Most unusual Point of the season

cesarike

Most unusual Point of the season

Post by cesarike » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:12 pm

Just curious, what was the most unusual or odd point that your dog had this season?

For me it was on a grouse. I heard my GWP's beeper collar go off and as I started to move toward the dog I heard a bird flush. As I got closer I heard another flush and barely cathching a glimpse of the bird. The collar still continued to beep and as I approached I spotted Ellie pointing with her head cocked looking upwards.

Stupid me, I thought maybe she pointed and her head was maybe caught up on a high branch of some tree. Even as I approached I called to her thinking the birds had flown off. She still remained locked with her head cocked pointing upward.

As I got to within 5-10 feet of her I hear the winged explosion of a grouse taking off out of the tree she was pointing straight at.

Although I missed out on that opportunity, I was pleased with the dogs staunchness on point. I also learned, for about the hundreth time to always trust the dog.

Mike50

Post by Mike50 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:31 pm

Had almost the same thing happen but it was a rooster. At a local game farm. Taking baby steps I guess first to the tree. Dog still on point. Then he took flight to another field. Would have made a nice picture pheasant in a tree. Dog on point.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:39 pm

most unusual point my dog made this year was on a big coyote. sure surprised me.

mtjim

Post by mtjim » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:31 am

Jake my old setter pointed two porkies in North Dakota. Needless to say in my haste to keep the pup out of range of the quill throwers I failed to keep Jake away and it turned out to be a $65.00 point.

He wound up with a quill 1/4 in. from his jugular vein that had to be surgically removed.

Wouldn't have been all that bad except my hunting buddy's brit pointed one later the same hunt and it cost $85 to get all the imbedded quills out of her nose.
Be wary of the man in the tattered old hunting coat with the bony pointer and the well worn side by side, he'll outshoot you every day.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:37 am

The dog in my Avatar is pointing a grouse in August here in Maine in a tree. It is quite common espesically in early season. Last year a buddy of mine and I were hunting together, we came to a high and low road situation with a nice cover in it. In fact when I got out I heard a ruff drumming, I told John to go to the High road and Buster and I would come in from the low road, figureing we would not get a shot and push the bird up to John for a shot. Buster went out ahead, in about five minutes his bell stopped so I tried to locate him. I was not paying attention at first, then I heard a little tinkle. I homed in on his location. As I go close I saw him sitting at the bottom of the tree right up against the trunk, looking straight up. (looked like a squirrel dog) Figure he sat down cause his neck was hurting him. I followed his eyes up and sure enough there was a nice ruff looking at me. Just that quick he took off, next thing I knew, I shot him. I forgot all about John waiting on the high road. Oh well Buster deserved that one.

Almost all my Point on Ruffs with my GSP are in the trees. She goes through the woods so fast that I think when she comes on to them the birds are just trying to get out of the way and almost always go straight up or with in 20 feet in a tree. They always have that look on their face as to say (What the @@##%@%^ was that?)
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Birddog 307

Post by Birddog 307 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:46 am

Here is my pup and a coyote in Montana.
Birddog 307

scout_on_38s

Post by scout_on_38s » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:53 am

That pic with the coyote is frickin awesome. How did the whole situation turn out? I would guess coyote just took off? Was he bedded down there?
Murphy- RIP
Cali- 3yo Black/White Ticked Patched GSP.... http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=1052
Daisy- 3mo Black/White Patched GSP

jbogacki76

Post by jbogacki76 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:41 pm

I hope you Smoked that COYOTE!!!!!!

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:19 pm

Years ago, dog went on point, I walked up to her, an eagle flushed had a hen pheas in its claws. I was very close, enuff so I heard the whoosh of its wings as it lifted up. Those talons look very mean.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Birddog 307

Post by Birddog 307 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:45 pm

I think I had four dogs out we were hunting sharpies. This coyote seemed to like this dog because he did not pay much attention to the other dogs. At times he was right there with all the dogs. As you can see he was not a young coyote. Here is a picture with one of the other dogs in it also. He stayed with us for over a mile. I have my dogs trained to come when I use the tone button. So I kept trying to bring my dog in so I could get a shot at the coyote. I was shooting a 28ga. with 7&1/2s so I needed a close shot. I would bring my dog in close but the coyote would only come with-in 50 yards of me I tried quiet a few times so I could shoot him. He was just outside of range. I wish I would have taken a picture with all the dogs backing the coyote and Ginger the pup.
Birddog 307

Birddog 307

Post by Birddog 307 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:39 pm

I was doing a sagehen survey a few years back and had this antelope stay with my dog for quiet awhile. The goat never was threating towards my dog and came within 10 yards or so of me. But I have had antelope come up to the dogs quiet a bit especially the orange and white britts. I think they look like goats to them. My guess she had a baby close.
Birddog 307

Brushbustin Sporting Dogs

Post by Brushbustin Sporting Dogs » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:33 pm

Birddog 307,

You have some beautiful dog man. Not inviting myself or anything but I need to go to Montana with you this fall. probably can't stay for a month though but a week would be awesome. We should talk dogs some also...
Robert Myers

Rajin Kennel

308-870-3448

Brittanys are Best enough said...

BBD's Ca-Ching
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1061

Brushbustin's Ebbie SH
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=678

BNJ's Dirty Dozen Dixie
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=869

M1Tanker

Post by M1Tanker » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:29 pm

October 2007....South Dakota...Skunk buried in the grass.

The dog was rock solid and I thought there was a bird dug in out in front of him so I kicked the grass...and kicked a skunk who just so happened to unleash a ton of stink gas all over my boots, chaps, and dog.

GSP 4 me

Post by GSP 4 me » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:28 am

Here's my dog pointing brown trout :roll:

No unusual points this season, but my dog did find a Chukar behind our garage door in S.F. Still have no idea how that Chukar got there.

Bird dog 307.....that pic of your dog with the Coyote is very cool indeed.

3Britts

The wings seemed bigger then me

Post by 3Britts » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:01 pm

The funniest point that my Ron has had happened last fall. We were out hunting quail and found a Goose instead. Kicking out a bird that will bite back really does something for the old ticker. I shot the honker and laughed as Ron brought it back.

cesarike

Post by cesarike » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:30 am

3Britts - I can relate.

Last year my freinds Gordon Setter locked up on a Mallard.

Never had a bird start quacking back at me while trying to roust it out.