Birds in Montana?

ohmymy111

Birds in Montana?

Post by ohmymy111 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:34 pm

Heading to Montana next week to do some hunting. Any word on the bird population this year? Will be in the Livingston area, and then the Scobey area.
Mark Dinsmore
Proud owner of
GrCHF GRCH Vernon de L'Escarbot AKC MH Rest up my boy, until I meet up to hunt with you again
CH Ardoise des Deux Pierres Bleue TAN 14 years together and it was not long enough
TR Jabo de El Matochar CH -CS -IB
CHF CH Darius de L'Eoile du Nord TAN
CH E'toile du Mas D'Pataula TAN
L'Etoile du Ten Bar Ranch
Messi de L'Etoile du Nord
Meg de Sugar Creek
Orion de L'Etoile du Nord
Persese de L'Etoile du Nord

http://www.ebretons.com

mm

Re: Birds in Montana?

Post by mm » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:34 am

How did you do out in Montana? Anyone do any Sharptail or Hun Hunting out there yet and if so how did you do? I see it has been very hot. I am leaving at the end of the week to go out there.
mm

lightonthebay

Post by lightonthebay » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:22 am

I have been hunting for six days west of great Falls and north of Chester but the hunting was pretty poor. My friend and I shot a few huns but the hunting was very slow. The farmers up north said the numbers seemed down from last year. We saw two sharptails.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:31 am

Was back there for over two weeks trialing, training then hunting a few days. Definitely numbers down in areas I was at - few sharptails, fewer huns, occasional phez. Went to a trial in S. Dakota for a few days and phez broods were thick on the roads if yer into those guys.

Prairie Hunter

Post by Prairie Hunter » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:51 pm

That's not very encouraging news. I'm headed to MT (Malta area) in a couple of weeks. I hope bird numbers are better in that area.

ohmymy111

Post by ohmymy111 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:18 am

I just got back in from hunting in Montana. Limited on Sharptails. Got a number of Huns as well. I would say from what I saw, the numbers are pretty good. I talked to a guy who lives in Circle, who said that he has seen a lot of birds this year. Tlaked to a rancher that said he is seeing a lot of birds as well.

It was pretty hot while I was out there. in the upper 70s to low 80s a lot of the days. A big problem is the wheat is late getting out of the field this year. I would say less thn 20% is out of the field. That is making it more difficult to hunt, but I certainly had a good hunt, even though Ardoise got quilled this year. I suspect she will shy away from porcupines in the future.
Mark Dinsmore
Proud owner of
GrCHF GRCH Vernon de L'Escarbot AKC MH Rest up my boy, until I meet up to hunt with you again
CH Ardoise des Deux Pierres Bleue TAN 14 years together and it was not long enough
TR Jabo de El Matochar CH -CS -IB
CHF CH Darius de L'Eoile du Nord TAN
CH E'toile du Mas D'Pataula TAN
L'Etoile du Ten Bar Ranch
Messi de L'Etoile du Nord
Meg de Sugar Creek
Orion de L'Etoile du Nord
Persese de L'Etoile du Nord

http://www.ebretons.com