Mountain Quail

R-Heaton

Mountain Quail

Post by R-Heaton » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:42 pm

Does anybody know where to find and where there is a hunting season on Mountain Quail?

WiskeyJaR

Re: Mountain Quail

Post by WiskeyJaR » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:22 pm

I been hunting them in the local timber clear cuts, in Western Oregon.

SHRTHRCRZY

Post by SHRTHRCRZY » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:59 pm

Here in California I go to DFG's website to get seasons on birds. I hunt Mtn. Quail a lot(about 30-60 days a year). I'm sure Oregon posts seasons on Mtn. Quail on there fish and wildlife website. Thats where I get the elk and deer seasons. It opens September 1st and goes through January 25th here. On where to hunt them, I think any where where you have timber and brush thats close to water you will find them. I like to hunt for them between water and their roosting area from first light to about 2 hours afterwards. After they get water they will head uphill again back to brushy draws and ridges. Invest in a Mtn. Qauil call. Its worth the 12 bucks, and it really helps locate the birds especially after a rain or right before a storm. I call them successfully during a break in a storm, and right after i shoot at them and scatter the covey. If you can get above them after you break up the covey, many times you can call them right to you within about 20 minutes of shooting. i usually wait about 10 mintes and give a loud long locate call, and they will usually answer you back and start heading your way. Also a hawk screamer works good to get the little boogers to freeze, and quit running uphill on you. Also Mtn qauil like elevation about 3500-5500 feet in early season, and from snowline down in late season. A light sciff of snow is best as they wont run on you, rain is 2nd best as they like to stand on the road and get out of the wet brush. Also in late season south-south west facing brushy slopes is where they seem to congregate in manzanita and buck or blue brush. hope that helps.

R-Heaton

Post by R-Heaton » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:38 pm

Thanks guys,,, how far west do you have to go in Oregon to find them. I am going to be in Fossil/Condon within a week.

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:39 pm

R-Heaton wrote:Thanks guys,,, how far west do you have to go in Oregon to find them. I am going to be in Fossil/Condon within a week.
Maybe I'll see you out there but I hope you don't shoot any Mountain Quail in E. Oregon ... it's illegal. Google odfw bird hunting seasons and get the lowdown.

Also, in that area I've twice found Mtn. Quail flocking with valley quail ... strange? Anyone have similar experiences?
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
http://scottlindenoutdoors.com

WiskeyJaR

Post by WiskeyJaR » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:44 am

I have seen mountain and valley together lots me self. Anything west of the cascade submit is open for both valley and mountain quail. I've been hitting the clear cuts around the sweethome area.

Good luck over east there, there is a few counties open for mountain quail, but most of eastern oregon is open for the valley <California> quail.

Good luck,
WiskeyJaR

LEGLIFTER

Post by LEGLIFTER » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:34 pm

I get em in CA north of Fresno.