Maine Grouse hunt

jsd245

Maine Grouse hunt

Post by jsd245 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:57 am

Went to the moosehead lake area with my 13 month old pup for her first "real" wild bird hunt. I had her in upstate New York a couple weeks ago with very little bird contact, so I'll call this her first real hunt.

-Day 1: 20 flushes, 15 grouse 5 woodcock. She bumped every one, ran right over the top of most of them and was having a great time running around like a maniac. We didn't shoot any of the birds she flushed (which was hard). Boy was I frustrated. What the heck happened to her beautiful stylish points???? I know everyone says this is what will happen with a pup the first time on wild birds, but not my dog, right, she's perfect. :wink: According to the Garmin astro she did 20 miles and she looked it. She was real beat and scratched up.

-Day 2: 18 flushes, 4 grouse 14 woodcock. She slowed down a little bit, but still was bumping and flushing birds. She was really searching for them, but would not point. Just as we were quitting for the day and I was thinking that my GSP has turned into a flushing dog, All of a sudden I heard her bell stop and she was on point on a grouse- but only about 8 feet away from it, it flushed before she got there but she didn't bust it, she was just too close. I started to get some hope. According to the Garmin Astro she did 10 miles, and was beat up even more. Once we got back to the cabin she ate, fell asleep, and didn;t move until I made her get up to got outside before going to sleep.

Day 3: We only had about 1.5 hours to hunt before we had to leave. 5 flushes, 3 grouse 2 woodcock. I have a pointing dog! Something clicked and she got it down. 5 staunch points. The two woodcock I missed :x , I had one eye on the dog and was not ready when they went up, 2 of the grouse flushed so that neither I or my hunting partner could get a shot, but the last one was a beautiful point, I had a marginal shot and missed, but my buddy made a great shot and brought it down. Boy was I happy. Garmin said she went 4 miles, she slept all 6 hours home and didn;t move until this morning after we got home.

I could not believe how she came around. She even handled the woodcock differently than the grouse. She pointed the woodcock pretty close, and they would not flush until you almost stepped on them. She pointed the grouse from much further out and they held until we could get up there and flush them. I don;t know if this is becasue the grouse have a stronger scent than the woodcock, or she was differentiating between the two and how she handled them, but either way it was effective. It was a great trip and it will definitely be a yearly pilgramige for us.

I am now a firm believer in the "let the birds teach the dog" philosophy when you can get them on wild birds.

brookzee

Re: Maine Grouse hunt

Post by brookzee » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:57 pm

thats awesome. its awesome to be there when they " GET IT". good numbers, and its so pretty up there. the leaves are probably peak right now so thats good too. congrats on your official birddog. is that her in your avatar. pretty pup if it is.
jason

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:25 pm

My dog bumped her first three last year and then steadied up nicely. I could not get her to break point for anything - I had to go touch her on the head and relase her from point, which at times can be tough in Maine!

jsd245

Post by jsd245 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:26 am

Yeah, thats her in my avatar. It was pretty great up there, it was peak color, and alot of the leaves were off the trees which made it easier. I could not believe the number of grouse we saw. I live in CT and I have not jumped a grouse in quite some time. I had her on lots of pen raised quail, pheasant and pigeons and she did really well on those but then I ran her in a couple hunt tests and she caught a couple of the quail. Big mistake- after that she would really point close and seem to be looking for the bird so she could run in and get it. I switched to just pigeons in the launchers and started popping them real early and she seemed to steady up but it took her a couple days up there.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:46 am

Congrats on the making of a fine grouse dog. Those lessons will last a lifetime. Or will at least kick in after the first few bumps or bust of each and every trip. That is the way of the grouse dog. Enjoy each and every moment. Thanks for coming to Maine.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:41 am

I'm heading back up to Maine next week. September & October are my favorite time of year in Maine. Great fishing for brookies and landlocks, birds, the fall color, and NO BUGS!

Blackflies are the defenders of the wilderness.

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:02 pm

Sounds like a great outing with a lot of bird contact! Congrats on the pup. I wish i would have seen more birds in NH but at the end of the day it was pleasing to see my pup work so hard. I think I might have to try maine next year, but I will probably pop up to NH some more this season.

briarpatch

Post by briarpatch » Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:27 am

My buddy has a cabin in that area on caribou lake we tend to go a couple times a year coyote hunting . I already told him be ready next year to take my pups up there..After reading your post of all the birds up there makes me wish I tried it this year ..but my pups are a bit young yet and I would like to get em a little better trained before heading that far. its about a 12-16 hour trip for us to get up there from south jersey. it is beutiful country...
heh theres a big sign in the area near his cabin says
"Don't Jersey Up the North Woods"
LOL makes me laugh every time I see it.

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:20 pm

Just got home. It was slower than I expected, but we still got into some birds every day. I found two new covers on my last day that held birds, and managed to get one grouse (eight flushes in all), but didn't see a woodcock all week.Of course, that's probably because I was spending my time up high, not in the shrubby bottoms.

Squirrel_Hunter_Gray

Post by Squirrel_Hunter_Gray » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:03 pm

Went to college in Maine...Hunted grouse and woodcock up there quite a bit over the course of four years. Good times!

-Marc

jsd245

Post by jsd245 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:52 pm

nj gsp wrote:Just got home. It was slower than I expected, but we still got into some birds every day. I found two new covers on my last day that held birds, and managed to get one grouse (eight flushes in all), but didn't see a woodcock all week.Of course, that's probably because I was spending my time up high, not in the shrubby bottoms.
It's wierd how you get into woodcock one day, then the next you see hardly any. We got pretty lucky, we were pointed to a primo area by the guy who owned the cabins on the first day, but even so we saw this huge spike of woodcock on day two but not so many on days one and three. It was prime habitat though, lots of early growth aspen and birch, then there be these fairly thick stands of evergreens that the grouse seemed to be roosting in. If it was before about 9:30am we flushed a bird every time we came into one of those spots. There seemed to be enough wet area for woodcock habitat . It was the lowlands, when we were higher up in the hills we didn't have alot of luck.