North Dakota - November 2013

pgidley

North Dakota - November 2013

Post by pgidley » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:09 pm

I posted this yesterday on vdogs, but thought I'd share here too - we had an incredible time!

Well, my husband and I headed to North Dakota for the first 10 days of November this past fall for our honeymoon. To keep things simple, as Canadians/Non-residents, we only bought licenses for upland hunting, but based on the numbers of ducks and geese we saw on the drive to and fro, might just have to try it out next year. We've got a lot of rice filled lakes, the superior shoreline, and some corn and wheat fields here in Thunder Bay for waterfowling, but those prairie potholes, ho boy. We haven't posted many pictures on this forum, as a couple years ago I started writing about all our hunting and fishing adventures here: http://www.winterlake.ca I've written up our trip as a day to day journal, with lots of pictures. Simply stated we had an awesome time, absolutely no hassle, and met some great ranchers and farmers who were happy to have us. If it were easier, we'd be strongly considering moving there! We've been spoiled living in some of the best grouse woods for the past three years, but there is just something about that wide open sky and giant roosters. If you visit my blog to read about our trip, the first entry about ND is Nov. 3rd. We're already booked to go again next year, and can hardly wait.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Re: North Dakota - November 2013

Post by Neil » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:23 pm

Glad you had a great time, welcome back anytime. I warn my Southern friends about the ND weather, even in mid-November, but for you guys it must be like going to the tropics.

What is the call your husband is toting on a pheasant hunt?

Oh, congratulation on the nuptials,

Nei

bonasa

Post by bonasa » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:33 pm

Neil, I could be wrong but that looks like a remote for a tritronics collar.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:57 pm

bonasa wrote:Neil, I could be wrong but that looks like a remote for a tritronics collar.

Really, must be the Sport or whatever they are calling. But looking again (I am on a Kindle, so I have to squint some) I think you are right. I thought maybe the Canadian's had developed a pheasant call. Think about the pheasants coming to you.

Thanks.

pgidley

Post by pgidley » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:36 am

Too funny, it's the tritronics upland sport basic G3 (I might have added a word or two in there), but looking at the photo I see what you're seeing, looks a lot like some yote call we have.
And thank you! We had incredible weather except for one of the days, other than some strong winds. Had to work for the birds but that's what makes it fun and memorable! Beautiful state, we thought we'd head further west or south but could have spent a month in those fields and hills.

Wyobio

Post by Wyobio » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:57 pm

We were there in November as well and (at least while we were there) it was unseasonably warm. It was warmer at the end of November than it usually is around the opener in October. The day we left a storm rolled in and many roads were closed for days after that. Lucky timing, we have been on the opposite end of the weather extreme when we were house bound waiting out the storms, only to find waist deep drifts when we could get out. And the pheasants would just run away on the top of the snow laughing before we could slog in to find them :wink:

Contrary to the reports of doom and gloom I had heard, the pheasant hunting was fantastic for us in ND this year.....

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:49 pm

I had a great hunt in Western ND this year, and plan to return this fall for opener and after Thanksgiving. Enjoy it while you can, because more and more CRP land is being put back into production.

Eastern SD looks like Iowa these days. I just drove from Mitchell - Huron - Watertown last Saturday morning and saw only 1 rooster along the entire route. Now that's a sad sight for a bird hunter.

Nate