Your best dog (pics)

twicebarrel

Your best dog (pics)

Post by twicebarrel » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:16 pm

:idea: I enjoy pics of all bird dogs doing what they were bred to do. How about posting a picture of your best dog here? I'll start with Abby, my now 12 year old english setter. I have three of her pups who now carry the heavy lifting in my hunting, but mom will always be tops in my eyes.

Scott

Post by Scott » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:42 am

Great Picture! Thanks for sharing that one. I will have to see if I have any to post too. I am bad about taking the camera into the field. I need to work on that. I want to have some of those memories photographed.

Great post!

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:46 pm

Very Very nice! Thanks for sharing. The most beautiful pointing dog is a Setter, absolutely no doubt. The others are nice but they aren't Setters. 8)
big steve

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:54 pm

I am not going to admit that they are the most beautiful, but with that spectacular 12 o'clock flag up there, they sure are pretty.

Two years ago a friend and I were working some tree lines with his setter, a nice dog. It disappeared into some tall grass, not a very big piece, and never came out, so we knew we had a dog on point. We walked in and looked around for quite awhile. It took probably 10 minutes to find the dog. My friend spotted the top inch or two of that flag, waving in the wind above the grass. The dog was rock solid. So yes they are beauties on point.

Now the rest of the story is that it was a porkie the dog was pointing. The first of five he pointed in those tree lines. We had to get the shorthairs out to find some birds. Now what does that say about setters? 8)

Rodger

Post by Rodger » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:32 pm

I've got several of the typical dog on point pics that I like, but this is a personal favorites. Took this on the way home from a hard days hunting.
White dog on bottom is my dog Hud other roan is my older female Harlee.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:40 pm

That Setter being smarter than the others was pointing the porkys to warn the others before they got hurt. :lol:
big steve

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:43 pm

Right on Rodger!

I've got oodles of pics so a favorite is impossible. For some stupid reason I've always gotten a chuckle out of this one - the dogs playing "keepaway" in the backyard. Stitch is all smiles in possession of the coveted stick and Bugsy is all serious in his hot pursuit to take it away.

Boomer

Post by Boomer » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:52 pm

littleking

Post by littleking » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:46 am

my part fish brittany:

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:13 am

I love the keep-away picture! It reminds me so much of when I was keeping my sister's dog and how he played with Justus in the back yard. Justus is much quicker and would run circles around Rudy, but Rudy would cut a better angle to catch up rather than stick right on the red dog's heels and get blown away.

I've got some good recent pics of Justus that my grandfather took while I was training out on his land, but I'll have to get them from him and resize them before I can get them posted.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

JakeDD

Post by JakeDD » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:20 am

My first pointing dog - Frauelein Sadie von Voof, as we called her (among other things). She taught me a ton - I sure miss that little girl.

gr_elliott

Post by gr_elliott » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:46 am

Rodger that is a great pic...those are some worn out dogs!

twicebarrel

Lovin' the pix!

Post by twicebarrel » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:14 pm

Great pix guys! We have some good looking dogs here. Hope others will post their favorites too. Here is another of mine:

Vizslaguy

Post by Vizslaguy » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:42 pm

omega58

Post by omega58 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:11 pm

Here's a couple of my favorites:

My 2 year old and his dog

The HEAD SHOT

and a side shot from last year

pameladallaire

dogs

Post by pameladallaire » Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:41 pm

Beautiful pictures! :D

TrueBlu Shorthairs

Post by TrueBlu Shorthairs » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:11 pm

Not sure what BEST means. One day I believe it's my first GSP ever, 43 years ago, or my first trial FC/AFC, then it's the best I have bred. But, overall, when it comes to bird sense, production, knowing how to work bobs, being a great house pet, and a great mama dog, field trial competitor, conformation, etc., I guess I've gotta go with FC Slick's Cajun Desire.

http://cajunkennels.netfirms.com/callie.html

She's awfully hard to beat across the board.

midwestfisherman

Post by midwestfisherman » Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:41 pm

My favorite pic of Merlin is in my sig line. :)
Image * Image

"Your best conservation tool is a well trained hunting dog"

TAK

Post by TAK » Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:15 pm

Well I am going to need to go with my buddy "Clown" look to the left.... he can do it all and better than any dog ever alive, at least some of the following things! He can Crap in his food, he can pee in his water and then to top it off he can consume it! He can spin circles in the kennel and he can jump just as high as the ceiling will allow him.
When out to play there is not a plastic water bottle that is safe! I am talking about a dog that will run like the wind and grab a bottle on the fly and chew and dismantle it as he goes. Sure you all will think that I am nuts to love this dog as I do, but he is not always a "Clown" there are the days at the office that he guides on a bird preserve and thinking about it I would guess he has pointed and retrieved upwards of 10,000 birds give or take a few. Not to mention in the off time he is something else on the wild birds. This is the relaxe time kinda, he has been one of my best dogs to ever handle coveys of Chukars and be smart enough to pin a running Rooster. Then there are the weekends that he thinks he has a break only to go to a NSTRA trial or go get picked up at a horse back trial. Were Clown lacks is what game he is figureing out what game he is playing. Retrieve at the shot or stay at the shot, thre has even been the times he said PISS on me, but that is another story!

gundogguru

Post by gundogguru » Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:21 pm

ImageNODAK Oct 2006

Goshawk

Post by Goshawk » Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:51 pm

8)
Last edited by Goshawk on Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ingrid

Post by Ingrid » Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:46 pm

I wish I had some better pictures with me- but I also want to see if I can get the things to post correctly :)
This is Gypsy (Britt/GSP, but looked all GSP), who really was my dad's dog- but I pulled one over on my mom, who had made it clear- no more dogs- and convinced her to let 'me' have her when I was home summer between freshman/soph year in college.
Ginger (EP/ES...Pointsetta :) ), our first pointer, was a grizzled girl who was slowing down...and I knew dad really wouldn't be the same without a hunting buddy when the time came. Dad still says Gyps was the best present I ever got him :)

Not the best pic, but I like it:

And Ginger and Gypsy- Ginger showing her age... Gypsy giving her best glamor girl impression

I'm getting a pup in about a month, and am really looking forward to a pointer of my own.

Casper

Post by Casper » Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:07 am

Goshawk wrote:Image
Photo Shop and a Dokken dead fowl retriever doesnt count Gos :P :wink: :wink: :wink:

Really though a nice looking dog. You should share more 8)

Grouseman

Post by Grouseman » Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:24 pm

Nice looking pics guys. Thought I would share a couple.

Dakota

Tank
Image[/img]

dhondtm

Post by dhondtm » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:03 am

midwestfisherman

Post by midwestfisherman » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:11 am

dhondtm wrote: Image
Nice pic!!
Image * Image

"Your best conservation tool is a well trained hunting dog"

Donnerhund GWP

Post by Donnerhund GWP » Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:51 pm

Sam relaxing on the lawn
Sage when she was a pup
Sam at Ogden Bay
Sam Chuckar hunting- Please don't dive off that cliff!

Another day at Ogden Bay! It's been a good year for Duck hunting
More tomorrow I hope![/img]
Men in Black -- Protecting Earth from the scum of the Universe
-------------------------------------------------------
Donnerhund!
Registered German Wirehaired Pointers