Sage grouse

texscala

Sage grouse

Post by texscala » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:34 am

After last years plans fell through (who gets married during hunting season :x ) I got the opportunity to hunt Sage grouse. Lots of walking and not as many birds as I had hoped but I managed to take two birds. My pup had a solid point on a juvenile bird and did a great job for how hot it was (almost 80 degrees).

The male is probably about 1/6 the weight of my dog.

Juvenile

Male

Ditch__Parrot

Re: Sage grouse

Post by Ditch__Parrot » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:46 pm

Jeesh it even looks hot in those pics. Thanks for sharing. Didn't realize those Sage Grouse were that large of bird, very cool.

Dave C

Post by Dave C » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:54 am

Nice pics and them do look fine birds.

Dave.

TEX-X

Post by TEX-X » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:02 pm

they are on the "endangered" list up here in WA. but they are cool looking birds. did they hold to cover pretty good? or was it one of those things if you get withing 50 yds they'll break?

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:19 pm

We've had a bumper crop of sage chickens up here. My son and I went out last Sunday and both got our 2 birds. We flushed about 12 out of the groups that we got our birds out of and another 15 to 20 walking back to the truck. This has been one of the best years we've had in the last two decades. The birds held well, and I got some good points out of my pup even though the conditions were dry and hot. Steady to flush wasn't so great, but when 5-6 "thunder chickens" get up I can see a young dog getting a little excited and losing composure. :roll:

The day before my son got 5 ducks during the youth hunt. I think I'm just gonna work the dog and let him do the shooting from now on.

muddycreek

Post by muddycreek » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:14 pm

Great pics, and good looking dog. I sur ehope they don't list em, as they are on my "bucket list"

texscala

Post by texscala » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:42 am

The juvenile bird was pointed really well. It may be the best overall experience I have had with Arrow. She locked up solid and I whispered "whoa" as I approached knowing there was a bird in that sage patch. A few steps after I walked in front of her the bird leaped into the sky and started to scream across the horizon. I took my time with the 870 I had not shot in a year (practiced all summer with the 20 side by side) and pulled past the bird until the head was over the sights and pulled the trigger making sure to follow through. The bird folded and fell to the ground. When I got to it Arrow was trying to figure out how to pick it up and I decided to intervene and took it and admired another species taken over my little dog.

The big male was a bit jumpier and by the time we found him it was close to 80 degrees. Arrow caught scent and was turning towards the bird as it took off and attempted to sail downhill. I rushed my first shot but made the second count and had my trophy. Although I won't be getting him mounted I will forever enjoy the pictures and the memories of my first day sage grouse hunting.

It was pretty tough hunting and not many guys on the mountain were having luck. We had a bit of luck and saw 18 birds and managed to scratch 2.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:02 am

Tex, Is it still a draw hunt in UT for sage grouse? Were you hunting Rich county or out in the West Desert? And those bomber chickens (the mature males) are a test in retrieving for most young and or small dogs. My 55 lbs Gsp had all she could do to bring one back that I shot this year. Well today is the sharptail opener and maybe I can sneak out for a while this afternoon.

texscala

Post by texscala » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:48 pm

Still a draw out here, If you draw you can take 2 birds. We were way out west and it was 80 degrees. The bird she retrieved was early in the morning and it was still cool, it was a juvenile about 60% of the size of the boomer taken later in the day. If were not so hot I think she would have retrieved it but I won't know until we do it again. Tomorrow a bunch of guys and dogs are meeting up to try and fill lour sharptail tags.

Hoping to get my first sharpie and hun shot over my dog.