Maine Hunting Camp Recommendations

bert01

Maine Hunting Camp Recommendations

Post by bert01 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:13 pm

Planning a hunt this fall for the North Woods area. Anyone have any recommendations on places they've stayed in or surrounding that area. Not looking for anything real fancy trying to keep costs down. This will be my first trip with my britt and looking forward to getting her on some wild birds. Thanks in advance.

Rob

buckmaster

Re: Maine Hunting Camp Recommendations

Post by buckmaster » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:55 pm

Are you looking to stay at a lodge...or a do it yourself affair...any of the old line names of lodges are great as in the Weatherby's, Libby..Grant...etc...but that will not keep costs down by any stretch. If you are looking for a very inexpensive do it yourself, and save alot of driving...there are millions of acres of public land in the Adirondacks of NY and you can find grouse in most of them and a places to stay for less than $50 a night or camp. Terrain however is not the overgrown fields and apple orchards with golden aspens you picture in a book...but there are grouse. If you wanted to try both I would suggest maybe hunting the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont...easy public access and cheap..terrain similar to the Adirondacks....then drive on to Maine for a few days...break up the trip. This fall I was thinking of taking the family to maine...and if the numbers of grouse arent' working...maybe scooting over to Nova Scotia.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:47 am

All you need to do is go to Moosehead either side Kokajo or Pittston Farm or GreenVille or Rockwood. Get a room at a hotel or one of those places. Get a Maine Gazeteer find dirt roads and go hunting. Or Go to Seboomick Campground on the North End of the Lake and rent a cabin. There is a lot of land up there to hunt that only costs your liscense, food, gate fee ($7:00 day) and hunt a way. You can even haul short campers into the paper company lands or tent out for a small fee each day. (Check out Pittson Farm) Pretty area good food, can even make a cast and blast trip.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

bert01

Post by bert01 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:46 pm

thanks for the ideas and input. Doubt I will be able to hunt two states given the amount of time I will have but it does make sense while you're there. I was able to find a lot of cabins in the areas you were talking for $60-$80 per night. Since there are two of us the cost is fairly low. This will be my dad and my first trip to Maine and looking forward to it. The pup doesn't know what she's in for but will have a blast I'm sure. We got a few things to work on but have the next 5 months for that. Thanks again.

briarpatch

Post by briarpatch » Tue May 26, 2009 8:54 am

Take your camera and lots of film or batteries and memory cards if digital, I never bird hunted up there yet, but the area around moosehead lake is beutiful country just above greenville on the papermill land and around baxter state park area, truely is gods country..And I saw grouse walking across the dirtroads in that area so I know they are there...
the places ruffshooter mentioned in this area are just gorgous.. you will definately want lots of pictures..
I know there is an econo lodge in kakajo (if that is spelled correctly) that is a decent motel, indoor pool and the works..not sure if they allow dogs there or not..

mm

Post by mm » Thu May 28, 2009 4:20 am

Hey Rob
Did your dog come home yet. How did she do , I guess good since your planning this trip.
Mario

bert01

Post by bert01 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:56 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. Booked a camp outside of Jackman. Great price and includes meals which we were planning to do ourselves. Looking forward to the trip. We still have some work to do. Unfortunately the Johnny House isn't building itself. With as little experience as I have now with Maine, I can tell you the people there from wildlife to the forestry department have gone out of their way to answer questions and provide information. The paper companies not so much.

Mario - She was only there for a month and half and got a good foundation for steady to wing. The rest is up to me. Poor dog.

Take care.

GUNSMOKE

Post by GUNSMOKE » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:43 am

Bert who did you book with? I sent you a pm about hunting in Maine. I know that area quite well. Keep in mind that part of the state has seen nothing but torential down pours for the month of June. There really is better spots than that corridor up Rt. 201. Last year on our way back from camp we stoped in Jackman for a couple of days yes had birds but last years numbers were off I can't imagine what this year will bring with all of the rain they've had. When are you going it willmake a difference as far as Woodcock goes also. I'm usually in the sate for the whole month.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:11 am

The rain has been non stop all month. Which is hard on the nesting and chicks. You are not far from Moosehead, just head down Route 6 and get to Rockwood. You will always find birds there. Funny thing, many folks will just drive down the road and then hunt when they see birds. (Good to get a new grouse dogs attention and jump start them) After the first week those are mostly young birds. Move further into the paper company lands get off the road hike a bit you will find the birds. For some Reason Moosehead always holds good birds. (490 road, Lost pond road, Greene mountain, etc.) Jackman is similar but I think gets more pressure. The forks is good also which is just down the road on 201, If you go early enough bring a fly rod and or spin cast good trout and salmon, Rainbows in the Kennebec also. Little brooks hold great eater trout.( Check out the Moose season, it is split during the first of the bird season. Also there is time for a second hatch on the grouse. Enjoy.
Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

bert01

Post by bert01 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:18 pm

Gunsmoke - Sent a PM.

I've been looking at the weather and not good. But I am committed and still excited. THis will be my first trip, hopefully of many, and will do what I can. We'll be there the first full week of October which is also the week before the moose hunting season in most of the state. I am not opposed to getting off the road and finding spots even if we find limited birds. Hopefully we will catch any woodcock coming through.

Wish we had time to bring the rods. Next time.