New Member! Happy to be here

AlbertaChessie

New Member! Happy to be here

Post by AlbertaChessie » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:13 pm

Hi Folks. New to the forum. Coming all the way from North Central Alberta Canada. Just recently recieved my new Chesapeake Pup, after running Labs my whole life. Pup is just a day over 4 months now and is deifnitely on pace to be ready for some simple work come opening day in September. Already a bird freak, retrieving live birds, holding a strong line and hunting up a storm every evening crushing through the bush on his evening run with me. To be honest I had my hesitations about the breed after reading countless bits of info about how hard headed they could be/aggressive/slow learning etc etc etc. However, Gunner is easily the smartest quickest learning retriever Ive ever owned. I had him on live birds at 2 months and he hits them like a lion on a gazelle. Almost had myself convinced to go with a GSP but after shooting over a couple in Alberta during late October, over water, I quickly settled on another lab or Chessie. Hoping to get some good info on training from other members here! I will post pics.....as soon as I figure out how.

Cheers mates

Vision

Re: New Member! Happy to be here

Post by Vision » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:43 pm

AlbertaChessie wrote: Almost had myself convinced to go with a GSP but after shooting over a couple in Alberta during late October, over water, I quickly settled on another lab or Chessie.

So you went Orange hunting with two Apples and decided Apples don't cut it when you Orange hunt.

AlbertaChessie

Post by AlbertaChessie » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:30 am

Ya pretty much. Had a couple guys ive met swear their GSP's could do everything the big water dogs could do and more so i elected to set up a couple shoots with them late season on some big Northern birds.....and well.....they were proven wrong. Glad we did it though

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:18 am

Youll have to let me know what you think of the chessie pup up there in canada! Im a lab fan and have my first lab now,
Isaac and Banks
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.

Rod W

Post by Rod W » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:27 pm

Sounds like he's already got a good home! I don't think you went wrong, for a duck dog! ROD
"Democracy dies when the people wanting their government to take care of them outnumber those wanting to take care of themselves!"

We usually learn,, to overcome IGNORANCE,, but STUPIDITY cannot be overcome!!!

Life Member NRA

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:54 am

Welcome, good to see a fellow Canadian.
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr