North Central Kansas

Texrab

North Central Kansas

Post by Texrab » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:26 pm

I got back late Tuesday night before Thanksgiving after 4 days of hunting North Central Kansas. This was my first real bird hunt so my expectations were low. I am use to hunting around TN were the birds are not that great.
Saturday and Sunday we hunted private land around Beloit. We saw a bunch of pheasants; two covies of prairie chickens way out, and a covey of quail. It was around 12 folks hunting so it was not a lot of dog work like I had planned but both of my dogs did get some retrieves and points. It is amazing how much they learn from the start of a trip to the end. This was the first pheasant hunt for both of my dogs.
Monday we hunted around Lucas with 5 folks and 4 dogs rotated in pairs. We saw more pheasants than I expected. We also got into one covey of quail which was fun.
Tuesday we headed east and hunted around Hillsdale Lake to get closer to TN. We did not see any birds but did see a lot of great deer habit.
Lessons learned while on the trip.
The deer are as big in Kansas as on TV. I saw deer every day I was there.
The dogs did better than I thought they would. They are not great because of my lack of training knowledge but both have enough natural ability to make up for it.
I need to learn to shoot. If we were not hunting with people who could shoot our bags may be empty.
I should have taken a good camera with me. I had to stop and buy a disposable one which did not do justice to the pictures.
I want to go back soon.

Here are a couple of pics
This is the crew Me, Geoff (Stumpy), and my nephew

Me and the mutts

The cover we hunted in Beoit

The nephew and I taking a break

The first field of the day
The dog working

More dog working

Dennmor

Re: North Central Kansas

Post by Dennmor » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:19 pm

Nuthin' funnier than a bunch of guys loaded for pheasant, shootin' at Quail! 8)
dennmor
Rather hunt without a gun than without a dog!

Image Image Image

stumpy

Re: North Central Kansas

Post by stumpy » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:42 pm

Except for when one of those guys (me) couldn't hit a the quail to save my life! :lol: