Hunting Dog Training & More    

Popular Searches: Garmin Astro | Dog Collars | Tri-Tronics | SPORTdog

Minnesota Ruffed Grouse

Minnesota Ruffed Grouse

Postby mnaj_springer » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:33 am

Two things here:

1. Just a simple shout out to all those busting through the brambles, leaves, and mosquitoes to chase the King of Gamebirds this weekend (9/15 is grouse opener in MN), especially in Minnesota! I'll be among that crowd of hard-core people.

2. If people want to share season updates it would be interesting to hear anecdotal evidence about populations and hunting success (measured in flushes per hour). With the high drumming counts last year, the observations of hunters last fall, the lower drumming counts this year (although still higher than 2 years ago), and West Nile, it will be interesting to hear what people have to say about their seasons, particularly in MN and WI.
mnaj_springer
Rank: 5X Champion
 
Posts: 1168
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:10 pm
Location: Northern Minnesota

Re: Minnesota Ruffed Grouse

Postby Settertude » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:11 am

I'm interested to follow this thread.
I'm a grouse and woodcock hunter from NH recently moved to Grove, OK.
I have a new puppy (Llewellin) and am planning a trip to Minnesota next season with a year old.
My Tucker is too old to make that trip this year and the pup--Max is just a baby.
I would like to find cover in the southern tier, if possible.
User avatar
Settertude
Rank: Junior Hunter
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:36 pm
Location: Grove, Oklahoma by way of New Hampshire

Re: Minnesota Ruffed Grouse

Postby reba » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:15 pm

I am hunting ruffed grouse right now in Wyoming.

I am amazed on how my big running GSP's tighten up in the thick stuff.

Season runs through December.

Sage grouse starts Sept 15th.
reba
Rank: 3X Champion
 
Posts: 561
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:50 am
Location: Central Coast of CA

Re: Minnesota Ruffed Grouse

Postby mgrucker » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:02 am

I'll be around Isabella this weekend. I'm not a good grouse hunter so... we'll see. Gotta do something to pass the time until pheasant opener though :lol:
mgrucker
Rank: Junior Hunter
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:20 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: Minnesota Ruffed Grouse

Postby walt501 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:32 pm

I have a place just across the border from Minnesota in Ontario so my observations should hold for most of the "big woods" country of Northeast Minnesota. Checking the logging roads on my 4 wheeler around my place 2 1/2 weeks ago I was spotting several young of the year grouse out picking gravel. I take this as a very good sign, as not a lot of grouse come out to the road in late August. More mature birds should be joining the youngsters as the weather cools.

Our last grouse population peak was in 2009, with another banner year in 2011 which I attribute to excellent nesting success. So now and for the next 2 to 3 years should see peak population numbers once again for ruffed grouse. If you're looking for a specific place to hunt, I enjoy hunting the almost endless miles of logging roads northeast of Orr, MN. Also, public land closer to Lake Superior should prove productive and I'll actually be hunting near the big lake myself later this fall.

Good luck and save a couple for me!
walt501
Rank: Just A Pup
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:55 pm
Location: Minnesota

Re: Minnesota Ruffed Grouse

Postby mnaj_springer » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:12 pm

I couldn’t get out Saturday due to work, but went out this morning. Man, talk about heat and humidity! I got started earlier than I usually do (I like to let the birds get down and walk around some in the morning) but the temps forced my hand. Even at 7 AM it was 68 and like a sauna!

Anyway, I hunted under 2 hours. Each dog got about 45 minutes on the ground, give or take. The springer was first and she flushed 4 woodcock (but they open next week). I assume the grouse were mostly in the trees then. She stayed really nice and steady on those doodles. Next up the Pointer... she pointed a woodcock first. One of those “trip over your own feet” points. Next she pointed a grouse that she caught on the wrong side of the wind and the bird sat for .5 seconds after she pointed. Luckily the bird flew at me and I dropped it. 1/1. Next was a gorgeous point! Walked up and found her tail high and nose pointed to the sky. Based on the wind, I have no clue how she scented that bird. Anyway, I didn’t give myself a good window to shoot so that bird got away. Last grouse flushed wild and I never saw it.

So just about 2 flushes per hour on a hot/humid day and a ton of leaves.
mnaj_springer
Rank: 5X Champion
 
Posts: 1168
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:10 pm
Location: Northern Minnesota

Re: Minnesota Ruffed Grouse

Postby Settertude » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:26 pm

mnaj_springer wrote:I couldn’t get out Saturday due to work, but went out this morning. Man, talk about heat and humidity! I got started earlier than I usually do (I like to let the birds get down and walk around some in the morning) but the temps forced my hand. Even at 7 AM it was 68 and like a sauna!

Anyway, I hunted under 2 hours. Each dog got about 45 minutes on the ground, give or take. The springer was first and she flushed 4 woodcock (but they open next week). I assume the grouse were mostly in the trees then. She stayed really nice and steady on those doodles. Next up the Pointer... she pointed a woodcock first. One of those “trip over your own feet” points. Next she pointed a grouse that she caught on the wrong side of the wind and the bird sat for .5 seconds after she pointed. Luckily the bird flew at me and I dropped it. 1/1. Next was a gorgeous point! Walked up and found her tail high and nose pointed to the sky. Based on the wind, I have no clue how she scented that bird. Anyway, I didn’t give myself a good window to shoot so that bird got away. Last grouse flushed wild and I never saw it.

So just about 2 flushes per hour on a hot/humid day and a ton of leaves.

An encouraging early season report. Thank you and congrats on some nice dog work.
User avatar
Settertude
Rank: Junior Hunter
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:36 pm
Location: Grove, Oklahoma by way of New Hampshire

Re: Minnesota Ruffed Grouse

Postby mnaj_springer » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:04 pm

Well, I was able to get out this evening for 2.5 hours at one of my usual coverts. Weather could hardly be better: 44 degrees with a decent breeze and slightly overcast. There are still a lot of leaves up but they’re starting to drop.

Anyway, report on birds flushed. In that 2.5 hour hunt we moved 8 grouse and 3 woodcock, so 3.2 grouse flushes per hour. I’ll take that any day!

I’m surprised I saw so little woodcock at this spot. It usually holds quite a few. So many sometimes that you trip over them while looking for grouse. Makes me wonder if the recent cold snap pushed the residents out and the migrators just haven’t arrived yet. Also, both dogs (springer and pointer) gave the impression that the birds had been or currently were moving a lot. I got a lot of points and relocations that were unproductive, and the springer did a lot of nose to the ground tracking.

Anyway, the dog work was great too! The EP in her age 4 season is really starting to put things together!
mnaj_springer
Rank: 5X Champion
 
Posts: 1168
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:10 pm
Location: Northern Minnesota

Re: Minnesota Ruffed Grouse

Postby Settertude » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:12 am

mnaj_springer wrote:Well, I was able to get out this evening for 2.5 hours at one of my usual coverts. Weather could hardly be better: 44 degrees with a decent breeze and slightly overcast. There are still a lot of leaves up but they’re starting to drop.

Anyway, report on birds flushed. In that 2.5 hour hunt we moved 8 grouse and 3 woodcock, so 3.2 grouse flushes per hour. I’ll take that any day!

I’m surprised I saw so little woodcock at this spot. It usually holds quite a few. So many sometimes that you trip over them while looking for grouse. Makes me wonder if the recent cold snap pushed the residents out and the migrators just haven’t arrived yet. Also, both dogs (springer and pointer) gave the impression that the birds had been or currently were moving a lot. I got a lot of points and relocations that were unproductive, and the springer did a lot of nose to the ground tracking.

Anyway, the dog work was great too! The EP in her age 4 season is really starting to put things together!

Great report. Are you hunting aspen stands or more transitional edges?
User avatar
Settertude
Rank: Junior Hunter
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:36 pm
Location: Grove, Oklahoma by way of New Hampshire

Re: Minnesota Ruffed Grouse

Postby mnaj_springer » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:55 am

Setterdude,

A little bit of both. Actually, it’s a lot of aspen with alder transitions, and some pine/aspen/dogwood.
mnaj_springer
Rank: 5X Champion
 
Posts: 1168
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:10 pm
Location: Northern Minnesota

Re: Minnesota Ruffed Grouse

Postby Settertude » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:07 am

mnaj_springer wrote:Setterdude,

A little bit of both. Actually, it’s a lot of aspen with alder transitions, and some pine/aspen/dogwood.

Sounds perfect...have a great season.
User avatar
Settertude
Rank: Junior Hunter
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:36 pm
Location: Grove, Oklahoma by way of New Hampshire

Re: Minnesota Ruffed Grouse

Postby mnaj_springer » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:46 am

Settertude wrote:
mnaj_springer wrote:Setterdude,

A little bit of both. Actually, it’s a lot of aspen with alder transitions, and some pine/aspen/dogwood.

Sounds perfect...have a great season.


Thanks! Again, I started this thread to not to talk about my hunts but to hear from other MN Ruffed grouse hunters and their anecdotal accounts of bird populations. I understand the flaws in it, but I was curious if the stories match the science.
mnaj_springer
Rank: 5X Champion
 
Posts: 1168
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:10 pm
Location: Northern Minnesota

Re: Minnesota Ruffed Grouse

Postby Settertude » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:15 pm

I understand--I'm following because it gets my juices flowing regarding next years MN hunt.
From a NH perspective, MN is Ruff heaven.
LOL
Nothing like getting a pup on lots of wild birds.
User avatar
Settertude
Rank: Junior Hunter
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:36 pm
Location: Grove, Oklahoma by way of New Hampshire

Re: Minnesota Ruffed Grouse

Postby cjhills » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:24 am

I spent yesterday in the woods.. Ran six dogs, two at a time. Conditions were nasty, light rain off and on, most of the leaves are still on and the Alder areas have standing water. Four points, no shots, in about six hours. No Wood Cocks. Which is alright with me. Not a fan.
grouse seem to bedown in our area. It is better farther north where there has been snow. The last few winters here have had very little snow. Good four deer, tough on grouse........Cj
cjhills
GDF Junkie
 
Posts: 1865
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:37 am
Location: aitkin,mn

Re: Minnesota Ruffed Grouse

Postby mnaj_springer » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:17 am

I got out yesterday in some logging land. It was nearly all poolstick popple and some spruce mixed in on the edges. Lots of leaves still up but they are starting to drop. Light mist here and there, but nothing terrible.

Anyway, we walked for about 2 hours up and down a closed off logging road and it was interesting. We flushed 4 grouse in that time, and only got shots at one. I thought I had a good shot and looked and followed up for 30 minutes. Nothing. The dog acted like the big hit the ground and ran and did a lot of tracking but still nothing. (2 flushes/hour)

The interesting part was the woodcock. We flushed 24+ during that walk. At one point we couldn't go 15 seconds without a woodcock point. I've never been upset with my dog doing her job well, but it was on the verge of getting to be too much. I'm thinking that we hit the woods right after a flight came in the night before. It's typically a good woodcock spot, but I've never seen in that good. Needless to say, woodcock appetizers will be served soon.
mnaj_springer
Rank: 5X Champion
 
Posts: 1168
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:10 pm
Location: Northern Minnesota

Re: Minnesota Ruffed Grouse

Postby DonF » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:50 am

Are those woodcock any good to eat?
User avatar
DonF
GDF Junkie
 
Posts: 3670
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:09 pm
Location: Antelope, Ore

Re: Minnesota Ruffed Grouse

Postby mnaj_springer » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:52 am

DonF wrote:Are those woodcock any good to eat?


I put them in a brine with water, lemon juice, and salt for at least 24 hours. Mostly it helps to draw the blood out. Then I marinade them for at least 24 hours. The marinade depends on what I'm in the mood for at the time. Then I grill or pan fry until cooked through yet tender. To me it tastes a lot like duck. The caveat is that you need at least 3 for a snack. Ideally you cook a pile with all your buddies to make an appetizer.

So if prepared correctly, they are delicious. Otherwise, meh.
mnaj_springer
Rank: 5X Champion
 
Posts: 1168
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:10 pm
Location: Northern Minnesota

Re: Minnesota Ruffed Grouse

Postby Up North » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:11 pm

Lets just say it is an acquired taste, that I never acquired. :mrgreen:
User avatar
Up North
Rank: Junior Hunter
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:14 pm
Location: Northern MN


Return to Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

| Pedigrees

THIS POST : Minnesota Ruffed Grouse brought to you by Gun Dog Supply: Dog Training Collars & Hunting Dog Supplies

Click here to tweet this post

  • NOT logged in
  • Minnesota Ruffed Grouse
  • ./viewtopic.php?f=81&t=53318&start=0&sid=c80267fbb548972364df4eef11f0f13d