Start planning... Kansas upland dates for '09

CimarronGSPs

Start planning... Kansas upland dates for '09

Post by CimarronGSPs » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:53 am

Here's the dates according to the KDWP website.
Pheasant and quail 11-14-09 to 1-31-10
Prairie Chickens 9-15-09 to 10-15-09 early season in Eastern half of 28;1 11-21-09 to 1-31-10 for the Eastern and Northwestern zones
11-21-09 to 12-31-09.

Hope this helps all of us to make it through the long wait until next Fall... at least something to look forward to.

DB
Chief's Cimarron War Hawk

Chocolate Head

Re: Start planning... Kansas upland dates for '09

Post by Chocolate Head » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:05 am

I'm already booked for the week before Christmas. Last year was my first trip to KS, or anywhere outside of Louisiana, to hunt. Needless to say it was awesome. We never took a limit of quail or pheasant, but the experience was excellent. We waterfowl hunted two days and limited both times. We didn't even see a prairie chicken last year. I would love see one, much less take one.

After getting advice from KS locals on another forum, we decided to try later in the season to avoid crowds. I'm also told that pheasant hunting gets better as it gets colder. I'm going to find out. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Benny

Post by Benny » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:59 pm

Chocolate Head wrote: Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Well for starters, if you're from S. Louisiana and you're going to Kansas in December...start stocking up on layers :lol:
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

PrairieGoat

Post by PrairieGoat » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:03 pm

I like those dates....this year I should be able to catch opening day (with a hundred thousand or so of my best friends!!!) after a weeks worth of warm-up in South Dakota.....YAHOOOOOO.....I'm ready!!! Is it fall yet?!? :D

natetnc

Post by natetnc » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:15 am

booked again for the week after turkey day, already starting the countdown.

southernblues

Post by southernblues » Sun May 17, 2009 10:36 pm

MMMMMM....lookin' forward to the season opener. On company (mandated) furlough week of Thanksgiving, will be hitting I-70 from KC out to central KS several times. Gettin' in my licks

luke0927

Post by luke0927 » Thu May 21, 2009 9:40 pm

If the hatch is good i plan on taking my first trip to Kansas around the 2nd week of the season...hows the best way to get accurate info on the hatch...i would say the DNR but I would say they are in it to sell licenses so will you truly get accurate reports?

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Fri May 22, 2009 8:35 am

luke0927 wrote:If the hatch is good i plan on taking my first trip to Kansas around the 2nd week of the season...hows the best way to get accurate info on the hatch...i would say the DNR but I would say they are in it to sell licenses so will you truly get accurate reports?
actually- for years the DNR has been pretty good- they count on the mail carriers for a lot of information- right now is the hatching season, so a lot of rain in certain areas dictates the hatch, but quail will lay a second batch if the first get wiped out- maybe best to watch the website and give a few calls thru the summer- 2nd weekend can be quite hecktic on public land

luke0927

Post by luke0927 » Sat May 23, 2009 7:57 am

Shadow wrote:
luke0927 wrote:If the hatch is good i plan on taking my first trip to Kansas around the 2nd week of the season...hows the best way to get accurate info on the hatch...i would say the DNR but I would say they are in it to sell licenses so will you truly get accurate reports?
actually- for years the DNR has been pretty good- they count on the mail carriers for a lot of information- right now is the hatching season, so a lot of rain in certain areas dictates the hatch, but quail will lay a second batch if the first get wiped out- maybe best to watch the website and give a few calls thru the summer- 2nd weekend can be quite hecktic on public land

Thanks I'm flexible on the dates i want to go as early as possible but not where its crazy and having people barging in around you....My dogs are young so want to go before the birds get even more skidish

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Sun May 24, 2009 9:41 am

good for you to be thinking- skitish birds later in the season is not all bad for a young pointer- some actually don't want to fly but prefer to run- teaches dogs- and when they do pin one it's entense- and you can read the dog and sort of help it

if it's public WIHA's you might find crowding and some actually trying to grab up sections- if your dogs get out there aways you might want to stay away from big fields and find small ones- I sort of feel those first couple weekends are a test to a young dog- sort of along the line of you want a bit of control- so when you meet other hunters and dogs yours will stick with you

I've found December and January to be the best- birds are there- less presure less competition- have to hunt a bit harder sometimes- but more enjoyable

whatever you choose- enjoy the country and the time afield

RuttCrazed

Post by RuttCrazed » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:43 pm

I like that later starting date for pheasant, should be cooler and the most of the crops should be harvested by then. This will be my second year trying for a prairie chicken, hopefully we can pull it off this season!

Rut

Boxa

Post by Boxa » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:07 pm

I agree, the opener was pretty warm in my book last year. We hunted west of Salina and saw more more quail than pheasant. Anyone hearing good reports for KS this year? I have a feeling Missouri birds might be flooded out, unless they're hatching with 'water wings'...
Caleb F. Bryson
Bryson's Boxa Kennel

FC/AFC Bryson's Boxa Briarpatch Baby SH
FC/AFC Bryson's Boxa Lucky St. Lindy SH
DC/AFC Bryson's Boxa Wendell W. Woodbriar

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:32 am

Boxa wrote:I agree, the opener was pretty warm in my book last year. We hunted west of Salina and saw more more quail than pheasant. Anyone hearing good reports for KS this year? I have a feeling Missouri birds might be flooded out, unless they're hatching with 'water wings'...
I was west of Salina first 3 days of the season- thought the weather was about perfect- course me and mine are used to cool and warm-

I'd say we should be expecting better than last year- interesting that you ran into more quail than pheasants