Brittanys

bparks1987

Brittanys

Post by bparks1987 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:40 pm

Im 20 years old and looking to buy my first bird dog. I have been looking into brittanys and they seemlike nexcellent choice but my only concern is that they will shed to much for my lking. Can anyone help my out? Any one own noe and have any helpful information? Thanks

MTO4Life

Re: Brittanys

Post by MTO4Life » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:46 pm

I had the same concern when I got my britt... but it isn't that bad. I groom her regularly (with a slicker brush) and other than some fur that does come down naturally, it gets picked up in our routine cleaning of the house. It is nothing like golden retreivers and labs that I have been around. It is quite managable, but that is my opinion...

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:48 pm

Fact is all dogs shed the long haired dogs are a bit more noticeable versus the shorthaired breed which actually shed alot but since the coat is shorter it is not as noticable

brushing will help even in the spring having them shaved down will help alot
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:15 pm

All dogs shed. The long hairs are somewhat easier to pick up than the short ones that work their way into the fabric.

Get a Lab and after that all Pointing breeds will rank right up there with the Poodle as non-shedding dogs.

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:05 am

My Brittany has very short hair naturally and does not shed much. There is one comforter we have that is kind of a corduroy that seems to attract her hair, but other than that it is not much of a problem at all.

gotblika

Post by gotblika » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:19 am

My GSP sheds alot drives my wife nuts, we have wood flooring so it's really noticeable. It's going to depend on your living situation how much you are going to see.

BigBoyTank

Post by BigBoyTank » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:19 pm

They are great dogs and do shed but I keep Tank clipped year round it cuts down on the shedding and makes my tick combing much easier.

sambuca

Post by sambuca » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:55 pm

Any additional time behind the vacuum cleaner is worth it. As long as you are active enough to take on a high energy bird dog, you will wonder why you didn't get a Brittany sooner. My pup is only 15 months old and we shave him for the summer months. Shed hair is nothing compared to what comes into the house on his paws (dirt, pine needles, leaf parts etc). Last I checked all the gun dog breeds have 4 paws. If you get a well bred Brittany and invest the time (and/or money) to train it well, you will be very happy. I wouldn't trade my Sammy for anything.

ccavacini

Post by ccavacini » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:01 pm

Not sure I can add anymore to what's been said. I have two Brittanys and a Lab. They all shed, but it's never bothered me. They're great house/hunting/companion dogs.

Cary

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:35 am

I have three britts and on GSP. Being that I am not much of a house cleaner, I Learned to live with the tumble weeds that acculuate in the corners. This just mixes well with the wood chips from carving my decoys in the living room and spilling paint on the carpet while I watch foot ball and paint my dekes. I learned to have my favorite chairs covered with hair. I bought all clothes that clean easily and own nothing white, either. I bought carpet that hid hair and dirt (from me and the dogs): Then I got my fiance' she is a neat freak, sure is nice to have a clean house again. We even groom the dogs more than I did. The best vacume I owned for cleaning hair was an upright Kenmore $59.00 one (no bells and whistles). It would suck the hair off Mamouth, even at my old trailer I used to live in which had dark red 1 1/2" shag carpet. ( Looked like a 70's, drugged up hookers flop). It lasted four years. If you want to you can keep up with it. I just never wanted to. Now I feel obligated.:( Darn Women . :wink:
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

westexasrepublic

Post by westexasrepublic » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:05 pm

the shedding is significantly less than that of most bird dogs I think think of. i gave my dog a bath last night with a hair catch and only about a pinch full of hair was in the drain catch. As long as you vacuum regularly than the hair will stay under control. I only vacuum once a week, which is pretty bad on my part, but it manages the hair on my carpet.