Loads of birds ..dog doesn't scent them??

crappieguy

Loads of birds ..dog doesn't scent them??

Post by crappieguy » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:59 am

Went to our sister - in -laws acreage for an outdoor barbeque during the afternoon of New Years eve.
Took, my dog Belle with us. While outside building a large warming fire..we noticed that the birch and mountain ash trees were literally full of ruffed grouse. We counted 11 and then the kids said there were more in a spruce tree about 50 yards away.
Took Belle over to let her point them out but she just sort of roamed around in the snow underneath the trees unaware of the birds.

We have about 2' of snow on the ground..it was about-19 deg Celcius and the birdes were up about 15 - 20 ft in the trees and no wind plus the temp was dropping.
normally she's right onto birds even perched birds...could the weather have been a factor?

It wasn't hunting season just wanted to see her point a bonanza of birds and nothing happened??
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." Benjamin Franklin

topher40
GDF Junkie

Re: Loads of birds ..dog doesn't scent them??

Post by topher40 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:31 pm

The only reason I can see the dog to point is by sight, there doesnt seem to be any reason for a dog to point a bird they cannot smell. :roll:
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

vartz04

Post by vartz04 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:13 pm

Bad genes

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:25 pm

With the conditions you described it is highly unlikely any dog is going to scent and point birds. They are difficult when elevated that high even in warmer breezy conditions. I would call it a non-event in my mind.

vartz04

Post by vartz04 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:31 pm

Valid point. When my dog was a pup is hide phez wings for him in the yard. He wouldn't ever find any that I put in bushes much more than nose high.

Easy way to find if you have a problem is plant a few birds.

crappieguy

Post by crappieguy » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:17 pm

It's really strange because she was red hot hunting all fall. Pointed a lot of birds from Sept 06 thru Dec...missed one weekend because an injury to her foot.Just seemed weird because she had been picking up birds in spruce trees about 3 weeks ago. Maybe as some say weather conditions.Six weeks ago she was picking them up from the truck before even getting into the woods.
We weren't hunting just thought it would be a fun opportunity.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." Benjamin Franklin

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:14 pm

crappieguy wrote:It's really strange because she was red hot hunting all fall. Pointed a lot of birds from Sept 06 thru Dec...We weren't hunting just thought it would be a fun opportunity.

Perhaps she had other ideas of fun.
Maybe that bar-b-que.
Consider worrying about something actually important.

mask

Post by mask » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:24 pm

Kind of makes you understand why hunters use tree stands.

crappieguy

Post by crappieguy » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:34 pm

Thanks folks...there were a lot of people at the barbeque and the smell of hot dogs and marshmallows in the air...it's not important because she did have a super fall. Just made me wonder about the scent from the birds and the weather conditions at this time of the year. It was pretty cold for her too as she lives in the home.

phoenix

Post by phoenix » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:42 pm

No offense mate but you set your pup up to fail. How was the scent cone supposed to get to the dog under the tree? Doubt the grouse walked to the tree & climbed up. Just saying that a good read on scent & scenting conditions may help you get your pup into situations that favor scenting success. Maybe there are guys here with dogs that point grouse 15' up a tree, I doubt it though.

crappieguy

Post by crappieguy » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:29 pm

Actually didn't set her up for failure...the birds were there , we were there...at a barbeque and she was walking under the trees loaded with grouse...didn't ask her to find them ...wasn't hunting....just thought that perhaps the scent would drop as she has picked up on birds in the trees. We didn't even let on to her that there were birds. We just found it very interesting that a dog that is so birdy wasn't picking up the scent...that's why I noted the weather conditions for anyone else that has happened onto a similar situation. This whole scenario has kind of gone from interesting to defending myself...that wasn't the intent....lighten up guys!
Just wondered if this had ever happened to anyone else.

Meller

Post by Meller » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:52 pm

Was it mourning or evening? Scent seems to rize in the mourning and fall in the evening, at least that is what I experienced when I used to bow hunt. :)

phoenix

Post by phoenix » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:02 pm

crappieguy wrote:Actually didn't set her up for failure...the birds were there , we were there...at a barbeque and she was walking under the trees loaded with grouse...didn't ask her to find them ...wasn't hunting....just thought that perhaps the scent would drop as she has picked up on birds in the trees. We didn't even let on to her that there were birds. We just found it very interesting that a dog that is so birdy wasn't picking up the scent...that's why I noted the weather conditions for anyone else that has happened onto a similar situation. This whole scenario has kind of gone from interesting to defending myself...that wasn't the intent....lighten up guys!
Just wondered if this had ever happened to anyone else.

Lol you cant take forums to seriously. Thats why I started with " no offense" Sorry if I misunderstood, the post just cane across to me as "concern" vs "curious"

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:57 am

non event - proves nothing . Set up a real situation to set your mind at ease. If my dog had to choose between a steak and a bird ...........I wouldn't put any money on it. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

crappieguy

Post by crappieguy » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:51 pm

Middle of the afternoon with the smell of burgers, hotdogs and marshmallows...was thinking she'd ignore that stuff.....have to stop and think before opening computer and inserting foot...thankyou for all the answers.