SW Oklahoma Quail Hunt

moknowz

SW Oklahoma Quail Hunt

Post by moknowz » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:58 pm

Went to Black Kettle (Public Hunting Land) on Saturday and hunted one of our typical hot spots. Normally, we see anywhere between 6-10 coveys at this location. We just saw 3 coveys and each had 8 or less birds per covey. Similar to our hunt in the Panhandle the week before, bird count is way down. I think we're done with the quail. Hate to make the small coveys any smaller. Time to get ready for the pheasant opener on 1 Dec.

Duane M

Re: SW Oklahoma Quail Hunt

Post by Duane M » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:30 pm

Your report reflects Kettle for the last half decade for the most part. That place has been over hunted badly and the population is reflecting it. I guided on a ranch last year that is surrounded by Kettle and the numbers were totally different, even as bad as last year was. We had an average of 11 coveys/day last season and the horseback guides did even better. Personally I gave up on Kettle when Unit 77 which I had hunted since Kettle opened went from a place you could move 6 coveys to a place with one small covey.

I have hunted Sanders the last two weeks and have done decent. I moved 5 coveys in three and a half hours on the opener, could have been better but the temps got up real quick. I hunted there this Saturday and we managed 8 coveys in about five hours that despite 35MPH winds.

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:17 pm

I hunted some leases up around Cooper WMA last weekend and did real well. We had 3 dogs on the ground at a time and switched them out every 2 to 3 hours. We moved 5 coveys by noon on Saturday and 7 by noon on Sunday. Anybody ever hunt Cooper WMA?

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:15 am

Edited.
Last edited by ACooper on Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:12 pm

I though about trying it. What are the good places to hunt in Cooper?

Chief_dog

Post by Chief_dog » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:19 pm

What are the good places to hunt in Cooper?
Guys I'd be careful giving that kind of info out. I'd do it through a PM if I were you. The internet has caused a lot of places to get pounded into the ground over the years. When I lived in SW Oklahoma, I used to hunt Black Kettle a lot, until people started pumping it up on the internet, giving out specific units to find coveys on. Then the crowds came. Before you knew it, areas I'd consistently moved multiple coveys on didn't have but a covey or two left. I stopped even wasting my time on it long before I left the area.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:33 pm

Thats is darn good advice Dave. Edited previous post.

Duane M

Post by Duane M » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:54 pm

Chief_dog wrote:
Guys I'd be careful giving that kind of info out. I'd do it through a PM if I were you. The internet has caused a lot of places to get pounded into the ground over the years. When I lived in SW Oklahoma, I used to hunt Black Kettle a lot, until people started pumping it up on the internet, giving out specific units to find coveys on. Then the crowds came. Before you knew it, areas I'd consistently moved multiple coveys on didn't have but a covey or two left. I stopped even wasting my time on it long before I left the area.
Yep Dave thats why I only mentioned one spot thats now a desert. You probably hunted old 77 yourself many times.

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:23 pm

Duane M wrote:
Chief_dog wrote:
Yep Dave thats why I only mentioned one spot thats now a desert. You probably hunted old 77 yourself many times.
What about this one....... you just gave up another one of your spots. You guys will never learn. :?
Duane M wrote:I have hunted Sanders the last two weeks and have done decent. I moved 5 coveys in three and a half hours on the opener, could have been better but the temps got up real quick. I hunted there this Saturday and we managed 8 coveys in about five hours that despite 35MPH winds..
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

Duane M

Post by Duane M » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:14 pm

Coveyrise if ya have not hunted Sanders you dont realize just saying you found coveys gives a person zero idea where at. Not all areas there are anywhere near equal. Besides very few people hunt Sanders cause it is rough on dogs and humans alike. A person wants to go through what I do to find birds man they are welcome to it, working to find em is a requisite there. Put it this way if ya can find this spot ya can have a shot at the birds there

The truck was parked almost two miles away from this shot so be prepared to walk and this was the first covey at this stop.

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:05 am

I've hunted Sanders and plan to again this year.... :P You are right, it is a tough one and the birds could be anywhere. I can still make two miles pretty easy even at my age so maybe I will find that spot in your picture. Good hunting the rest of the season.

Coveyrise64

I enjoyed your session at the Wildlife Expo.

Duane M

Post by Duane M » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:44 am

Shoot I'll give ya hint since ya hunt Sandy. That spot is in between two big hills with a creek bottom in between them :lol: .

Did ya talk to me at the Expo? Which day were ya there cause I did a different seminar using different dogs each day. Regardless thanks for the compliment I really enjoy doing those every year, some real good folks and lots of kids to boot.

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:57 am

Guys we should really consider getting some of us together for a hunt. If we all bring our dogs we can rotate them and have fresh dogs on the ground constantly.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:42 pm

Terry when are you going to start doing a seminar? I mean dang man you trained your own VC. Congrats by the way.

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:37 pm

ACooper wrote:Terry when are you going to start doing a seminar? I mean dang man you trained your own VC. Congrats by the way.
Thanks, I appreciate the compliment. Lets see how well I do at the 2009 Invitational, then maybe I'll have something that says I'm that good. The dog in my avatar passed her UT with a 204 Prz I and finished her AKC Senior Hunter this year, hopefully she is on track to get that next VC title. Right now it is hunting season..... :) .

Coveyrise64

Besides, I give a seminar at every training day. :D

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:54 pm

Duane M wrote:Shoot I'll give ya hint since ya hunt Sandy. That spot is in between two big hills with a creek bottom in between them :lol: .

Did ya talk to me at the Expo? Which day were ya there cause I did a different seminar using different dogs each day. Regardless thanks for the compliment I really enjoy doing those every year, some real good folks and lots of kids to boot.
I was there on Friday, didn't get to talk to you though. I spent most of my time listening to the dog seminars. Always adding to my knowledge bank. If I can pick up just one thing at those events it's worth my time. You guys are to be commended, great job for a good cause.

If the spot in your picture is the one I'm thinking of it is a nice area of Sanders, rough but nice. Watch out for the snakes near the gypsum ridges.... :D .

Coveyrise64

Duane M

Post by Duane M » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:32 am

OK so you got to see the seminar I did aimed at the kids, honestly I felt that was not the best of the three I did that weekend the next two days I settled in to a better "groove" so to speak. Still the same topic about going back to the basics of training but better details and examples. If you do versatile work I can put a word in for ya I would sure like to see someone outside that Drathaar loudmouth who runs down every other breed do a versatile seminar.Shoot man ya gotta watch for buzztails out there if the temps get over 65 out thre, thats why we left the opener so early, my dogs are snakebroke but obviously I aint. Ran into a real nice five footer right before we left :minigun:

Romeo I aint at all in objection to a get together, but what do ya mean rotate dogs. That would seriously PO some of my all dayers. :lol: