waterfowl/upland combo hunt

omega58

waterfowl/upland combo hunt

Post by omega58 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:37 am

Had a great weekend. . We wound up with a mallard and nice drake wood duck Saturday morning.
We also managed our goose limit and Skyler made her first goose retreive. . .I was rather excited to watch that take place. She went after one in the water, of course the one with quite a bit of life left that gave her a nice swat with the wings. That only turned the prey drive up a few notches and she grabbed it. I don't expect too much out of her, but she doesn't seem to mind this waterfowl thing too much.

Here's Sky bringing back the goose (had to brighten up the pic to see the outline)

Here is a couple of pics of our take.

We managed one rooster pheasant from this place as well (listed as preserve) and later in the evening we went on our place at around 6:45 pm and ran into some pheasants and woodcock, but ran out of daylight to hit our grouse area. We put up 9 pheasants in about a 15 minute span, our preserve cover is looking great and we found them in an area that I was actually expecting to put a grouse up. I think we are pulling a lot of the wild pheasant from the area down the road with the amount of food we have for them now, it should be a fun year out there.

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:41 am

Looking Good...nice mixed bag. :!:

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:39 pm

Wow right on. Nice looking birds. Young Rooster eh. Did ur dogs point the pheasant or were they on a retrive and it busted.

omega58

Post by omega58 » Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:50 am

Ryan wrote:Wow right on. Nice looking birds. Young Rooster eh. Did ur dogs point the pheasant or were they on a retrive and it busted.
We had three dogs on point on the pheasant when a woodcock flew by, my buddy shot that and then the rooster went up. We hit a pocket of pheasant and had good points on them all. Granted some flushes were three birds at once, which we didn't expect. My weim even pointed a wood duck that we barely winged and then the lab and her nailed it as it ran, very cool to watch. Gotta love versatile dogs!!!

Not too many pieces of property in Michigan where you can have pheasant, woodcock, and grouse in the same area. We have put in a lot of habitat improvement to bring the pheasants in from surrounding areas and it worked. :D