Getting back in the field--photos

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Getting back in the field--photos

Post by wems2371 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:28 pm

Yippee, nesting season officially ended July 15th. I loaded the dogs up early on the 18th and headed out to a favorite haunt, trying to beat the heat. I didn't have big expectations between the amount of summer cover, our lacking bird numbers, and all the neighboring crop fields...but mostly wanted to let the dogs burn some much needed energy off. I must give off some kind of hunting vibe or pheromone, or they truly understood my conversation with my husband a couple days before. I didn't even make it to the garage to get my vest, the collars, etc...before the whining started.

I got to the WMA and headed out, intending to hit up a couple ponds along the way, to water them off. Hadn't been there in months, so I was also looking to see the changes that had been made. We were about 10 minutes in when we hit our first watering hole. I was trying to get a photo of the 2 dogs in the water, when a duck took to the air in front of my older dog. It always amazes me how this little mudpuddle holds ducks.

The next behavior I'd never seen before, and that was what appeared to be a hen mallard, circling us multiple times...and I wondered about ducklings. Probably just 60 seconds elapsed from that hen taking off, and my older dog going to get back in the water, and a separate hen dove in front of her. I thought it might turn into a never ending duck chase or search, but I was able to get them called off and back into the uplands. Meanwhile the hen circled low, with Brandi mistakenly thinking she might have a chance at it, at one point.

Our 2nd watering hole was a huge disappointment, having dried up to about 1/3 of it's normal size. I could hear water running out, and while it was in the weeds, it appeared the overflow was a good 1-2' above the water line. Not sure if there's a leak or if they are draining it for a purpose. I was too chicken to get close to the water, in the tall weeds, to check the overflow out.

A minute later, and 100' from the shoreline, I saw a piece of plyboard lying flat next to a marker post. I wondered if maybe it had writing on it and had blown over, so not having the aforethought to be chicken at that moment :D , I picked it up to discover a snake in hiding. We don't have much for poisonous snakes here, so I wasn't scared, and my first thought was to get a photo.

Just a scenic shot.

A new surprise, as last years bean plot had been tilled up for sunflowers. Unfortunately it appeared the weeds out number the sunflowers significantly.

This morning, July 24th, we headed out again to the same WMA. We hit up the same little mudhole 1st, with no ducks this time, and headed up the next hill. Brandi was acting a little goofy, but then started rolling in something. Roxi was doing her own thing and I looked over to see her on point. She can be a naughty little mouse pointer, but I was pretty sure her head was up too high for that. She held steady, and soon enough a little hen bust from the cover off of her right flank, and I managed to get a shot...a camera shot that is. Half a minute later, a young rooster rose a ways in front of me, in an area I knew Brandi had made it too. I have a good feeling the youngster birds had been together and parted ways, trying to make a run for it.

Birdwork is hot work in this weather.

You will never see a dog that loves water more than Roxi...except when it comes to baths.

Brandi giving me the evil eye for snapping yet another photo. I think she's also wondering when the new Garmin will arrive, and we will combine everything on one collar. :roll:

So not a bad start to the scouting season, and we did see one more rooster flush wild, while we were afield. It's good to be back and hope you enjoy!

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Re: Getting back in the field--photos

Post by GUNDOGS » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:16 pm

looooove the pics, what a story they tell..so nice to see the dogs out havin fun :D thanks for sharing.....ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:44 pm

I really enjoyed the photos and narration! The dogs are looking great!!

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:06 pm

Very nice. Always makes me wonder too how they know you are going hunting before you even get started.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Born2Hunt

Post by Born2Hunt » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:31 am

Great photos and good looking dogs. What kind of camera are you using?

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:37 pm

Thanks all!

I'm using a Canon Eos Rebel XTI with a 80-200 mm lens for the field.

tnbndr

Post by tnbndr » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:20 am

Nice photos. I will be heading out to our favorite spot soon. Nesting season ends at the end of the month. One dog healing from surgery should be ready by then to run and do some refresher training.
Those collars to seem to be a nuisance don't they?
Nice pictures.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:23 am

tnbndr wrote:Nice photos. I will be heading out to our favorite spot soon. Nesting season ends at the end of the month. One dog healing from surgery should be ready by then to run and do some refresher training.
Those collars to seem to be a nuisance don't they?
Nice pictures.
Thanks! Yeah, I look like I'm trying to stretch her neck for some kind of tribal thing. When the new Garmin comes, we'll pair the same collar with her e-collar. I'm kind of waffling if I keep the separate every day ID collar on, or add an ID to the electronics collar--if there's even room. I wonder if someone trys to take my dog while we're afield, or more so just the electronics off of my dog, if I shouldn't leave the separate ID collar on...so that she has something left to aid in her return. :?:

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:16 pm

Beautiful pics!
brenda

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:24 am

Good stuff, thanks for sharing!

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:09 am

What great photos, wems2371! Thanks for putting them up. :mrgreen:
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:37 pm

beautiful dogs!
PSA: DO NOT SELL ANYTHING TO "MRCREOLE", HE WILL RIP YOU OFF, JUST LIKE HE HAS RIPPED ME OFF (I will not edit this signature until I am paid by him)

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:13 pm

Great photos - I disagree with your assessment of the sunflower field though - weeds are AWESOME and will provide some good cover for broods feeding in the area. It might be less than ideal for doves - but great for quail!

kylemac

Post by kylemac » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:27 pm

Great pics --- thanks! :mrgreen:

Hondo

Post by Hondo » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:54 pm

Great pictures. I love the narration as well.

Keep them coming.

-Hondo

bfred

Post by bfred » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:05 pm

Wow! What a fine looking pair of Pointers you have.

Pictures are incredible.

Thanks for sharing.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:50 pm

Thanks again!!!

Bfred--Hey GDF neighbor, I'm about an hour NW of you. :wink:

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:58 pm

Good shootin'!! :mrgreen: Fun stuff!

ddoyle

Post by ddoyle » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:15 am

Wow! Thanks those pics are awesome. Ran our dogs on our one piece of public land in the county on Friday morning (I am in the Quad Cities) and saw about 8 birds!!!!
Doyle

bfred

Post by bfred » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:20 am

wems2371 wrote:Thanks again!!!

Bfred--Hey GDF neighbor, I'm about an hour NW of you. :wink:
Right on. Glad I decided to join this site.
Been learning a few things just reading previous posts.
Who knows, may even lead to meeting a few of you some time. 8)