of non productive pts and with me relocating her she bumbed them.
2nd time in my life to shoot a triple but this time it was with my 20 o/u. Shot two birds and then reloaded and 3 more birds took flight.

The best part I really don't think a soul goes in this area! The trail is an old cattle trail to a stock tank that has not one hole in it! (Seems Utah hunters find some sort of pleasure in shooting up peoples stuff) After talking to a friend of mine he said that there is some old Gold mines out there and the roads have since grown back in.
Next year will be good, there is about 2in. snow and on the sunny side I can start to see some new Cheat grass growth!

Dirtysteve

Post by Dirtysteve » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:48 am

Chukars off 4 wheelers? I couldn't image that.
CC & Addict we will have to get out a few more times next year. There is alot of country out there that needs to be hunted !
12Volt you better make it next time cause I need somebody to walk with. I can't keep up CC, I think he's part mountain goat :D
Last edited by Dirtysteve on Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

omega58

Post by omega58 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:57 am

Great pics, looks like some awesome country.

12 Volt Man

Post by 12 Volt Man » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:32 pm

12Volt you better make it next time cause I need somebody to walk with. I can't keep up CC, I think he's part mountain goat
I have said that about him myself. That boy can really climb.

RuttCrazed

Post by RuttCrazed » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:04 am

Well, you guys didn't miss out on much yesterday! I didn't make it to the spot I wanted to hit, due to a lot of drifted snow, so I decided to try another spot that looked promising. Once again the drifted snow (and the fact that I was alone and didn't want to get stuck) keep me from getting very close to the spot, so I took a loooong walk to get there and didn't even find a track when I did finally arrive. Even though I hiked my butt off and all I got were some pics of a few wild horses, it was still better than a day at work. The weather was awesome and I had the desert all to myself, I am already looking forward to next year.

Rut

crittercontrol

Post by crittercontrol » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:58 am

12 Volt Man wrote:
12Volt you better make it next time cause I need somebody to walk with. I can't keep up CC, I think he's part mountain goat
I have said that about him myself. That boy can really climb.
You guys are making me blush... :oops:

It was a great time, I'm glad we got out and did some chukar hunting this year! Now comes the training season and the trialing season! Yipee! :D