Dang only a couple of members hunt??????

weimdogman

Dang only a couple of members hunt??????

Post by weimdogman » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:58 pm

Let's hear about your trials and tribulations!

Yesterday I shot a pheasant just as I got blinded by the sun. I saw it go down in a mix of cattails and 8ft high crap we call rice. My dogs are allowed to break on fall and I didn't see her anywhere. I could circle the spot where I marked the bird down and saw reeds moving and could hear the dog working. After a minute all was quiet so I commanded fetch as the dog will sometimes point a cripple until told to fetch. I could hear rustling coming towards me and looked to see the dog coming from 60 yards off with a live cripple. Good girl!

Hunted a area for grouse and had about 60 bust wild. Figured there would be some stragglers. There were probly 5 but they wouldn't hold either. They were very skittish as 1 swung my way and then flailed hard away.

Garrison

Re: Dang only a couple of members hunt??????

Post by Garrison » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:35 pm

I hope the reason for so few posts here lately is due to everyone out hunting and enjoying life and not because of bickering amongst friends. :wink:

I have been hitting it pretty hard with my guys, at least 5 days a week. But, I am working with a young dog who is figuring out some spooky wild birds, so I am limiting my side of things to good dog work only and lots of days with the blank pistol. Raising coveys most days and enjoying every minute of it!!

Good to hear you are getting after it.
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:10 pm

There are the same number of users/guests on line at any moment (See the bottom of the main page) , but I guess they have nothing to say. Had a look at 2 other usually popular gun dog forums and they seem pretty dead too. Either most are hunting or we've got covid depression going on. :(

I can't hunt anymore ( 2 rotor cuffs gone so can't hold a gun up) , but still get the dog out. Had to use dog spray this week to keep 2 coyotes from having him for lunch. :roll:
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

weimdogman

Post by weimdogman » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:18 pm

Garrison hope that pup is shaping up nicely. Sounds like you are doing your part.

RatDog

Post by RatDog » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:23 pm

I’d much rather be hunting but sadly the mortgage must be paid so here I am bustin my pick in this godforsaken desert near Carlsbad, NM. Saw a covey of quail today. Only 9 more days then back home and chase some birds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

art hubbard

Post by art hubbard » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:14 am

WOW,I have never had 60 grouse flush wild. You must live in grouse paradise.

weimdogman

Post by weimdogman » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:21 pm

art hubbard wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:14 am
This is Miles of prairie and creek beds. Some pasture and some corn -milo- sunflowers. May have been every bird from 10 sections.

RatDog

Post by RatDog » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:45 pm

weimdogman wrote:
art hubbard wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:14 am
This is Miles of prairie and creek beds. Some pasture and some corn -milo- sunflowers. May have been every bird from 10 sections.
Yeah once it gets cold they flock up like that. Not at all uncommon to see groups of 30 or 50. Only problem is you’ll almost never get at a shot at one when they’re in those groups. Too many eyes and they’re crazy skittish. Best you can hope for is some stragglers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:22 am

Hunting or training on wild quail every day I am healthy enough. Fantastic year for birds. Never got skunked yet. Don't like to shoot to many.

weimdogman

Post by weimdogman » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:47 am

oldbeek wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:22 am
Hunting or training on wild quail every day I am healthy enough. Fantastic year for birds. Never got skunked yet. Don't like to shoot to many.

Well I hope you and your dogs stay healthy ! A little fresh air,sunshine and exercise good for everybody!

art hubbard

Post by art hubbard » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:55 am

When I said I've never seen that many grouse I was talking our mountain grouse, never thought about your praire grouse. Not tuned in to those. Sorry for my mistake...

weimdogman

Post by weimdogman » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:10 pm

Hunted last 30 minutes of light yesterday. 15 acres grass with a little waterway and 2 little cattails pieces. Dogs pointed a Coyote in the waterway who slipped out.
Went to the other end of the grass where ther is a little thicker grass. Dogs were pointing and cat walking as I got up to them. Cockflushed and I dropped him clean. Dogs made a nice retrieve with only a little jostling😉
Never made it the spot where the bird went down and had 1 flush wild. It stayed low for a while and I had to wait for it to get higher as there is a acreage across the road. My long shot hit him but he kept going and I lost sight of him at over a half mile.
Hunted today , running just 1 dog. Pointed a couple hens and had a rooster pinned in a big clump of that 8ft high rice. It came out and I missed it as it hooked with the wind.
Went to a GameProductionArea and got a solid point on a ........squirrel 🙂 That is a first for me!

Mosby

Post by Mosby » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:32 pm

This time of year involves elk, deer and bird hunting for me. I got out for 3 days in Iowa for pheasant last week but had to come back home to get ready for deer season. Loading up the freezer for the year. Hope to get out for birds weekly after deer season is over.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:36 pm

We got in to them this weekend. They earned it!
54D86217-55B9-47EF-8FCE-4895A58596A0.jpeg
54D86217-55B9-47EF-8FCE-4895A58596A0.jpeg (4.73 MiB) Viewed 272 times
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

weimdogman

Post by weimdogman » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:08 pm

I had 2 of my dogs locked up on a young rooster. I flushed and shot it over frozen slough. Came down with a splash. I watched intently as she broke ice. Water was only 2.5 feet deep and she made a nice tiring retrieve.

RyanDoolittle

Post by RyanDoolittle » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:30 am

Sharon wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:10 pm
There are the same number of users/guests on line at any moment (See the bottom of the main page) , but I guess they have nothing to say. Had a look at 2 other usually popular gun dog forums and they seem pretty dead too. Either most are hunting or we've got covid depression going on. :(

I can't hunt anymore ( 2 rotor cuffs gone so can't hold a gun up) , but still get the dog out. Had to use dog spray this week to keep 2 coyotes from having him for lunch. :roll:
Forums are old technology. Social media is in, forums are out.

I enjoy the forum because it's easier to access past information. But when it comes to photos and hunting stories it is hard to compete with Facebook and Instagram.

RyanDoolittle

Post by RyanDoolittle » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:37 am

As mentioned above its deer hunting season for me. We wrapped that up on saturday but with winds recorded at 107mph (173km/hr) it's tough to get a dog out. Today is the last day for Pheasants here and Hun numbers have been so bad the past 3 years that we will leave them alone. See what the weather brings today, I may try to sneak out of the office early for one last kick at the can.
Attachments
IMG_20201114_154712_813.jpg
IMG_20201114_154712_813.jpg (674.77 KiB) Viewed 217 times

weimdogman

Post by weimdogman » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:19 pm

107 mph is a bit breezy😉

MNTonester

Post by MNTonester » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:04 am

As a leg gets gimpier year by year, my shooting has been hampered (not that I've ever been that great a shot). Met with my oldest and youngest brother for our yearly hunt in SW MN late October. Winter had been in near full force and the conditions were cold, snowy and windy. Nevertheless, we should have limited. I believe my youngest brother did; my oldest got three; I ended up with two. The day we left SW MN to head north to hunt grouse, Indian summer showed up. Here's a photo of me and my brothers from a couple of years back. I couldn't get this year's pheasant photo to load. Also, a photo of Oscar and the two grouse we've gotten this year. I'm planning to chase grouse a few more times weather permitting and a couple of day trips to the St. Cloud, MN area to chase pheasant. I tried to post a second picture but it I'm told the maximum URLs allowed is two and apparently the algorithm believes 1=2
Image]
I'll try Oscar and the grouse separately

MNTonester

Post by MNTonester » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:05 am

Oscar and grouse. part two of previous post
[url=https://ibb.co/QNyq84N]Image[/url

weimdogman

Post by weimdogman » Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:58 pm

I am very fortunate to be able to go out as much as I do. I have been out 26 days and bagged 45 roosters. I have 3 other families I give the much appreciated birds to. The dogs have probably had another dozen birds shot by guys hunting with me.
Many of my hunts are less then 2 hours at dusk.
Still get points on plenty of hens but the roosters are much more challenging. For example the last 2 nights -45 minutes 5 hens and 1 rooster that I got -1 1/2 hours 8 hens,1 wildflush rooster and 1 statue of a point that I got a nice clean retrieve on.