Wisconsin Grouse - First weekend Out

rschuster54303`

Wisconsin Grouse - First weekend Out

Post by rschuster54303` » Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:48 pm

Hi All,

Was up north this weekend, Townsend/Wabeno, Wi area (Forest county for those not famular). I had what I would consider a decent day Saturday, not productive in the sense of bagged birds but decent in sited birds. (any1 that hunts ruffed should understand this).

My question is A) does this board have any other Ruffed hunters? and B) if so how have your results been? I know it is very thich yet, leaves are still dropping but I am curious with your comparisons to last year. I would consider this about the same thus far but I am looking for additional input.

Anyone else hunting northern WI?

Oh as a side note saw a few Timberdoodles, but I don't think the flights have started yet.

Regards,

Rob

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:16 pm

RSchuster,

Where are you from? If everyone would fill out a little about your self it would be nice and easier to get to know everyone.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Addict

Post by Addict » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:07 pm

rschuster54303,

Welcome to the forum.

I like to chase grouse as well. Around here it has been a bad year. I have seen very few where they have been thick in previous years. Have bagged a fcouple ruffs and a couple of blues but that is over about six trips.

I got stopped by a F&G officer and he said that nobody has been getting or seeing any either.

Addict

Bird Dog 67

Post by Bird Dog 67 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:37 am

YES!!! Another "Ruff Head" head from Wisconsin! Rschuster, I've been out 3 times and have bagged 5 ruffies so far. I've seen/heard more birds by far than last year and have only been hunting for about 7 total hours. Have also gotten into some good local populations of Woodies as well. Limited twice on them and 2 Woodies this past Saturday. I usually hunt west-central part of the state but will be up in the Tomahawk area in two weeks and then around Phillips.

omega58

Post by omega58 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:54 am

Grouse hunting here is Michigan is a lot better than last year. Sunday after our duck hunt (4 wood ducks), we put the labs up and put my 2 1/2 yr old weimy girl on the ground for 1 1/2 hours. She managed 8 woodcock and 2 grouse and we bagged 4 woodcock. She is getting the hang of these wild birds and a couple of my waterfowl buddies are hooked on the doodles and ruffies!!!

rschuster54303`

Post by rschuster54303` » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:02 pm

Alright Ezzy I filled in my location I didn't see a "name" field. Was there something else in my profile you want me to include?

Bird Dog 67 I have never chased Grouse that far west, I tend to stay north of Lakewood and east of Crandon.

I spoke with a couple of people on Sunday who felt the hunting was bad last year and not much better this year. I would have to comment that if I could manage to hit what I see this year would be much better then last year. Although going from a 10 year old dog to a 2 year old and a 8 month old I really can't complain.....much :lol:

Omega are you a troll or a uper?

Regards,

Rob

omega58

Post by omega58 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:24 pm

rschuster54303` wrote:
Omega are you a troll or a uper?

Regards,

Rob
Rob,

I'm a troll, live in Grand Rapids area right now, but most of the property I hunt is around Clare (Mt. Pleasant) where I am originally from. We actually are lucky enough to have wild grouse/pheasant/ and woodcock on our one piece of property, that is fun hunting!

Randy

drwink

Last week & weekend

Post by drwink » Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:48 pm

we had our 2nd annual grouse camp in northern lower Michigan.
Wednesday temps reached the mid eighties and we didn't hunt but finished setting up camp, gathering firewood, drinking a couple cold ones & catching up.
Thursday brought cooler temps & we started hitting the woods.
Numbers were decent but not that much better than last year. The same time last year I think we had more Woodcock as I think the flights started a little earlier.
Each hour to hour and a half hunt produced about a half dozen birds flushed.
Hunters kept arriving in our camp through friday & we had a total of 23 I think show up but 3 were just visiting. We broke into groups of about 3 and hit different covers each day.
Alot of out of state hunters seen also & there luck was about the same.
We only made one trip out in 4 days that didn't produce a flush.
Still a lot of leaf cover & Woodcock flights should start soon. I'm thinking weekend of the 22/23 should be real good.

NDBDHunter

Post by NDBDHunter » Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:38 pm

I've been Grouse hunting in northern MN and have been moving 1.25 birds per hour. It may not be the best success rate, but it's still fun.

birddog

Post by birddog » Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:56 pm

Went grouse hunting yesterday with my young GWP, Micah. She has never been in the Wisconsin grouse woods until yesterday and what a grand job she did. For her first grouse hunt, we had 15 flushes with Micah pointing 13 of them. She also pointed 1 woodcock. They are still saying the grouse are down, but by golly, if you asked her, she would say "What you talking about Willis", I found them"! :)

Janet

wire

Post by wire » Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:05 pm

Hi wannabe,

You can get a wiredhaired, like the one in the picture, from

birddog. I have one (Erin) the best wirehaired, I ever owned and I

have owned several. I have hunted with birddog,dogs in Wisconsin for grouse. When her dogs point, the grouse is there. Had surgery in July, had to cancled hunt this year. Planing for next year hunt with birddog.

wired