Wyoming hunting?

JWP58

Wyoming hunting?

Post by JWP58 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:52 am

As of now it looks like i'm about 90% sure i'm going to be moving to Wyoming. I'll be moving from Texas, dont get me wrong i'm a proud born and raised Texan but the summers are just ridiculous.

I have a few reasons for moving, and to be honest hunting is one of them (public land and more birds/big game). What type of birds does Wyoming have (i assume grouse and pheasant)? I would assume the eastern part of the state has more birds. I'm not too worried about Wyoming not having a ton of birds, because its so close to other states with various birds (SD, ND, MT, ID, UT, CO, ect)

Also i'm hoping to relocate to Casper or Chyenne.
PSA: DO NOT SELL ANYTHING TO "MRCREOLE", HE WILL RIP YOU OFF, JUST LIKE HE HAS RIPPED ME OFF (I will not edit this signature until I am paid by him)

CowboyBirdDogs

Re: Wyoming hunting?

Post by CowboyBirdDogs » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:01 pm

Lucky! No more 50+ days of 100* weather and a ton of hunting opportunities. Sounds like a win-win to me!

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:05 pm

Exactly!

But hey, this isnt going to get me booted from teh TGDC is it? lol
PSA: DO NOT SELL ANYTHING TO "MRCREOLE", HE WILL RIP YOU OFF, JUST LIKE HE HAS RIPPED ME OFF (I will not edit this signature until I am paid by him)

Wyobio

Post by Wyobio » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:50 pm

Lots of people out here from Texas with the natural gas boom....

The state is not known for its great bird hunting. There are some sharpies, huns and chukar on the east side, but nothing like MT or the Dakotas. If you are willing to walk the forest and get to know the right habitat, you can have some great days on mountain grouse (blues and ruffs). It is very different than hunting the plains species LOTS of vertical and seemingly empty country. I hunt with a GWP and have a great time, kill plenty of birds over points and never see another hunter.

I have only been out 3 times this fall. The opener was funny in that all the young birds were still very small becuase of our super late spring. We had cool, wet weather through June, and the the birds did not get a decent hatch until really late. I passed on 6-8 shots at small ruffs, let em get a bit larger. On the next outing, I passed on another 7 birds, but shot 2. My dog inadvertantly flushed 4 moose and 2 bull elk. Not Texas for sure.

My next trip found 2 older male blue grouse that were pretty wary--but liked to land in trees. Forest grouse think they are safe from predators when they land in trees, and it can end up being quite comical as you kick the trunk and throw rocks trying to get them to flush! Without a pointing dog that can pin them before they head for the trees you will not get many oportunties.

Wyoming is great, but it has long winters, which can be trying on the mind. The east side is milder, but windier. The big game hunting is fantastic, once you are a resident....

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:13 pm

The wind i can handle, I've been out in west texas for the past 6yrs....lets just say the largest wind farm is just north of here for a reason.

I would love to try grouse hunting, i'm a total newbie to upland hunting anyway so i'm all about trying to hunt everything i can. And i REALLY want to hunt chukar!

Sounds good to me, some birds, plenty of big game, and in easy driving distance to better bird populations.

Thanks for the info!...keep it coming.

bwjohn

Post by bwjohn » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:40 pm

sage grouse as well, can be a real fun hunt.

brandon

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:10 am

Sage Grouse are the largest grouse right?

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:40 pm

Does WY have a Dove season?