Snipe (Woodcock hunters please look)

Benny

Snipe (Woodcock hunters please look)

Post by Benny » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:05 pm

I've been snipe hunting for something to do around my neighborhood on lazy days. I finally got one this morning and when I tried to breast it like I do with most upland birds, it didn't work to well. I think these birds are a close cousin to the woodcock, so I figure some of you guys could help me. Any tips on a way to breast these minuscule birds?

Also, after unsuccessfully trying to breast it, I noticed its got a very fatty breast, looks weird. I'm not a big duck hunter so I'm guessing this is just what waterfowl look like. Any cooking tips? These birds are great fun (as most woodcock hunters already know), so I'd love to figure out a way to eat them without the aid of a brain surgeon to breast them.

Thanks for any tips!
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

lawoodcocker

Re: Snipe (Woodcock hunters please look)

Post by lawoodcocker » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:21 pm

stick thumb under breastbone, pull up. I use game shears to cut the wishbone.
They really are not that tasty. I de-bone the breast halves, wrap with a small piece of bacon and shish-kabob them alternating w/ onion and green pepper.

Benny

Post by Benny » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:55 pm

lawoodcocker wrote:stick thumb under breastbone, pull up. I use game shears to cut the wishbone.
They really are not that tasty. I de-bone the breast halves, wrap with a small piece of bacon and shish-kabob them alternating w/ onion and green pepper.
Not tasty? Whats all the hub-bub about then? Or is it just the snipe that is not tasty? It sounds like woodcock is a favorite bird down there. Thanks for the recipe, that sounds delicious!
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

blanked

Post by blanked » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:53 am

i know nothing about snipe hunting but did that bird hold for your dog? i am in houston and there is good snipe hunting down here but from what i am told the crocodiles share the same rice fields.

Benny

Post by Benny » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:29 am

I'm glad you asked, because I would like to ask the same question to a woodcock hunter.

The snipe don't hold very well, although I've read that they usually do (Oregon Wingshooter Guide: Shewey), but conversely, pointing breed dogs sometimes don't want anything to do with them. I take Emma because it would be impossible for me to slip by her with my orange vest and shotgun and not get a guilt trip, but she did not really point the bird. So I wonder if woodcock are the same deal, because it seems like a lot of dog hunters enjoy woodcock hunting. There could be stark differences due to the fact that snipe are more of a marsh feeding bird, and perhaps take on a different scent?

Either way, if you want to hunt them and are not worried about training your dog (as I should be :D ) just get out there. The dog will scent them enough to flush them out if they work close. Otherwise, just walk the wetter ground around water and stop every 20 yards, because it seems to shake them up if they're holding tight. Sooo much fun to wing shoot, and very challenging! Also, they act like ducks and will circle back if you hold still.
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

aylaschamp

Post by aylaschamp » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:50 am

This thread kind of hits home with me. Here in the Tx flatland's this time of year the Snipe come in by the hoards if the fields are wet. A friend of mine from Mi. always talked about woodcock and I figured for the longest time they were the same..........WRONG! Evidently from what he was saying woodcock hold really well but are a pain to shoot where their found due to cover. These little darting whirlwinds are in the wide open and pop at the slightest disturbance! I believe because of their diet they smell different than most other upland birds. The bitch in my avatar is the only dog I've seen consistently hold point on these birds. I actually think I screwed her up by showing her what they were? As for cleaning the little guys, I view them similar to doves and didn't have too much of a problem breasting them out. They are a bit gamy tasting for me and jalapenos and bacon mask allot of that. the fat on the brest is normal and a result of their diet as well. Hope I helped a bit?

Benny

Post by Benny » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:33 am

Yes! Very helpful. I'm glad I finally have something in common with the good people east of the idaho.
As for ruining the dog by introducing them to snipe, I've been wondering myself. She gets real hoppy when she sees them take off, but has yet to pin them down (due to what you discussed...very flighty).
Terrible story of how I got the bird: I flushed it walking up on it, shot the thing over a shallow marsh pond, and yelled "dead bird!" Emma went nuts trying to find it, and looked in all the cover around the pond. Without waders, I finally gave up and started leading Emma towards the bird floating out about 15 feet from shoreline. She looks at the thing and starts pointing but wouldn't pick it up. Finally I just went waist deep in the "bleep" pond and grabbed it. I guess we know how the hierarchy works now.
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

aylaschamp

Post by aylaschamp » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:33 pm

By ruining my dog I meant that in a humorous way. See, I run trials here in Katy Tx. and this time of year we have a bunch of snipe in the fields. As you may imagine, when your running in a trial and all the dog is supposed to point are quail, she somewhat embarrassed me by pointing several snipe and holding them. It made for a heck of a laugh between the judge and I. It's also funny that when I take the dogs to run out back she knows I haven't planted any birds so she finds all the areas she knows the snipe like to hang out whether I have a gun or not.

natetnc

Post by natetnc » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:40 pm

don't know anything about snipe so these comments are directed toward woodcock only.

woodcock GENERALLY hold tighter than the average gamebird. a lot of people do not like to run their dogs on them because of that very reason. by the woodcock letting the dog crowd the dog learns that it can get close without flushing, this becomes a problem when you switch to grouse hunting where they will consistently bump the grouse when they try to get close. imo woodcock are an easy kill, they flutter around like a wounded bird and for the first flush or so usually only go 15 yards giving you a second opportunity. taste like a dove to me = not the best but not terrible, i usually cook them in something that incorporates the woodcock (casseroles) instead of focuses on it (kabobs), but that is just my preferance.

aylaschamp

Post by aylaschamp » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:44 pm

Then snipe and woodcock only look somewhat alike! Your lucky to get 10 yrds from a snipe before they cackle off. They dart and dive like a sparrow and usually land within a 60 yrd range.

Benny

Post by Benny » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:50 pm

Agreed, woodcock sound quite different because my weeks worth of experience on snipe has been frustrating to say the least. I've never seen a game bird (using the term loosely :lol: ) move so darn fast. Scatter guns couldn't pin these things down.

Well much appreciated for the information! I feel a bit more confident heading out with the dog and breasting out these 8 ounce birds. Also, glad I'm not the only one in the lower 48 shooting at these things. Hardly any info on them except for bedtime stories about "snipe hunts" with burlap sacks.
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

lawoodcocker

Post by lawoodcocker » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:42 am

Most dogs will point a snipe. The problem is the same as if you did not have a dog. You are in a marsh without anything in sight higher than your knees. The snipe see you coming and often flush out of range. They are pretty easy to hit beacause there is nothing but air inbetween you and the bird. Conversely, woodcock are in very thick cover and most flushes are within 10 yards or so. Your shot is likely to be a quick, snap shot before a tree or bush gets in the way.
I meant to say that snipe don't taste nearly as good as a woodcock, but neither are great table fare in my opinion. I prefer ducks.

Rick Hall

Post by Rick Hall » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:34 pm

Benny wrote:So I wonder if woodcock are the same deal, because it seems like a lot of dog hunters enjoy woodcock hunting. There could be stark differences due to the fact that snipe are more of a marsh feeding bird, and perhaps take on a different scent?
I've yet to have a pup that wouldn't instinctively point the gallinaceous family of birds (quail, pheasant, chuckar, grouse, etc), usually on first contact, but some needed to be shown that birds from other families (snipe, woodcock, rail, pigeons, doves and such) were considered game before they'd point them. So I'm thinking there's a scent cue common to gallinaceous birds not found in others. By the same token, once a pup that needed shown woodcock were game pointed them, he'd also point their snipe cousins, and a pup trained on pigeons would also then point doves - all the while still largely ignoring other families of birds it hadn't been taught to consider game.

(Tickles me that lawoodcocker thinks snipe are "pretty easy to hit".)
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: Rick's 2009-2010 season log)

Benny

Post by Benny » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:49 pm

Some of us are better shots I guess? :)

I can't talk too much, I have terrible days at the wing, but I did used to consider myself an intermediate until I met the snipe. Thanks snipe :cry:
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

dlfl

Post by dlfl » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:54 pm

Snipe Breast Mediterranean

*12 aged Snipe Breast, boned
6 slices Thick Bacon, one slice for two breast
¼ cup Balsamic Vinegar
¼ cup low salt Soy Sauce
1 clove minced Garlic
1/3 cup Brown Sugar
½ teaspoon Ginger
¼ teaspoon Nutmeg
¼ teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon salt ( leave out if using regular soy salt)

Bone the breast
Mix all ingredients
Add breast to mixture marinade for at least 4 hours

Par cook the bacon to ½ done
Wrap one breast in ½ strip bacon using toothpicks to hold together.

Grill or Broil until bacon is done and breast are med rare / med.

Serve with cold beer!
* I age the whole birds in the refrigerator for at least 4-7 days. I have gone as long as 9 days.
# Note: If you do not use aged breast then add 2 cups 7UP and marinade for 12-24 hours.
@ This may also be cooked by sautéing in skillet.

Dіck

Benny

Post by Benny » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:58 pm

Holy cow! I'm starving now :D

Thanks for sharing. I wrote down the recipe and saved it on my computer. Now I just need to get a dozen of the little buggers!
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

aylaschamp

Post by aylaschamp » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:41 pm

Benny wrote:Holy cow! I'm starving now :D

Thanks for sharing. I wrote down the recipe and saved it on my computer. Now I just need to get a dozen of the little buggers!
COME ON DOWN HERE!!! We'll fill the bag and have a heck of a dinner! :wink:

Benny

Post by Benny » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:12 pm

Sounds good, been meaning to see a Rockets game someday.
We bumped one this afternoon but the darn things fly so low on takeoff they skim right over Emma's back. Not willing to test how tight my pattern is over the dog :wink:
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

dlfl

Post by dlfl » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:15 am

I broke in my Ithica Western on Dec. 24,08 on snipe.

Dіck

lawoodcocker

Post by lawoodcocker » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:10 pm

Hey dlfl,
Ya'll got a huntable population of wild quail near Panama city/ Appalachacola area?

dlfl

Post by dlfl » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:15 am

Appalachacola WMA has one area that has been improved for quail but it is not keep up very well because of funds and manpower.

Most hunting is with released birds in this area.
Dіck

Vom Britt

Post by Vom Britt » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:09 am

Benny,

Woodcock/timberdoodles are without a doubt my favorite bird to chase with my dogs. That snipe breast looks like it could have been a doodles. What I do with mine is lay them on their back and starting from the tail area pull the feathers toward the head and expose the breast. I then filet each side of the breast using a small sharp jackknife or leatherman. Start at the top of the breast as close to the rib cage as you can using short strokes with the knife, when one side is completed spin around and filet the opposite side out.This will leave you with two smalll filets which I like to pan fry to rare/med.rare in a very hot skillet, flipping once. Top filets with mushrooms and onions sauteed with garlic and enjoy the flavors. And as Dlfl mentioned serve with beer preferably a good dark or amber or two :wink:

If you plan on freezing bird filets/game Saran wrap works great because you can eliminate most of the 0xygen in the wrap. Use two sheets, wrap the first and then on one of those post it sticky notes jot down type of game, numbers, dates etc. and stick it on. Wrap the second sheet around the first and you will have a seal that will last for at least one year. No need to use a freezer bag except maybe for organizing.

Dlfl.

Thank-you for your recipe, it made my mouth start to water. We will be thawing out doodle filets this weekend :wink:
Last edited by Vom Britt on Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:04 pm

The woocock hold exceedingly well for pointing dogs. They will really test a dogs staunchess. A lot of them either run around in front of the dog as if he wasn't there, or worse, flutter up, fly 5 or ten yards, and set back down.

Never overcook them. The rarer you serve them, the better they taste. Cook them well done and they'll taste like a cross between liver and a leather boot.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

dirtdober

Post by dirtdober » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:23 pm

Now days snipe hunting just isn't as much fun as it use to be. It seems everyone carries a cell phone which makes their trip home a lot quicker than when I was in high school. I was always nice to our "hunting partner" and made sure he had a large burlap bag on cold nights and not just a plastic bag. But usually our snipe hunting took place in the summer.

I didn't even know snipe are considered a gamebird, is there a season on them? There are a lot of them around here, maybe I should give them a try. But I'm taking a cell phone with me.
Last edited by dirtdober on Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dlfl

Post by dlfl » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:35 pm

Dirtdober,
I believe that Snipe are the only shore bird that are legal to hunt. There is a season on them and many in Texas hunt them. Check out http://thesnipehuntersforum.yuku.com/ if you want to talk snipe.

"bleep"
Dіck