Western cast and blast advice

troutbum13

Western cast and blast advice

Post by troutbum13 » Fri May 13, 2011 4:13 pm

Will it looks like I will be unemployed this fall :D. It was not unexpected, in fact I have been planning on it for well over a year. I have a one year old griff, and I have a deposit on a DD from a litter that was born April 6th. Needless to say the wheels are turning and I am making plans. I plan on being in MT for pheasants in late October, did it last year and had a good time. I have also done a fair amount of river running and have the gear to do a float-trip to look for some chukar. I am trying to research, but all I have been able to find is outfitters and guided trips.

Right now I am considering:
Hells Canyon
Main Salmon
Yakima
Grande Ronde

Anyone have any experience on a multi-day cast and blast? I am thinking 5-7 days toward the beginning of Oct? Hunting definitely being the priority over fishing.

Quill Gordon

Re: Western cast and blast advice

Post by Quill Gordon » Fri May 13, 2011 10:12 pm

I personally like to hit one or the other hard, can't seem to be able to focus on both in only a day

ISAYWHOANOW

Post by ISAYWHOANOW » Tue May 17, 2011 3:26 pm

Pittsburg landing to hellers bar. Hells canyon my friend. Rip some lip brother. You do realize we have had 200% snow average year. It can be very rewarding. I do it every year and its awesome but I am a local. I normally run my jet boat in the fall. Rafts or dorries in the summer. I say get a guide unless you really know whats up?? ( I am going to take your word.). But would never tell any am. to try it!!! Certainly a death wish if you don't know whats up! ( Some of the biggest water in the world.!) The real deal. ( I have lost a couple friends to the river gods. :cry: ) It is a blast and cast and i recommend all to book a trip. (Guide would be the way to go.) The river shows no mercy for anyone. In a raft its a fun 4 day trip. Go get some brother. Well worth it. Its the real world.

Ryan.

dgfavor might be able to enlighten you. He was raised on that stretch I believe. Its the real deal. The water is white!!!!!!!

troutbum13

Post by troutbum13 » Tue May 17, 2011 9:05 pm

Hells looks awesome.

I thought most of the really big water (wild sheep and granite creek) was upstream from Pittsburg landing? Isn't Pittsburg to Heller mostly class III? We will most likely have 3 boats and everyone is pretty comfortable to class III-IV. Jet boat is probably the way to go once it gets cold, but a guide is too spendy, so drysuit it is....

Are bird numbers usually pretty good through that section? Do you usually have a license for both Oregon and Idaho? Or just stick to one side?

I've narrowed it down to hells canyon or the grande ronde. Two completely different trips though.

I appreciate the input. I am starting to get excited.

ISAYWHOANOW

Post by ISAYWHOANOW » Wed May 18, 2011 6:48 pm

troutbum13 wrote:Hells looks awesome.

I thought most of the really big water (wild sheep and granite creek) was upstream from Pittsburg landing? Isn't Pittsburg to Heller mostly class III? We will most likely have 3 boats and everyone is pretty comfortable to class III-IV. Jet boat is probably the way to go once it gets cold, but a guide is too spendy, so drysuit it is....

Are bird numbers usually pretty good through that section? Do you usually have a license for both Oregon and Idaho? Or just stick to one side?

I've narrowed it down to hells canyon or the grande ronde. Two completely different trips though.

I appreciate the input. I am starting to get excited.
It is mostly 3 and 4s. Nice float. great camping. It would be a great idea to get both licenses.(ore and idaho.) The birds can be right down at the water at times. Its tough country to walk but well worth the hikes. (Lots of burnt lungs but well worth it.). I would start pitts to hellers just to wet your whistle and move up from there. Theres a few rapids you need to know left or right for the best feed if you know what I mean. Great trip though.

Ryan.

I say do it.... Just remember that the only person that can save you is yourself in that country. (which its obvious you know.). Food for thought. One more thing there is a dead stretch that a $20 bill might get you a tow through if you are carrying cash. Or pack a trolling motor. The wind can blow hard up the canyon. (a little local knowledge. :wink: )
Last edited by ISAYWHOANOW on Wed May 18, 2011 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed May 18, 2011 7:16 pm

I always thought being unemployed was a bad thing. Man, do I envy you! :lol:

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Wed May 18, 2011 10:07 pm

dgfavor might be able to enlighten you. He was raised on that stretch I believe.
I know nothing of such things...
http://www.vimeo.com/17747136

And even less about casting...
http://www.vimeo.com/14471185

OK, couple freebies...yah, the bigger water is mostly above Pittsburgh...if you find a windshield in Waterspout, good chance it's outta our boat. If you've got 5-7 days, put in at the dam and do the whole thing - not sure the permit situation in October. Big smallies, big trout, big steelies, and reeealllly big sturgeon could all be on the agenda. No shells in the gun until your eyes are crossed, your shirt is soaked, the river looks really small below you, and you've left some skin in the rocks...then you can start shooting (sorry, it's just the rules). :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifNGh1Qn ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcyvE6WnFE4

sdpowskier

Post by sdpowskier » Tue May 31, 2011 2:28 pm

I'm usually just a lurker on here, but couldn't resist not commenting on this. We did the lower Salmon last year to Hellers Bar on the Snake at the beginning of October. When you can combine whitewater rafting, fishing and bird hunting it doesn't get much better.

Here's my two cents:
Rafting: There is nothing over class III that time of year, although I can't recall the exact cfs. Pretty much read and run the entire river, if your used to self guiding your own river trip. If you haven't before I would get a guide. Also, when you make the turn onto the Snake, prepare for wind and lots of rowing if you don't have a motor. The sand beaches are huge and rival any river.
Birds: We came across mainly chuckar and some quail. We didn't have any bird dogs, but there were plenty of birds down by the water along the way and easily accessible. I have a bird dog for this year's trip :D
Fishing: Steelhead and Salmon are running that time of year, we hit just the beginning of the main run. This was my first time fishing for them and it was very difficult. However, my friend that was along is a very good fisherman and managed to catch a few. We also caught, small mouth bass, pike minnow, and a catfish down on the Snake.

I"m sure the Snake is just as good, either way you can't go wrong. I just purchased the Idaho license as only the last 15-20 miles were both.

My friend, the fisherman, wrote a short story about the trip for a local magazine published here in southwestern MT. I'm the "accountant on vacation"

http://www.explorebigsky.com/publications -- scroll down to the magazine section, it's on page 24-25.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:12 pm

I have a bird dog for this year's trip :D
Right on - put that puppy to use, get some sweat on your brow and get a real feel for actual chukar huntin' - you'll love it!! Somethin' about "Hunters dressed in shorts and life jackets took their shots from their rafts" just kinda takes the romance out of it!! :lol: In all seriousness, those accounts are what give the cast and blast trips such a bad name - akin to road huntin'...but to each their own within the law I guess. :wink:

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:14 pm

sdpowskier wrote:I have a bird dog for this year's trip
Two things I would reccommend with a dog.
1. Make sure your dog is well snake broke. There is no way you can get to a vet quickly from the river.
2. Chukars run up and fly down. Decide early how high you want to climb. It is the deepest canyon in the US and it is along way from the river to the top. I've hunted from the top on the Waha side in Idaho and watch birds go clear to the river.

Wenaha

Post by Wenaha » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:17 pm

The heck's Canyon stretch is good, but there can be a lot of people jetting up and down by the time chukar season opens.

The Grande Ronde is a great float from either Troy or Boggan's. Or you can launch at Shumacher and float to Heller's Bar on the Snake. Shuttle service is available at Boggan's. The problem with the Ronde is the amount of private land - your hunting will be limited. You can get an up to date BLM map, and if you know how to use it, you can find a lot of birds (and 5 species) on the south side of the River.

I would also suggest that you consider the John Day. Great float and excellent smallmouth bass and chukars.
Life is short
Quit your job.
Turn off the TV.
Go outside and play.

My Blog: Living with Bird Dogs

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:51 pm

The waters a runnin' thru there now!! Never seen it so high. Changes the whole look of the thing - some places without any rapids that are usually rippin' and some monsters in places you never see a ripple. No birds.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:01 pm

Doug in the last pic your wife is she not HAPPY?? :)

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:36 pm

that is cool...

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:36 pm

:lol: :lol: Warned her not to sit there - didn't listen (pointer person :roll: ).

MO_GSP

Post by MO_GSP » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:14 am

that sure is some beautiful country, thanks for making me itch to get back out west!