Nebraska CRP-MAP and other public access

CZShooter

Nebraska CRP-MAP and other public access

Post by CZShooter » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:26 pm

I may be taking a driving trip to Nebraska for Pheasants with my setters in late October, early November. I'm looking for recommendations on what the best areas are for pointing dogs and public access. Read the other thread about Halsey and prairie grouse but wasn't sure whether it was equally as good for pheasants with pointing dogs.

Feel free to reply by PM if you don't want to broadcast honey-holes. I have never done a walk-in hunt and wanted to give it a try.

Thanks!
CZShooter

"The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too."

- Samuel Butler

phillipsgsp

Re: Nebraska CRP-MAP and other public access

Post by phillipsgsp » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:15 am

Halsey is not a place for pheasants. There is a ton of CRP MAP ground in Johnson co. that is good. Also waterfowl production areas in the rainwater basin, around york Geneva out towards Grand Island are good for pheasant. I hunt some waterfowl production areas in Seward Co. that always produce. They are kinda crowded in the first 2 weeks of the season though. I usually hunt privite or CRP MAP in the morning and then move to the waterfowl areas in the mi to late afternoon. After most people have gone home and the birds that were pushed out in the morning are retuning to roost for the night. It is nice because they are just 14 miles from my house.
When are you coming out?

Chad
"GET THE POINT" http://www.phillipsgundogs.com Family and Shorthairs, it don't get any better than that!
Phillips' Tiptoe'n Tucker MH
Phillips' Lucy in Diguise SH

CZShooter

Post by CZShooter » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:53 am

Not sure Chad. Thinking about early December or November. Thanks for the tip!

Cliff
CZShooter

"The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too."

- Samuel Butler

phillipsgsp

Post by phillipsgsp » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:18 pm

let me know and I can let you know where I am finding the birds and what the numbers are like in which areas.
Chad
"GET THE POINT" http://www.phillipsgundogs.com Family and Shorthairs, it don't get any better than that!
Phillips' Tiptoe'n Tucker MH
Phillips' Lucy in Diguise SH