Hunting Fort Riley Or Fort Sill?

Bird Buster

Hunting Fort Riley Or Fort Sill?

Post by Bird Buster » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:31 pm

Retired military and planning my first bird trip to Ks. or Ok. Trying to do it cheap so I was thinking about hunting on govt. land. Has anyone hunted on Fort Riley in Ks. or Fort Sill in Ok.? Are the bird numbers fairly decent? Thanks for the help and guidance.

Tejas

Re: Hunting Fort Riley Or Fort Sill?

Post by Tejas » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:36 pm

Is hunting allowed on Fort Sill? I would be surprised if that were the case.

Bird Buster

Post by Bird Buster » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:34 pm

I am sure it is. Most all bases or posts allow some sort of hunting. Just looking for some feedback from someone who has bird hunted there.

mudhunter

Post by mudhunter » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:42 pm

Can't report about Bird populations on Fort Sill, But they absolutely allow hunting. By brother spent some time there about two years ago and he said it was hands down the best hunting of his life. He often saw true monsters Whitetails, herds of elk, turkey, bobcat, and coyotes all in the same hunt.

spaniel_man

Post by spaniel_man » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:47 am

They do allow hunting on fort Riley, there are a few hoops to jump through however like finding the areas open for hunting and registering your gun with the fort. Personally I would strongly advise not hunting on post, especially with dogs. I know of a couple people who had their dogs cut up pretty bad by razor wire that was left in the field. If you are determined for a Kansas hunt, consider some of the walk in hunting areas.