Grouse

DonF
GDF Junkie

Grouse

Post by DonF » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:07 am

Been thinking about getting back into them for a couple years now. Only trouble is grouse woods are quite a way's from here. Couple days ago I got to thinking about the grouse gun. Best I ever hd was a Browning double auto, that thing was lighting to handle. Then my old 870 spec field was really good on them too. Both hd short barrels. the 870 was a 21" barrel and I think the Browning was 24 or 26". My SxS's I have two with 28" and one with 26". 16 and 28 at 28" and 410 at 26". Have a mod 37 Ithica with a 28" barrel I've been thinking of cutting down to 24" so compared it to the 28" SxS's. SxS'x are a couple inch's shorter with the same barrel length and the 410 is 4" shorter. Gonna try out the 410 I think this year, if I can find some grouse! and usr the 28 some more. Haven't found any grouse when I had it along. And get my Ithica cut down to 24". Talked to Ithica about it and in my gun they would have to use an adapter to put on a new barrel, old pre 62 Ithica. Cost me about $500 but can't use the new barrels without the adapter. Up in Montana and in Alaska I hunted lots of grouse. Those short light guns really handled past but they were definitely point and shoot guns. Tried tracking birds with both and that was a night mare. Well hope to find the grouse this year. Do have a couple good leads on them but pretty good trip to get there.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

JONOV

Re: Grouse

Post by JONOV » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:44 am

DonF wrote:Been thinking about getting back into them for a couple years now. Only trouble is grouse woods are quite a way's from here. Couple days ago I got to thinking about the grouse gun. Best I ever hd was a Browning double auto, that thing was lighting to handle. Then my old 870 spec field was really good on them too. Both hd short barrels. the 870 was a 21" barrel and I think the Browning was 24 or 26". My SxS's I have two with 28" and one with 26". 16 and 28 at 28" and 410 at 26". Have a mod 37 Ithica with a 28" barrel I've been thinking of cutting down to 24" so compared it to the 28" SxS's. SxS'x are a couple inch's shorter with the same barrel length and the 410 is 4" shorter. Gonna try out the 410 I think this year, if I can find some grouse! and usr the 28 some more. Haven't found any grouse when I had it along. And get my Ithica cut down to 24". Talked to Ithica about it and in my gun they would have to use an adapter to put on a new barrel, old pre 62 Ithica. Cost me about $500 but can't use the new barrels without the adapter. Up in Montana and in Alaska I hunted lots of grouse. Those short light guns really handled past but they were definitely point and shoot guns. Tried tracking birds with both and that was a night mare. Well hope to find the grouse this year. Do have a couple good leads on them but pretty good trip to get there.
A 26 in a double gun is pretty short and handy. It is longer in pumps and autos because of the added length on the receiver.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:05 am

A 26” pump is just fine and near classic....20, 16, 12 or, whatever.
Not much won’t work....but, the 410 can be on the edge of use...perfect conditions, it will work ok. Less than perfect then it can be too much the individual’s one-sided desire.

The whole short and light scattergun deal is way over-played in the grouse woods....at least that has been my take since ‘64’.
Plus, we adapt pretty easily, if we want to :idea: ......as with the safety on the rear of the trigger gaurd on that DoubleAuto.

Oregon should have a lot of grouse, ruffed and other.
Good luck.

reba

Post by reba » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:22 am

GOOD GRIEF, Don you live out in the middle of no-where. Antelope, OR!!!

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:53 am

reba wrote:GOOD GRIEF, Don you live out in the middle of no-where. Antelope, OR!!!
Yes I do. Bad thing here is that 95% of the land is in private ownership and most of that leased out for hunting. Bird hunting around here has been really down for a lot of years. Haven't seen a pheasant in years, no chukar left, few huns but scarce and not a lot of quail anymore. I travel to bird hunt mostly. Years ago we were over run with birds. Rancher friend says the loss of cheat is the problem. Stuff called Maducia head took over and pushed out cheat. Then the forest service went in and sprayed a bunch but the spray also killed off the cheat.

reba

Post by reba » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:19 am

Don,

Lots of folks do not now the value of Cheat Grass :cry:

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:29 pm

reba wrote:Don,

Lots of folks do not now the value of Cheat Grass :cry:
Cheatgrass has some food value for chukars and quail but that is about it's only benefit. It has been the kiss of death for many species of birds. Those native species of the sagebrush steppe community have suffered due the increase in fire cycle caused by cheatgrass. We have lost millions of acres of sagebrush due to that increase in fire occurrence . This has cost a massive loss of cover, nesting habitat and in the case of sage grouse winter food. But Don is right, Medusahead is worse.

ckfowler

Post by ckfowler » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:54 pm

24" on a sxs, 21 on my BPS. You can survive with 26" on the sxs if you don't want to buy a shirt gun or cut a nice one.
Colin

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:03 am

I have a bunch of money due in soon and have my gun picked out. AyA #4 with 26" barrels in 28ga and double trigger's. Hope no one else buy's it while I'm waiting on my money! I must have looked at a thousand different SxS's and semi autos finding this. I just might get a short barrel semi also, just for kick's! Saw an 1100 20ga with a 26" barrel, maybe! I don't have and haven't had for a long time a 20ga. Don't really need one either. My 28 use's3/4oz loads, the 410 1/2 and 3/4oz loads and the 16ga uses 1 and 1 1/8 oz loads. My present 28, also an AyA is single trigger and weight's 5.5lbs. The new one will weight 5lbs!

I have had the want' for a Win mod 21 all my life and with the money coming in I could get one of them used too. Found a few in the internet around $6k. The frugal side of me say's no but the rich over night side of me say's go for it! Before it's over I bet I do get that mod 21, what a beautiful gun! Found one used for $48K but that's not bad, found a used Purdy for $150K! At this particular point in my life I'm having trouble being responsible!

Windyhills

Post by Windyhills » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:20 pm

If you want a short barrelled semi I heartily recommend the Franchi Al48. Bought one of my kids and it's so light and easy to carry I find myself reaching for it. Mine is 24" and works great in the woods--I'd probably go for 26 as an all around gun if I had to do it again, have to consciously slow myself down at times with that short barrel it comes up so fast. 20 guage short chamber is the main problem--esp. if you want or have to use non-toxic. Hard to find non-tox in 2 3/4 in sizes suitable for upland game sometimes.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:03 am

I'm not a semi auto guy but that old Browning Double Auto had me thinking. I had a mod 303 Beretta that was light and fast handling. I'm still thinking about giving one a go, been trying to find info on the Tri Star. Nobody around Central Ore seem's to handle them. Like the looks of the 1100's but never picked up one that wasn't heavy. Those Franchi's are hard to find around here too. Seen some of them that look pretty sleek too!

Settertude

Post by Settertude » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:53 am

Best Ruffed Grouse gun is a 16g SxS with 28" tubes. Build on a true scaled frame of course.
Why? It just is.
8)