Last chance at a late season OK quail hunt

romeo212000

Last chance at a late season OK quail hunt

Post by romeo212000 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:11 pm

I took the dogs out last weekend with a friend who is actually my wife's boss. The hunting in Oklahoma has been kinda tough the last few years so when I was offered the opportunity to hunt private land that had not been touched all year I could not say no. Saturday we cut the dogs loose on 160 acres of CRP land with a large part of it being covered with head tall CRP grass. It was unlike anything I ever hunted but good lord was it ever thick with bobwhites. I had limited out by the time we got back to the truck at 11:30 and by that time we had found 10 coveys. I had my 4 year old GSP female (Pepper) out there and a pup of hers that was just over 18 months old (Laney). Pepper had 4 covey finds Saturday and Laney had found 2 or 3 with some singles between them. I was limited out by noon. We never walked far without bumping a covey or the dogs slamming one. I had always wondered what the older men talked about hunting being like in the old days when they would move 15 to 20 coveys a day. It was amazing. The nex day we didnt move as many birds. We hunted a different place but the dogs both slammed one covey each and a couple of singles a piece. We left the field before 11:30. So not terrible. Pretty good way to end the season. Now its time to get crankin' for trial season.

displaced_texan

Re: Last chance at a late season OK quail hunt

Post by displaced_texan » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:17 pm

Just curious where yall were...

General area is good enough:D We hunt north central, and west mostly, all private land. Numbers were decent, but nothing like that. Some buddies of mine are headed out SW tomorrow early for a few days, but I'm headed NE to a small patch of private land with a few decent covies on it.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

BuckWheat

Post by BuckWheat » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:11 am

Oklahoma hunting has been great .. there are birds and alot of them

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:59 pm

The biggest thing I miss is the quail hunting of the old days.I live in the small state of Md.,but we had excellent quail populations up to the early-mid 80's,It's all I hunted for years and they're what got me into pointing dogs.Those days are gone forever in my area and the DNR could care less.Yous guys that still have good native quail populations to hunt are very Fortunate.To me no other bird hunting compares to quail hunting,especially with good dogs.
Dog On Point!!

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:42 am

Come on down. I'll be happy to take ya.