New Mexico snipe?

quackaddict

New Mexico snipe?

Post by quackaddict » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:13 pm

I absolutely love shooting snipe. Always lived somewhere with plenty to shoot. Now that we're out in NM, I was wondering if there are any snipe to be shot in this state. I didn't know if any of the waterfowl areas or the upper end of any of the lakes holds any birds. I sure would appreciate any info you guys have. Thanks.
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." ~ Aldo Leopold

DoubleB20

Re: New Mexico snipe?

Post by DoubleB20 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:25 am

I love hunting snipe too, but I live in the Fort Worth, Texas area, I hunt snipe east and south of DFW area. If you get over this way, let me know, if the weather is right, we can go shoot (at) a few of the little darters! It's pretty dry out where you are, the habitat snipe like would be hard to find. You might check over on thesnipehuntersforum . A great bunch of guys -maybe they have an idea. Good luck.

quackaddict

Post by quackaddict » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:03 pm

You should take a trip down to Lake Somerville(if it isn't dried up yet). Best snipe hunting I've ever seen.

There are some areas like the NWRs, and some waterfowl management areas that I'm hoping have some snipe around. Thanks for the invite. If I ever make it back to Texas, I'll let you know.
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." ~ Aldo Leopold

Redfishkilla

Post by Redfishkilla » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:36 am

What the heck is a snipe? Is it a woodcock?

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:15 am

Redfishkilla wrote:What the heck is a snipe? Is it a woodcock?

first cousin to woodcock.

http://web4.audubon.org/bird/boa/F36_G6a.html
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

Redfishkilla

Post by Redfishkilla » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:05 pm

Thanks Cajun.

quackaddict

Post by quackaddict » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:25 pm

A swampy cousin to the woodcock. "Poor man's quail" some folks call them.

AZRio

Post by AZRio » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:45 pm

Looking at your location, Las Cruces(I grew up there), I'm not sure about Snipe, but you're in an area with some very good duck hunting opportunities. The Rio Grande is the central fly zone if I remember correctly for NM, I spent my youth through college years jump shooting ducks of that river and surround ditches and canals. And the scale/gamble population was pretty awesome as well.

South of Cabello Lake is good area for ducks as well, and lot of the stock ponds west of Hatch hold a tremendous amount of waterfowl as well, just be careful of private property.

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:00 pm

QA,
You are definitely in the wrong place for snipe, hook up with the Texas cowboys! Got a big kick out of Redfish asking what one was.
RGD/Dave

quackaddict

Post by quackaddict » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:10 pm

I lived in Texas last year...I had a blast chasing snipe and got spoiled(same with the duck hunting). In SC, I was used to killing 2 or 3 a day...in Texas, the only reason you didn't limit out was because you ran out of shells.

tori

Post by tori » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:30 pm

man
ones mans treasure is another mans junk. i live in houston and i am sure this is where to go for snipe. but i have no interest in them since pointers and snipes dont work together. at least from what i was told.