One more Kansas thread

BCA1228

One more Kansas thread

Post by BCA1228 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:34 am

Can anybody share any information about the Great Bend/ Cheyenne Bottoms area. I'm planning a trip for Dec. 26-31 and was looking at this area. Looking for quail and pheasants, but sounds like there may be some waterfowl options too.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Re: One more Kansas thread

Post by ACooper » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:12 am

west and north west of GB is generally where I hunt every year. We generally head west of Larned and have very good luck in the stubble and crp.

BCA1228

Post by BCA1228 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:21 pm

Thanks Cooper. The more I read about it, the more it sounds like a good place to grab a room and set up homebase. I should add, "we" will be 2-3 guys and 2-3 dogs. No school bus hunts for us. I've never been to KS, so we will be winging it (no pun intended). Any advice is appreciated.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:45 am

Do you have your WIHA map yet? If you dont go to kansas parks and wildlife site and under the contact us link put your name and address in and tell them you need a map and they will mail one out to you, beats the heck out of printing the entire thing.

Hope this link works

http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/news/KDWP-Info/Contact-us

BCA1228

Post by BCA1228 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:17 am

Thanks Coop. Good idea. I had printed 15 and some of the surrounding areas, but the printed version is not really usable. The link worked. I've requested a map.

scout_on_38s

Post by scout_on_38s » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:12 am

My inlaws live out there and I do quite a bit of hunting with them. Usually good bird numbers. More pheasant than quail. The bottoms and quivera are great waterfowl spots so throw some steel shot in too.
Murphy- RIP
Cali- 3yo Black/White Ticked Patched GSP.... http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=1052
Daisy- 3mo Black/White Patched GSP

BCA1228

Post by BCA1228 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:21 pm

I am arriving late in the season Dec. 26-Jan. 1. Had any experience hunting birds or ducks that late in the Cheyenne Bottoms and Quivera spots? Am I missing out by waiting until the end of December?

muddycreek

Post by muddycreek » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:12 am

The hunting can be good/great depending on weather. Some years both can be frozen and no birds, but most years there is some open water to hunt. One word of caution, Quivera is located in the Late season zone and season dates run Oct 25-Dec 28th and then Jan 17-25th. Cheyenne Bottoms is open Oct 11-Dec 7th, and Dec 20-Jan 4th. Go to the KDWP website and look at the Zone map and make sure you know where you are hunting so the friendly CO's don't catch you on the wrong side of the road

http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/Hunting/Hun ... fowl-Zones

Good luck

scout_on_38s

Post by scout_on_38s » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:26 am

If you've read the other Kansas threads you've noticed that there is still alot of crops standing. I was out south east of Great Bend opening weekend and there was standing milo everywhere. Should be decent numbers late in the season due to more cover during first couple of weekends. You should have a good hunt. If the bottoms are frozen and you want to do some waterfowl hunting try and get on the river. It always has some water open. My wife's brother in law is cutting corn as we speak. We've just had a ton of moisture right when harvest was getting ready to start.
Murphy- RIP
Cali- 3yo Black/White Ticked Patched GSP.... http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=1052

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:38 am

Hunted around Larned, Greensburg, and Kinsley last weekend it has been getting hammered, I would look to go further north and north west. We saw tons of hens and very few cocks, a pretty good sign that the area has been getting hunted very very hard.

lawoodcocker

Post by lawoodcocker » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:43 pm

We hunted NW of Great Bend from Nov. 16 - 22. Wakeeney was our home base. It seemed that north of I-70 there was still alot of standing milo and we did not do too good up there. Our best days were due south near Cedar Bluff. We ended up with 10 pheasant, 6 quail and a 2 man limit of ducks on 2 evening hunts plus 1 Canada Goose.
This was my 1st time hunting Kansas. We did not see as many birds as I had hoped. S.D. had way more. I did enjoy the bonus quail and ducks however.

smackerquacker

Post by smackerquacker » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:57 am

What is the rule now with nonresident Kansas permits. Used to be if you bought it after Dec 1 or something it was good for the next year. Is that still the case?

scout_on_38s

Post by scout_on_38s » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:05 pm

The date for the next year hunting licenses is later than that I want to say Dec 18th or so... I know its after firearms deer season which this year runs 3rd -14th. Call KDWP they'll be able to tell you. I was out to the GB area over Thanksgiving and had a mixed bag. 19 coyotes, 7 pheasants, 2 quail, 16 duck and 2 geese. There were 3 of us pheasant hunting and 4 of us duck hunting. Didn't get into the pheasants like I expected.
Murphy- RIP

tnduxcaller

Post by tnduxcaller » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:05 am

Did you call the coyotes in???????? That is a bunch of coyotes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BCA1228

Post by BCA1228 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:40 am

Thanks for the info guys. As for licenses, I bought my out of state license online yesterday and it's only good through Dec. 31, 2008. Seems like if you bout one on Jan. 1, it would get you to the end of the calendar year, but I don't know.

scout_on_38s

Post by scout_on_38s » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:58 am

No my brother inlaw has greyhounds he hunts them with. We caught 7of9 Thanksgiving morning and 12of18 Saturday morning.
Murphy- RIP

tnduxcaller

Post by tnduxcaller » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:09 am

I would like to see them greyhounds do that!!!!!!!!!!!! That would be neat.......

scout_on_38s

Post by scout_on_38s » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:29 am

It gets pretty exciting at times. Its cool to watch them get lined out and really stretch to catch up to the coyote.
Murphy- RIP

smackerquacker

Post by smackerquacker » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:11 am

December 15, is when the 2009 licenses go on sale.