Duck Hunting Styles

fishvik

Duck Hunting Styles

Post by fishvik » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:20 pm

After reading some of the recent posts on the forum about shotgun loads, decoy ratios and setting, and training dogs for water retrieving, I was just wondering what style of hunting do most of you guys and gals use for waterfowl?

- In what region of the country do you do most of your waterfowl hunting?(ie. east coast, midwest, southeast, etc.)

- Do you jump shoot/skull, pass shoot, decoy or some mixture of all three?

-What gauges and shell sizes to you use?

-Do you use steel mostly or some other form of non-toxic shot?

-If you decoy when do you usually try to to shoot, when they first get into range, when they have cupped wings and landing gear down, or after they land and you spook them up again?

-Do you hunt mostly over water or in a field? If over water is it a large lake/reservoir, pothole, marsh or moving water? Do you use some type of boat? with a motor?

- Do you use a mechanical or motorized decoy of some sort?

-And those of you with more than one dog, do you primarily use your upland dog for waterfowling or do you have a second breed?

-And last what type of waterfowl do you mostly hunt(geese, divers, dabblers, sea ducks) and are there any species you won't shoot?

PrairieGoat

Re: Duck Hunting Styles

Post by PrairieGoat » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:55 pm

- In what region of the country do you do most of your waterfowl hunting?(ie. east coast, midwest, southeast, etc.)

Colorado, Oklahoma, NM

All three

12g - 3" or 3 1/2" mags. Generally #4 shot for ducks, #1 to BB for geese

Kent Fasteel for the close-in work, HeviShot for followup

-If you decoy when do you usually try to to shoot, when they first get into range, when they have cupped wings and landing gear down, or after they land and you spook them up again?

Flaps and landing gear down!

-Do you hunt mostly over water or in a field? If over water is it a large lake/reservoir, pothole, marsh or moving water? Do you use some type of boat? with a motor?

Fields and small water, either ponds/marshes or rivers. No boat.

For ducks I wouldn't leave home without my Mojo (and if I forgot it, I'd go back for it)! Mechanical decoys don't typically work real well with geese, although I don't know why since we generally "flag" them.

-And those of you with more than one dog, do you primarily use your upland dog for waterfowling or do you have a second breed?

I don't have an "upland" dog, only a versatile dog (aka GSP)!!!

-And last what type of waterfowl do you mostly hunt(geese, divers, dabblers, sea ducks) and are there any species you won't shoot?[/quote]

Geese and puddlers, leave the coots and mergansers alone! :twisted:

Did I pass the test??? :lol:

marshboy

Post by marshboy » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:05 pm

In what region of the country do you do most of your waterfowl hunting?(ie. east coast, midwest, southeast, etc.)
Midwest

Over the decoys

I don't specifically target geese, only ducks. I shoot a couple of different Benelli 12 gauges, and shoot Kent Fasteel 3 inch #4s, at 1425 fps. Its a deadly load through an IC choke over the decoys

Steel

Ideally, feet down over the dekes. Some days, though, one pass may be all you'll get. You've got to learn to read the birds.

I only hunt over water, the vast majority of the time in cattail marshes. 99.9% I hunt out of my duck boat...I've got a 20 hp Kohler mudmotor on it.

Never, for me it takes away from the experience.

Only one dog for me, a black lab that I use for waterfowl and upland hunting.

-And last what type of waterfowl do you mostly hunt(geese, divers, dabblers, sea ducks) and are there any species you won't shoot?
I mainly hunt puddle ducks, although I really enjoy shooting divers. I try to hold off on the spoonies, but really love shooting and eating the rest of the dabblers.

marshboy

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:16 am

Thanks Marshboy and Prairiegoat for your responses.
Most of my waterfowl hunting for the last 35 years has been along the Snake River in southern Idaho. I hunt mostly ducks but also shoot 1 or 2 geese a year. I hunt almost entirely over water with decoys but also drift and jump shoot occasionally. I hunt and eat almost all species of duck with the exception of mergs and ruddies. I really like hunting goldeneyes late in the season.
I usually hunt with a wind activated wing whirling decoy and a jerk string attached to a feeder decoy for action in my set. I like to shoot birds within 30 yds and shoot when the wings are cupped and gear down. I shoot a 870 pump with 2 ¾ in hand loaded 1 1/8 steel #3s.
I hunt walkin blinds on the river or out of a canoe in a local WMA. I hunt with the same dogs I use for upland hunting, a lab/pointer cross or my shorthair. The shorthair doesn’t get called into duty late in the season because of the cold.
The reason I wanted the info I asked for is that it has been my experience that duck hunting is becoming more and more just duck shooting. Sky busting is real bad around here, particularly early in the season. I popular way to hunt is to line up on the levys in the marsh or along the banks of the Snake and pass shoot . It seems there has been a trend towards big guns, bigger shells, longer shots and more shooting. I also seems like more wounding also takes place
With that said what would you guys think about federal laws that would limit the size and number of shotgun shells a waterfowl hunter could have in their possession. I think this would bring us back to a sport based on decoy setting, concealment and calling instead of just filling the air with lead and hoping a duck runs into it. I know some federal refuges have gone that way. What do you all think?

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:01 am

12 gage, 3" fast (the federal stuff first shot, hevishot second,) mod and full, Ruger redlable stainless with camo tape.
mostly, end of ponds in the rice grass some pass shooting on streams, will be hitting the river this year, lived right next to it all my younger life and never went there.
Use my GSP and French britts out of my canoe or from shore, make the canoe a blind or sit a blind.
I use some plastic dekes and some of my carved ones.
As far as shooting the ducks, depends when I see them. I take some on full wing when pass shooting, some dropping into the dekes, some when I wake up from my nap and see them in the dekes and they see me move up and the leave.
I hunt mostly dabblers, woodducks and mallards, some ring neck, some blacks, some canadian geese. (What ever wants to show it self and will eat).

Won't shoot coots, but they are fun to watch, won't shoot common mergansers, tougher than nails.

Only went sea duck hunting once, need to get into it. That is my type of weather, just not rigged for itl although this year I carved two surf scoters and have one eider head (super magnum) need to glue up a body that is big enough.

Fishvick, You ever run into Tommy Matus on the snake in Idaho, not sure exactly his location there.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:44 pm

Ruffshooter,
Fishvick, You ever run into Tommy Matus on the snake in Idaho, not sure exactly his location there.
I haven't run into this gentleman in my Snake River jaunts but I'll keep an eye out.

I grew up in southern Conn. and remember hunting sea ducks while I was in high school (A very long, long time ago). As I remember, It was a hoot though. A real survival test. One of my buddys lost his boat and had to get plucked off a rock off the coast by a Coast Guard helicopter.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:38 am

Fishvick;
Strangely enough, Tommy is from CT also. Or at least spent many years there in his youth. He learned Decoy carving there and now is well known in the Deocy carving world.

Funny how folks migrate. I keep looking at Idaho. But fear I would miss the ocean and the Maine Woods.
Rick

Rick

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:22 am

Rick,
Yeah I missed the salt water quite a bit when I first moved out here too. I did alot of sailing as a kid. But Idaho is so diverse that sea coast and tropical forest are about the only things we don't have. The panhandle area would remind you alot of Maine only without the richness of fall colors. Most of our forested areas have good grouse populations. Of course our ruffs are not like your "patridge", ours are alot dumber and usually when flushed fly up on to the nearest branch. But we do have blues and spruce grouse in our forests and sage and sharptails out on the steppe lands. Sharpies are my favorite.

Hey reading another post you talked about hunting your Brit on ducks until thick ice time in Maine. Do you put a neoprene suit on your dogs? I had one for my pointer/lab cross and it worked fine even late into the season. She's going on 13 and has been retired for the most part. I have a year old GSP and she's a great swimmer and water retriever but even with a wet suit I think she'll be done by Thanksgiving.

Well if you ever get a hankering to get out this way let me know and we can tie into each other and chase some forest or plains grouse. Or if you are up to real self punishment go chase chukars. You hunt them the first time for fun and then then for revenge.

Arn

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:29 am

So you are the guy that started this whole pointing lab thing? :lol: I don't use the vest unless it is windy. But they do work well.

I hope to one day soon get out your way and make a few weeks of it to see how We like it. The other part I worry about is the summer tempratures. If I can get there, I certainly would take you up on your offer.

Have a good day.
Rick

Rick