kansas bird hunting

jeff shumaker

kansas bird hunting

Post by jeff shumaker » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:26 pm

I am thinking about a trip to kansas this year pheasant hunting? Would hunt public land is it worth my time. Does anybody got a good idea where to start. If there are birds I got the dogs to find them. Just would like some info please and thank you

displaced_texan

Re: kansas bird hunting

Post by displaced_texan » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:20 pm

Last year was pretty bad. I've heard mixed reports, mostly that this year will be noticeably better for quail.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

jarbo03

Post by jarbo03 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:12 pm

Majority of my reports have been bad for pheasant. Quail should have good areas. When yoy planning your trip for? Could give more info closer to season.

jeff shumaker

Post by jeff shumaker » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:09 pm

I was thinking end of nov is when I would make it for 2 or 3 days. I just enjoy watching my dogs work dont even care if I shoot any just want to see some.

mtlee

Post by mtlee » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:18 am

I've hunted with these guys a few times and have really enjoyed it. Justin is a great guy and works hard to make sure you get the most of your hunt. I haven't been able to make it out the last 2 yrs but I'm planning on getting out there this season. In my opinion t he rates are very reasonable, especially if you have your own dogs. But, the first year I went out there I just put the public land GPS coordinates (KS DNR does a great job of compiling these) in my Garmin and drove...killed birds too.

http://innovativeoutfittersks.com/

Good luck!

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:26 pm

I wouldn't travel any distance to hunt KS this year. I certainly would not pass over Montana, ND or SD to come here. It's going to be quite some time before we even begin to see a recovery. And the quai, we have some. But again, I would not travel far to come hunt them here either.