Testing New Backtrack Dtour

tnbndr

Testing New Backtrack Dtour

Post by tnbndr » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:11 pm

Purchased a Bushnell Backtrack Dtour to help me find my vehicle after running circles hunting grouse and woodcock. After several trial runs I finally got it to work on a pheasant hunt on a game farm. I am happy with the results. Pretty simple to use, although it does sometimes take a while to lock onto a satellite. Next adventure is I am having a pocket sewn into a dog vest so that I can put it on the dog and see how far she runs and how much of the field she covers.
The return to marked point, like vehicle is spot on also.

This hunt I walked 4.2 miles at a rate of 1.4mph.

Max2

Re: Testing New Backtrack Dtour

Post by Max2 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:21 am

Last year I bought the Back track 5 and I also have a lot of faith in it. Simple to use & I find it accurate. Every now & again we check new cover not so close to home and it has not let us down .

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:42 am

That's pretty neat! How much is the Backtrack?

tnbndr

Post by tnbndr » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:48 am

Gander sells it for $99 but I shopped ebay for a new in box @$70.

MTR

Post by MTR » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:25 am

Hey - I know those grounds! Looks cool and a great price to boot! Having the feature to know how far your dog has run is nice to have - will be interesting to see how the pocket works on the vest.. I have really enjoyed starting a new tracklog in the morning before starting the hunt to see just how far I have walked over the day chasing Mr. rough around the northwoods!
- Rob

Two barrels next to each other and two triggers - one behind the other!

tnbndr

Post by tnbndr » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:57 pm

Next two weekends deer hunting so it will be 3 - 4 weeks before I can test it on the dog but I will report back.
Have you hunted those grounds? My first time there, it was a nice field with varying terrain and cover. Windy day, we saw 13 birds and bagged 6. Some never got shot at.

MTR

Post by MTR » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:28 pm

I train there with the Kettle Moraine NAVHDA chapter during the spring and summer. They grounds and cover are kept in pretty good shape. Hoping to get over there for a fall hunt after deer season. Sounds like you had a great hunt!
- Rob

Two barrels next to each other and two triggers - one behind the other!

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:01 pm

TN,
Got to tell you I had the exact oppsite experience, bought a back tracker for my Grouse hunting and tried to use it in the Pa big forest, to say it did not work would be an understatement. It was unable to pick up a decent satelite signal on three different mountians where we hunt. This might be a great tool for out in the mid west or even in the west but here in the eastern thick forest its a bust. The same for the Sport Dog tracking collars, just a big waste of money.
RGD/Dave
Last edited by Ryman Gun Dog on Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:49 am, edited 3 times in total.

tnbndr

Post by tnbndr » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:11 pm

Ryman:
That is not the first time I have heard that, but I had to give it a try and it seems to work OK. I was out this weekend on a really cloudy day and it took quite a while for it to lock onto a satellite. I will keep playing with it. I am taking it deer hunting next week where we drive deer all week and see what happens.

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:47 am

TN,
I really wish these things did work in the forest, it would be really nice new technology.
RGD/Dave

donnie_19

Post by donnie_19 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:03 pm

I have similar app on my Evo phone for walking, jogging or biking. It records the route and speed. Free app and if you have cell coverage it works. Used it all over the midwest with out a problem. Cardio Trainer.