Hunting license question

benelli

Hunting license question

Post by benelli » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:12 am

My husband and I are going to take our dog out hunting for the first time and are looking into hunting licenses. I have no desire to handle/fire the shotgun, but I do want to be along to handle the dog and see how things go. Do we need to get a license for me also, or can my husband be the only licensed one and I can just basically tag along? (We're in CA, if that makes any difference.)

gotpointers

Re: Hunting license question

Post by gotpointers » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:07 am

As long as you don't touch the gun you don't need a license.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:10 pm

What Mark said....but, you should get one anyway! Your license fees help the state manage lands you hunt or train on plus bring in matching federal dollars and grants to the state! Plus, I bet you'd feel more comfortable if you had a license and had taken hunter safety classes (ours in MO are really good though).

mtlhdr

Post by mtlhdr » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:38 pm

You don't need a license but make sure do not handle a gun or have any shot game in your possession in the field. I agree with above that you should buy a license and an upland stamp. You'll also need a license if you plan on shooting any planted birds while training.

benelli

Post by benelli » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:23 pm

Thanks for the replies! I did take the hunter training class, we're just thinking we can save $50-60 by only buying one license. I've actually done more shooting than my husband - I grew up in a gun-crazy family, he did not - I'm just more interested in focusing on the dog's performance, at least for now. :)