Souix Falls South Dakota

luke0927

Souix Falls South Dakota

Post by luke0927 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:31 pm

One of my customers has a data center out in Souix Falls SD....well i was trying to go out this year with my co worker who lived there but he died unexpectedly a few months back. Im Im going to talk to my boss and my customer and try and let arrange it where i can go out there and work/vacation for a few days...Since im getting married this year im loosing a lot of my vaccation days so thats really hurting me being able to take a trip.....But if i can do this it might work...Now im not asking for any spots but could i get into any birds within an couple hours of Souix Falls, has anyone been there...just want to know if it would be worth my time and gas.

thanks

Chaingang

Re: Sioux Falls South Dakota

Post by Chaingang » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:23 pm

I would say you most certainly could get into a few birds within 2 hours, especially pheasants, and even closer than that. Go to SD game,fish and parks site and request a hunting atlas, providing they have the new ones printed. It's a booklet which contains maps to all the public areas open to hunting, including State Game production areas, WPA's and WIA (Walk-in-areas) which are leased by the state each year for the public access. Also, when hunting pheasants on all Game Production Areas, you must use non-toxic shot (no lead allowed). hope this helps.

Grange

Re: Souix Falls South Dakota

Post by Grange » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:13 am

Yes. My sister and brother-in-law live in Sioux Falls and when I visit during the hunting season I always spend a couple days hunting around Sioux Falls. There are several public hunting areas within 2 hours. North and west is the direction I often go and have had good luck in both directions.

windswept

Post by windswept » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:54 pm

Luke,
I just sent you a PM.
Windswept

luke0927

Post by luke0927 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:52 pm

Im headed up the First week of Novemeber unless i can draw for deer also...which i doubt on my first year but if i do that i will head up about the middle of November...Can anyone give me some ideas as to how cold it usually is and whats the weather is like? I am pumped i cant wait for this trip!

vols fan

Post by vols fan » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:43 am

i'm sure its like nebraska , i've been there the same week for 10 years and weather has been from 2 degrees to 70 degrees. most of the time upper 30 to mid 40 .also be ready for sudden change,two years ago we went from 55 to18 in about 3 hours.saw more ducks and geese the next few days than i could count.be prepared.

NE Vizsla

Post by NE Vizsla » Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:47 pm

vols fan wrote:i'm sure its like nebraska , i've been there the same week for 10 years and weather has been from 2 degrees to 70 degrees. most of the time upper 30 to mid 40 .also be ready for sudden change,two years ago we went from 55 to18 in about 3 hours.saw more ducks and geese the next few days than i could count.be prepared.
What part of Nebraska do you go to ?

vols fan

Post by vols fan » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:38 pm

we hunt in courtland and some around clatonia.mostly courtland south and east of the main road . been hunting there for 10 years with pretty good luck.

NE Vizsla

Post by NE Vizsla » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:11 pm

vols fan wrote:we hunt in courtland and some around clatonia.mostly courtland south and east of the main road . been hunting there for 10 years with pretty good luck.
South and east.. so about 15 minutes from where im at...i assume you know someone as i dont think there is much public over that way. I hunt a few spots close to Cortland but i mostly hunt around Adams my home town. Clatonia is way to far west for me but i hear the hunting can be good down that way, i got a invite from a guy who lives outside of Wilbur which is kind of by Clatonia..may have to take him up on it this season some time.

I have been seeeing a good number of birds..should be a good season.