closest wild phez to ohio?

big_fish

closest wild phez to ohio?

Post by big_fish » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:51 pm

I live in eastern ohio and all we hunt are pen raised birdsits a blast but I would really like to hunt some wild birds where would be the closest state with a wild population ill?or does indiana have any? or is it out to SD? any info would br great thanks
I will take the dog and not the gun but never the gun without the dog !

moneysshot

Re: closest wild phez to ohio?

Post by moneysshot » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:11 am

Maybe check out Iowa?

http://www.pheasantsforever.org/page/1/ ... recast.jsp

Im not too familiar with their Habitat Access Program, but I'm sure its like Nebraska's CRP program.

whatsnext

Post by whatsnext » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:44 am

While Illinois does have some decent numbers right now it is hard to find good private land and the public land while not bad would not be worth the drive. I would look at the states that have walk in hunting areas ,i would believe those would be your best chance and while it will be more expensive we have to pay to play in this game.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:51 am

There are a few, comparably, wild pheasants in Ohio...problem is access as you likely know....they do exist tho and arer doing ok-ish.
Some released birds will overlast a while and mimic wild birds as well.
Better opportunities for each in Pennsylvania where the Marcellus has enabled the PGC to up the releases.
Pa birds fly, run and cackle well.
Dogs care little whether wild or released.....just don't follow the bird truck and the experience is worth the effort.

Iowa has not recovered from the winter of a few years ago and CRP drop is an issue...I was there a week ago....cross it off for a spell.
Most plains states experienced the same issues.
Kansas lost chicks due to the drought but old roosters remain in good numbers in some areas.
We found birds but the ratio of young to old was 30 % or less...not a good thing.
Next Spring will really tell the tale in most of the plains...especially KS.
I would consider Kansas tho and lower expectations......and learn to hunt tall wheat and be quiet.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:41 pm

You wont find much in IN. I have incountered a few pockets of wild phez on a couple farms we hunt in the northwest portion of the state, but you would be hardpressed to find enough to justify the trip.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

big_fish

Post by big_fish » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:31 pm

thanks for all the info still kicking it around .We are thinking what we would spend in fuel and lodging we could hunt one of the game farms here in ohio and shoot birds all day long but there is something about the thought of wild birds in wild places
I will take the dog and not the gun but never the gun without the dog !

moneysshot

Post by moneysshot » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:43 pm

big_fish wrote:there is something about the thought of wild birds in wild places
Welcome to my world brotha. Like many have said, the drought has been devastating. Last week I spent almost 2 hrs driving south, nearly to the KS border, and all of the CRP except for 1 field was cut down to an inch. I rarely pay to hunt, unless im training a young pup, but I can definitely see how it is justifiable in conditions like these. Good luck in your endeavors for wild birds...there's something magical about watching your dogs go crazy and then seeing a giant old wiley cock get up cackling cause you just busted him out of his secret spot

donnie_19

Post by donnie_19 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:56 pm

I spent 5 days in KS last week hoping and wishing for the best. My dog had 1 point in 5 days. Tough to make a wild bird dog with conditions like that. As my old bird hunting buddy used to say, hard to make a bird dog with out birds. Had a good time with friends but would have been better served as far as my dog to work a few birds on a controlled shooting area. I have several farms to hunt in southern Iowa that always had some birds but, won't waste my money or time this year.

AtTheMurph

Post by AtTheMurph » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:58 pm

big_fish wrote:I live in eastern ohio and all we hunt are pen raised birdsits a blast but I would really like to hunt some wild birds where would be the closest state with a wild population ill?or does indiana have any? or is it out to SD? any info would br great thanks
I hunt both IN and Ill as well as WI.

All have some birds if you can get on the right private land. Of the three Illinois has proven to me to have the most birds. I've seen upwards of 300 in a day. Not unusual for me to see 60-80 a day and usually see at least 25 at a minimum. In Illinois it's Iroquois and Ford counties that have the best hunting most birds. The first time I hunted there I was shocked, not by the number of birds (although that shocked me too) but by what these guys hunted.

We pulled up to a cut bean field and my buddy told two of us to get out. He pointed to a tree about a 1/2 mile out into this field and said there's a ditch out there. Walk to it and follow it towards the road. The guy with me had never hunted IL before and like me was from WI. He was bitching the whole way complaining there wasn't any cover and there couldn't be any birds and he had gotten up at 4:30am to get there.... We got to the ditch walked about another half mile and my dog started to act birdy. About 50 boiled out of a brushy pile and a covey of quail took off too.

Indiana I saw about 60-70 opening day. The best area is close to Illinois - Benton Co, Newton and White counties but I have been told there are also some birds in NE IN north of Ft Wayne.

Wi has been disappointing. I used to hunt pheasant in SW WI with very good results (Lafayette County) but the population there is almost extinct. I own land in Washington and Fond Du Lac counties (East Central) and those are now two of the best spots. We have birds and the populations seem to be increasing. Dodge and Fond Du Lac are supposed to be the two best in the Badger state.

jetjockey

Post by jetjockey » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:11 pm

I know of a farm in PA that has released birds that are just as "wild" as early season SD wild birds. He has a 5 acre flight pen and plants crops inside the pen for food, so the birds fly and run just like wild birds. He releases 500 or so birds about a month before the season starts and then constantly replenishes the farm as the season progresses. While they aren't true wild birds, if someone didn't tell me they were pen raised I wouldn't know it. It's the best non-wild pheasant hunting I've ever had.