Best boots for the rocks

pumatom

Best boots for the rocks

Post by pumatom » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:09 pm

The old style Vibram soles are properly the most durable.
Any particular brand or style hold up better than others in the rims and cliffs ?

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Re: Best boots for the rocks

Post by ultracarry » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:07 pm

Lowa boots, Danner pronghorn or GTX.

crewzm

Post by crewzm » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:15 pm

Danner RAT's get pretty good reviews from the troops in Afghanistan. I got a pair last year and they held up alot better after a year in the field than my pronghorns did.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:34 pm

Lol sorry about the pronghorns... They hold up ok, but you will need to fill out the warranty card when you get them. After the season is over send them back because the stitching will start to fall out. Get a new pair and do the same. My GTX lasted two years before I destroyed them, not from use....

TraditionsGSPs2010

Post by TraditionsGSPs2010 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:38 pm

You might take a look at the Meindl's from Cabelas. They take a while to break in but have held up better than any pair of Danners or Irish Setters I have ever had. The bonus is they come with Cabelas ledgendary guarantee. Personally, I am going to have a hard time ever going back to something else.
David Hughes
Traditions Shorthairs

The Will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

brule

Post by brule » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:57 am

I've got a pair of Asolo Sassalongs and they are a tough boot. Made to take a beating and I've done plenty of that to them. Few of my buddies that I hunt with wear Kenetreks and they love them.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:52 am

TraditionsGSPs2010 wrote:You might take a look at the Meindl's from Cabelas. They take a while to break in but have held up better than any pair of Danners or Irish Setters I have ever had. The bonus is they come with Cabelas ledgendary guarantee. Personally, I am going to have a hard time ever going back to something else.
Cabelas stopped thier legendary guarantee.... A lot of people don't know that they changed it.

coveydogs

Post by coveydogs » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:43 am

You might want to check out Kenetrek. The soles on these are amazing. No flex, great for the rocks, designed for sheep hunters. Work great for chuckar hunters. I have a pair for the mountain extreme non-insulated. http://www.kenetrek.com/

Wyobio

Post by Wyobio » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:59 am

ultracarry wrote:
TraditionsGSPs2010 wrote:You might take a look at the Meindl's from Cabelas. They take a while to break in but have held up better than any pair of Danners or Irish Setters I have ever had. The bonus is they come with Cabelas ledgendary guarantee. Personally, I am going to have a hard time ever going back to something else.
Cabelas stopped thier legendary guarantee.... A lot of people don't know that they changed it.
Hmm. I just returned a fishing rod that I purchased 5 years ago that broke on a fishing trip to Mexico. They replaced it, no charge, no questions asked. This was 2 weeks ago. I buy a ton of stuff from Cabelas, and when something is faulty, does not fit or breaks, I return it. I have never had a problem....

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:13 am

Interesting.... You must have a good account with them . I worked there for two years and they started to decline people a lot when they tried to return things...

I have quite a few friends that work there and they said it is no longer the same 100% lifetime... Optics are the biggest change.

TRoberts

Post by TRoberts » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:30 pm

Kenetrek!!! or if you the money custom Russells....
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed."

Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution

QuillGordon

Post by QuillGordon » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:44 pm

Wore out a pair of Kenetreks in a year hiking, scouting & hunting for Chukar, Ruffs & Blue Grouse. I found that they do soak through and for the most part are an uncomfortable boot. Break-in period 50 miles my "bleep". I've had better luck with Danner Talus GTX & Meindl's. I find the Meindl's "r" on the heavy side. So the best boot I have found for Chuks in volcanic rock are the Danners.

Not that I'm done lookin

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:26 pm

My first pair of pronghorn did great. But the last 3 pair have not lasted a full season. If Cabela's doesn't take this pair back again, ( took them back 3 time and they replace them with a new pair) I am going with something new.
Steve

pumatom

Post by pumatom » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:30 am

I was looking at a pair of Danner's at D+B supply, a new model they looked sturdy.
Can't recall the name, but the price was $300.oo plus!

desullivan

Post by desullivan » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:04 pm

Danner Pronghorns- I have my second pair and hunt regularly with them. First pair lasted 4 seasons-this pair is on my 3rd season. The best thing about them for me has been zero breakin time and no rubs or blisters. Compared to my new Irish Setters which were comfortable around the neihborhood with medium hills but blistered me first time in mountains. Waste of 200 bucks.

Christopher

Post by Christopher » Tue May 08, 2012 10:33 pm

La Sportiva Trango GTX boots serve me well.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Wed May 09, 2012 8:56 am

I lived in White's (smokejumper) and Nick's (hotshot) for about 6 summers while I was fighting fire and I can honestly say that once you break them in (or rather they break you in) they're the best boots for being on your feet for long periods in steep, rocky country for multiple days. Breaking into them is the hard part but I still wear mine to work in the field and chukar hunting. Probably not for everybody but I swear by mine. http://www.nicksboots.com/ http://www.whitesboots.com/index.php?di ... t_id=29867
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

volraider

Post by volraider » Wed May 09, 2012 9:56 am

If you buy danner get the ones made in the USA don't buy the cheap ones from china. I have a pair of grouse boots that I love and a pair of sharptails that are not so good.

Stilly Bay

Post by Stilly Bay » Wed May 09, 2012 2:48 pm

QuillGordon wrote:Wore out a pair of Kenetreks in a year hiking, scouting & hunting for Chukar, Ruffs & Blue Grouse. I found that they do soak through and for the most part are an uncomfortable boot. Break-in period 50 miles my "bleep". I've had better luck with Danner Talus GTX & Meindl's. I find the Meindl's "r" on the heavy side. So the best boot I have found for Chuks in volcanic rock are the Danners.

Not that I'm done lookin

+1 on the danner combat hikers. one of the very few boots that were designed to be used in chukar country.

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Sat May 12, 2012 5:51 pm

ultracarry wrote:Lowa boots, Danner pronghorn or GTX.
Another vote for Lowas. I only recently replaced mine after about 7 years with a pair of GTXs. The previous pair had been in the Rockies, Moab, and lots of places in between.

They are a light, well built boot with excellent soles & good support. The also seem to require little, if any, "break in" time.

FWIW,
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Mon May 14, 2012 11:51 am

Meindl Denali's two chukar seasons and still going strong!