Kansas Prairie Chickens

RuttCrazed

Kansas Prairie Chickens

Post by RuttCrazed » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:21 am

Well, the early season opened today, is anyone going out this weekend? This is only my second year hunting them and last year even though I didn't see a bird I still like my chances. My season was cut short last year when my youngest dog got tangled up in some barbedwire on the second weekend and nearly $400 dollars later we decided to call it quits on the chickens.
If anyone is looking for advice on where not to go, let me know! 8) Seriously though, if anyone has any suggestions on where I might look it would be greatly appreciated. I tried an area around Paxico last year and didn't have any success.

Thanks and good luck!

Rut

muddycreek

Re: Kansas Prairie Chickens

Post by muddycreek » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:40 pm

I'm heading out Friday, I'll let ya know if we see much. THis is my first time actually targeting them in the early season, so we'll see....

RuttCrazed

Post by RuttCrazed » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:45 am

Good luck! I will try and get out Saturday.

Rut

muddycreek

Post by muddycreek » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:44 pm

Had a great day! Saw lots of birds, had good dog work, and I even shot well! I'd better quit while I'm ahead...um maybe I'll take my chances :lol:

I'll post pics later

muddycreek

Post by muddycreek » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:22 pm

southernblues

Post by southernblues » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:34 am

muddycreek wrote:Here are a few from the hunt.

http://s610.photobucket.com/albums/tt18 ... 4734ff.pbw

nice pics. grew up in iola and hunted out west through my early 20's. now live in kc and gotta say i've never prairie chicken hunted. may have to give it a try with the pup.

Ditch__Parrot

Post by Ditch__Parrot » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:51 pm

mbyer

Post by mbyer » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:25 pm

Shot us a few chickens last week, going back next week. They were sticking good which made some good dog work for my young dogs. Had one surprise, first time we got one of these, notice around the neck!

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll29 ... 190092.jpg

hpvizslas

Post by hpvizslas » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:21 pm

Mbyer,

You shot one of those new remote control birds being used by the NSA. Better hope they don't track you down, that could be expensive.

Congrats, you must be the person that I was told about. Did you go hunting with Doug?? How did the dogs look?

Jeff

mbyer

Post by mbyer » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:04 pm

Yes we were hunting with Doug. The first day he used Dash one of the young dogs. Dash is still trying to figure it all out. The second day he used Tulip, his older female. She hunted hard. The radio collared bird was actually shot by one of my friends who came along. The collar and band was put on by the Missouri Department of Conservation. We have contacted them and of course they want the collar back. Trying to work a deal where they will send us a dud collar we can use to have the bird mounted along with the band. Don't know what the odds are but I've been hunting chickens a few years and this is the first radio collared bird I've seen harvested. The mount should make a good conversation piece.

Mike