Turkey Hunting

tfbirddog2

Turkey Hunting

Post by tfbirddog2 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:00 pm

How is everyones turkey season starting or how did it go?Kansas opened today for full season, Bow, Youth and Disabled was last week.Planing to hunt Stockton and SmithCenter Kansas next two weekends so hope to be sending pics in I might try to hunt around here Friday maybe.
" Everyone makes fun of a redneck till their car breaks down"Larry the Cable Guy

beachgsp

Post by beachgsp » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:21 pm

Panhandle of Florida hasn't produced much. Too much rain wind and
no-see-ums for this kid.

NE Vizsla

Post by NE Vizsla » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:20 pm

Ours opens this Saturday..i'll be out bright and early as a I have a few spots that have some nice long beards. I hope to get one. Good Luck

tanner

Post by tanner » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:15 pm

kentucky's general season opens saturday, last sunday was my last youth hunt and missed a monster gobbler, didnt see the hen to the side, had my gun across my lap, had about 1/2 second to move my gun aim and shoot, every turkey hunter knows how that goes weather you miss or not. just wasnt my day, hope i get another chance saturday. good luck to everyone.

bird

Post by bird » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:26 pm

Last edited by bird on Fri May 02, 2008 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:04 pm

I had 12 or so in the front yard tonight. It just doesn't seem to be hunting when they roost in the trees 30 feet from the back door and feed in the pasture! I have shot a few 10-11 inch bearded Toms in the past few years and will probably need to shoot a few just to thin them out this year. There really are too many in this area and do alot of damage to the yard and pasture. I will say I never get tired of seeing the strutin'. They are beautiful birds!!!

Nitrex

MSC SMOKE

Post by MSC SMOKE » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:03 am

The weather in Alabama has had them messed up a little bit. Still managed to get a couple to floppin in the leaves. It should be getting better over the next week or so.

tgrantham

Post by tgrantham » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:10 am

The youth weekend wasn't that good here in south central Oklahoma, But within the first couple of day, of regular season, we managed to get all of the future hunting buddies taken care of. We got 2 kids their first birds, and also snuck right up on my brother's biggest bird, to date. He had a 10 1/2" beard, 1 1/4" spurs, and weighted in @ 27lbs. It is now the second weekend and the weather looks like it is going to take a turn for the worst, time for me to go find my big brid. :lol:

tgrantham

Post by tgrantham » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:36 am

We'll see if this picture thing works. If it does work, it will be the kido's.
ImageImage[/img]

tgrantham

Post by tgrantham » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:41 am

And here is a couple of the big bird.

[/img]Image

Image[/img]

Image[/img]

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:42 pm

Nice pics, good to see the kids involved.

I'll be going south to the farm next weekend for a few days. I'll let you know how it goes.

Chip

gwgdog66

Post by gwgdog66 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:35 pm

What my brother failed to mention was, I showed up, with no gun, no shells, nothing. I had to borrow one of his guns, the cousins camo, and the 6 year old nephew's hat :D After I shot it, I had to hump it about a mile back to the house :lol:

Today my brother got this one's twin!! :D

tgrantham

Post by tgrantham » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:04 am

cry baby. :lol:

tgrantham

Post by tgrantham » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:13 am

Got myself one today.

[/img]Image

Image[/img]

natetnc

Post by natetnc » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:25 pm

buddy had something happen to him this morning, couldn't help but laugh. he was hunting an area that was a little unfamiliar. first light heard a gobble in the distance and took off after it. he got close enough to set up and turkey was still gobbling. there were some houses close by but that never stopped any of the deer or turkey from feeding in the fields. so anyway here he is, set up and calling away getting answered a good bit. the turkey never comes any closer, its like a stand off. after some time had passed he gave up on it and tried to sneak in and there he saw it. it was a turkey all right, a farm turkey in a pen gobbling away. :lol:

tgrantham

Post by tgrantham » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:50 am

Sounds like some of my missadventures.

tgrantham

Post by tgrantham » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:56 am

Has anyone, besides me, ever seen or heard of, an albino rio grande turkey in the souther olkahoma area. She is an off white with light grey markings, she is one of the pretties turkeys I have ever seen. She has been throwing hens but I haven't seen a tom yet, sure hope that I do some day. I have been watching her for about 4 years now, but I haven't seen her this spring.

tfbirddog2

turkeys

Post by tfbirddog2 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:29 pm

There is a white domestic farm turkey about 8 years ago in russell springs,Ks that walked off with the local flock and bred to wild birds and now there is one marbled hen, two smoked hens,and smoky colored toms.They are pretty cool looking.
" Everyone makes fun of a redneck till their car breaks down"Larry the Cable Guy

tgrantham

Post by tgrantham » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:43 pm

I had thought that she may have some domestic in her lines, but as far as I know, no one for at least a 4 to 5 mile radious, has or have had any domestic birds. I would like to find a link to some pictures of an albino Rio, just to see what an official one looks like.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:32 pm

Has anyone, besides me, ever seen or heard of, an albino rio grande turkey in the souther olkahoma area. She is an off white with light grey markings, she is one of the pretties turkeys I have ever seen. She has been throwing hens but I haven't seen a tom yet, sure hope that I do some day. I have been watching her for about 4 years now, but I haven't seen her this spring.
If they were albino they would be pure white with pink eyes. The colors you are seeing is a rather rare color phase of the wild turkey but shows up every so often.

The domestic turkey crossing with a wild bird would be doubtful. I think it might be possible if the domestic bird was a hen but our domestic toms can't breed naturally anymore. All of the hens used for egg production in our modern turkeys are AI bred. The toms are too heavy breasted to be able to mate. The smokey colors showup naturally.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

tfbirddog2

turkey hunting

Post by tfbirddog2 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:15 am

Ezzy I could agree with you if the people who owned the dom. turkey hadnt of told me and then seen the marbled hen a week later while ready meters on my route. I have seen pics too of a albino turkey that was taken by Marshall or Sedila,Mo. probably 10 or 12 years ago or maybe by Lake Pomme De Tere.Cant beleive I forgot Got a tom this morining drop him along with my buddy too and both birds got up and ran to the yucca and never found them.Heading to Smith Center next weekend for some hunting hope to come back with a better report.

gspgunner

turkey

Post by gspgunner » Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:33 pm

My dad and I just got back from a 2 day trip to Pike county here in IL. On Friday morning we setup in a draw between two fingers of woods. I was wanting to get at least one kill on my dvd camcorder. Around 20 min. till 9 we saw a lone tom about 150 yards away. The friend of mine we were hunting with called for almost 6 mins, and he came into our decoys right in front my dad. Needless to say that tom is in my dads freezer, and I got a little over 7 mins of video and the kill. will send pics later. 23 lbs, 10 inch beard, and 1 1/16" spurs.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.-
Thomas Jefferson

tfbirddog2

Turkey hunting

Post by tfbirddog2 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:55 am

Sounds like it was a good hunt and the old man is happy pretty good size bird.

tfbirddog2

Re: Turkey Hunting

Post by tfbirddog2 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:37 pm

Had a heck of a pretty good weekend guiding and hunting.Got my bird this morning at a quarter after seven.A real nice young tom 20lbs.7/8'' spurs and a 9'' and 1/4'' beard 40 yard shot running away, why a running shot me and my buddy walked and were right underneath them and were planning set up my blind when they gobbled over our heads so we through out the decs and head for trees to sit ,at light they flew down to the other side of the field and put some bales between us so we snuck over to the bales went back for my blind popped it up stood up under it and pickeed it up and walked to them they didnt care till we were about 60 yards from them then they went into a little thicket and we threw the blind off and did a ambush run and I got my bird.Actually he feel with the first shot but scrambled to his feet and I finished him at 30 yards all in all a little "run and gun", pics on the way.

bird

Post by bird » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:16 am

Last edited by bird on Mon May 05, 2008 10:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

MSC SMOKE

Post by MSC SMOKE » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:18 am

they gobbled over our heads so we through out the decs
Birds gobbled right over your head and you took the time to put decoys out? No wonder they flew down away from you :roll:

pinebrookkennel

Post by pinebrookkennel » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:03 am

Filled my first tag for the year on saturday. Nice bird 21lb. 9 1/2" beard and 1" spurs. I felt real bad though, I've been hunting with my granddad for 5 years now and he's still trying to get his first bird. There were 5 toms comming in to the decoys but they held up at about 28 yards. I was waiting for him to shoot. No shot, No shot. for the life of me I could not figure out why he didn't shot. As all five toms started to walk away I took a shot and downed one. As in all the vids you see, the other toms turned and started jumping on the downed bird. Now there are 4 toms jumping all over a downed bird at 30 yards. At that point I had to YELL. What are you waithing for SHOT. well he took the shot and didn't hit a thing and 4 nice toms walked away for another day. Thats been the luck of my guiding me 82 year grandfather on ohios turkey hunting. We still have about 3 weeks left this year. I think I leave my gun at the house until he kills his first ohio tom.
Make no distinction between practice and combat !
Miyamoto Musashi.
Knowledge, once gained can never be stolen or repossessed.
Jered

Mike T.

Post by Mike T. » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:55 am

Had a heck of a pretty good weekend guiding and hunting.Got my bird this morning at a quarter after seven.A real nice young tom 20lbs.7/8'' spurs and a 9'' and 1/4'' beard 40 yard shot running away, why a running shot me and my buddy walked and were right underneath them and were planning set up my blind when they gobbled over our heads so we through out the decs and head for trees to sit ,at light they flew down to the other side of the field and put some bales between us so we snuck over to the bales went back for my blind popped it up stood up under it and pickeed it up and walked to them they didnt care till we were about 60 yards from them then they went into a little thicket and we threw the blind off and did a ambush run and I got my bird.Actually he feel with the first shot but scrambled to his feet and I finished him at 30 yards all in all a little "run and gun", pics on the way.

You gotta be kidding me!! not only is this one of the most FOOLISH things you can do, (running with a loaded gun and shooting) but VERY unsportsmanlike to say the least, you ever heard of the term "calling the bird to the gun"? that's how REAL turkey hunters do it, you sit, be patient and you call, period. Sometimes the bird will come to the call, sometimes it won't, but you NEVER bum rush a bird in the spring.

the only exception to this is in the fall, you only rush the flock to bust them up (but don't shoot) and sit and call them back to the gun with kee kee's and purrs. You need to go back to turkey school, shame on you.

tfbirddog2

Post by tfbirddog2 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:31 pm

Let me explain a little more when we flip the blind over they ran to the thicket crossed the fence and turned to run up the fence to us we were about 10 to 12 feet away so didnt have far to run or push my way through the thicket, Im six foot, two doesnt take long to span 10 feet about three steps.Is there a writen rule not to rush a turkey in the spring or sneak a creek or low spot to get on them.If there is than about 80% of the birds taken in that region are by that broken rule.IF you say UNSPORTSMAN you can, If I thought so I wouldn't have told the story as is I would have told "A Big Fat Harry One" that they came in on a string.I told the truth of how it unfolded.Hold it against me if you want thats my 2pennies.

These birds out here spring and fall get pushed like pheasents in creeks and fields, ambushed(jumped), creek jumped, and called in on decs and also baited,shot out of roosts,or out of truck windows(not me not to sporting).Happens all over this way coast to coast.

Mike T.

Post by Mike T. » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:38 pm

I know several turk hunters in KS, and none of them hunt like this. I know turk hunters from coast to coast and none of them hunt like this.
If you want to hunt birds like this, so be it, but you are no where near a turk hunter. Sit, call and shoot the bird. That simple.

bird

Post by bird » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:38 pm

Last edited by bird on Mon May 05, 2008 10:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

tfbirddog2

Post by tfbirddog2 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:28 am

Everyone is intilted to their opinions thats why I like this forum, but if you really think that turkeys out here in western kansas dont get hunted in all these ways you are severly mistaken.

Mike Im not getting into a shouting match and name or not name calling thread with you,if that is your .02 so be it.

"AMBUSH RUN" kinda like a "BEER RUN" not breaking into a actuall sprint, but just whats it called,and I think Im ok in the ethics department.Im not bragging, I never said how impressed I was with myself on my shot or went on blowing my own horn.Everyone here has done something before wether hunting or in life that the next guy calls one way or another, or you roll your eyes and dont say a word.

Mike T.

Post by Mike T. » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:38 am

Well, if that is the way they turk hunt in Western KS, please tell them all for me they are a bunch of IDIOTS! I guess I missed the part on any turk hunitng show, NWTF convention, DVD where this style of "hunting" (I use that loosely) is condoned. I'm thinking the DNR would LOVE to find a couple of morons doing this, shooting off the roost, outta trucks, etc, they would have a field day with these jerks!

As for you, if you are a "guide" and you are using these tactics when guiding, you should STOP immediately!

tfbirddog2

Post by tfbirddog2 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:53 pm

Mike,Dude, I didnt say I have or did, or ever would shoot a turkey off the roost or out the truck. What I said was it happens, and yes DNR would have a hayday.As far as the NWTF ot dvds, you are right I dont believe I have ever seen them show that,BUT IT HAPPENS.IF you are to blind to see it then a pheasent has never ever been shot on the ground.

DONE!!