Okie hunters

Duane M

Okie hunters

Post by Duane M » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:52 pm

I dont know about the rest of you Oklahoma hunters but this is ridiculous weather we are having. Not to make you folks snowed in fell like strangling me or anything but these 75 degree days with 20-30MPH winds are getting old. Just in from a pretty decent hunt conditions considered and I'll say this much while it has bounced back somewhat ---------- WMA is still quite down in comparison to other public lands. We hunted a different area than the last times, mainly to get outta the wind some, and managed a few coveys four of which were very nice sized as well as what I think were a couple of scattered popcorn coveys. Sure would like to get a full day in though to see the full population issue.

romeo212000

Re: Okie hunters

Post by romeo212000 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:33 pm

We just got in from a WMA and it was tough. Had some good conditions this morning and moved a couple of nice coveys but the walking was tough. Once it heated up to 73 and all the moisture dried up, and the wind started really blowing it seemed like we were wasting our time. Picked up a couple of scattered popcorn coveys and then nothing after 2:00. Not bad though. I've been out before and done worse. Three of us bagged a couple of birds a piece. Would have had a couple more a piece except we wound up on the wrong side of the wind a couple of times and had some singles get bumped. It was fun, but the weather and country was brutal. Where were you hunting at?
Last edited by romeo212000 on Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Duane M

Post by Duane M » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:06 pm

Where were you hunting at

No habla. :lol:

Chief_dog

Post by Chief_dog » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:05 am

Duane, I had a nice day the other day on another WMA which I won't name (you know which one, lol). You'd be proud of Dixie. I only saw her about a dozen times in four hours, but six of those times were on covies. I couldn't get her pinpointed on my tracker once and she stood that covey for over 20 minutes from the time I noticed she was on point until the birds flushed as I walked by her for about the fourth time. :oops:

I hunted the same place another time this week with a good friend who has some nice pointers, and had a pretty good hunt then also. Those long day hunt trips where I spend more time driving to and from the WMA than actually hunting are about to wear me out though.