Going To Kansas?

Justd

Going To Kansas?

Post by Justd » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:10 pm

Planning on going to kansas after reading the Bird forecast was thinking either dodge city or hays areas or something a long those lines. Anybody have any thoughts or experince with those areas never been there ,are the conditions good for pointing dogs ive been told some areas are better to use flushers. just trying to get some info also wondering if the public hunting is good in that area thank you

bossman

Re: Going To Kansas?

Post by bossman » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:54 pm

Headed to Lincoln, Ks in a few weeks. A friend tells me pheasant numbers seem to be down some but quail numbers are up. I would think you'd get into birds...but would also like to hear from someone from the great state of Kansas.

Big Dave

Post by Big Dave » Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:48 pm

I will be heading to Kansas 11-19-09 for a mixed bag of quail and pheasant. I normally see people from all over the country while I am there, magazines and the internet have made it sound better than it is for upland hunting. The WIHA is nice but many of these areas are marginal habitat for birds and they get a lot of pressure. You can find some big country, especially in the western part of the state so have yourself and your dogs in shape.

birdhunt

Post by birdhunt » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:41 pm

I have been going out there for 20+ years............according to the forecast, it looks like it should be a good year.............sounds good after talking to the guys I hunt with from there also...............I hunt the area around Hays, there are acres and acres of public land(WIHA) to hunt in all directions from Hays...........I very seldom, if ever have a problem with other hunters in the same fields, it's big country around there, so there is room for everyone..........keep your ears open and talk to the people in resturants/bars in the small towns to find places also--most are helpful..............some of the WIHA have good cover and some don't, you just have to check them out........be sure and have some glasses too, some of the walk in can be a mile long..what looks like bad cover can turn into great cover once you get away from the road............good luck, maybe our paths will cross, I am going out for opening day, and staying for a couple of weeks...............
you might want to go on the KDWP web site and order a walk-in hunting atlas, they'll send you one along with the laws if you email them!

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:29 pm

one thing to remember- WIHA's are all over- the cover changes as the farmers cut crops and disc under- doesn't mean there aren't any birds- just means they might be a little ways away- sometimes there'll be 20-40 pheasants out on bare ground- they have to go somewhere to roost- now don't they- and you'll be wise to look for those areas where there are lots of WIHA- pheasants move quite a bit- hunting pressure just moves them to a different area- sometimes the poorest looking areas aren't hunted- that's one thing to not give up on

you could also go to an area with lots of WIHA- wait a bit to see where the large groups are going and hang around some close by areas- priceless to watch a group go out and see birds heading to another area- binoculars help

don't think you'll see a lot of Bobwhites arround the Hays area

luke0927

Post by luke0927 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:34 pm

I'm leaving Thanksgiving night from GA...Will be around the Hays area also....Will be my first trip looking forward to it!

Jack Williams

Post by Jack Williams » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:34 pm

Been hunting in KS since 1985, started in the Hays area and in 1991 moved up to the north central around Lincoln and Beloit.
All the info coming from the state sources looks like it could be a good one. The locals in area we hunt are all having good things to say. Will be there for opener then off to OK in the panhandle for another week and we are hearing reall good things from OK. Also spoke with local near Liberal last week and says bird crop for Pheasant & Quail both looking better than has in several years. This could be a great year to head west (I'm in Ga.). Good luck.
Jack

WingmanCA

Post by WingmanCA » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:17 pm

I make 2 trips to KS - early season and late season. I hunt the area between Larned, Burdett and Rush Center.

bossman

Post by bossman » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:10 pm

Jack..If you don't mind me asking...Where around Lincoln do you hunt. My contacts are saying the same thing about the birds. I'm headed up from Texas is a few weeks. Might see you at the Hungry Hunter.

alex0742

Post by alex0742 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:50 pm

Bossman, when are you going? Im planning on going to Kansas either the 10th or 11th for a week. Im coming from San Antonio.
Alex

natetnc

Post by natetnc » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:30 am

luke0927 wrote:I'm leaving Thanksgiving night from GA...Will be around the Hays area also....Will be my first trip looking forward to it!
i will be out there the same week but a little east of you....... leaving the am after turkey day, i always get a laugh when i get to kick off the trip by seeing all the black friday shoppers outside retail stores at 3am and knowing i won't have to put up with that garbage for another week and some change.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:52 am

I will be in KS on opening weekend and then six or seven more times till season ends, I got the upland forcast in the mail a few days ago and just like most years will be heading NW.

Jack Williams

Post by Jack Williams » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:15 am

Hey Bossman
We have pretty much hunted the entire county of Lincoln & Mithcell. Have friends in the area for access to private land. If you have access to land south of Lincoln, that's where I have heard the best grounds will be for Quail. We are usually hunt north of Lincoln and in south Mithcell county. WIll be there 13-16th then head to OK for 4 days then back to KS for another 3 or 4 days. May hit some walk in out near Ashland/Dodge City on the way back up from OK. Any thoughts on walk-in anyone has hunted in SW KS?
Jack

bossman

Post by bossman » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:07 pm

Alex..We are headed to Lincoln on Oct 15. Will hunt for three days and go to Eureka to check out the Nationals and pick up a dog I've had in North Dakota for the Summer. As I mentioned earlier, the Hungry Hunter in Lincoln has some good " home cookin". Will be back for four days during Thanksgiving. Really getting excited.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:35 pm

Folks from down south are starting to do some scouting- was out Friday morning with my 4 on a WIHA- had the pistol strapped on- they drove down the side road and pulled right up- a bit worried as the pups were moving arround and I didn't want one run over- so I faced them as they came on quickly

all stepped out- any birds arround and where are we- showing me their WIHA printed pages-

I said you're to far south and need to go up arround Hays-

alex0742

Post by alex0742 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:23 pm

Bossman, I am heading for the nationals too. I wanted to go do some hunting while I was there. I was considering kansas public land in El Darado. Im solo but would like to hunt with someone. Im breaking Duke and need someone else to do the shooting when he is down. I will probly be get to the nationals on the 12th and stay for a week. Other than that I have nothing set.

alex0742

Post by alex0742 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:55 pm

Bossman, if you get there on Oct 15th what are you going to hunt?

http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/news/Huntin ... rd-Seasons

bossman

Post by bossman » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:02 am

We will be a Spearpoint Ranch. This will my my 4th trip to Spearpoint. Will be going back over Thanksgiving. While they do release pheasants for us ( and lots of them), there is also a good crop of native pheasants,quail and am told, prairie chicken. While it does cost alittle $$, I have found it to be very reasonable for that type of operation. Run by a great young family. You might want ot check it out for a day while we are there. (Check out their web site) There is also walk in hunting areas not far away. Again, I am told chicken numbrer's look good. I will pm you some pictures of previous hunts. Basically, I go up for the fun and to get my dogs tuned up for the quail season here in Texas. Would love to help with that good lookin' dog of yours. Will be up there with a veterinarian, a lawyer and my nephew...Believe it or not..the lawyer's a great guy. We arrive the evening of the 15th, hunt the 16&17 and off to the Nationals.

alex0742

Post by alex0742 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:36 am

Sounds like a sweet deal Bossman. Affordable too. Lets get together up there at some point.
210-912-9801

bossman

Post by bossman » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:15 pm

Alex...Give me a call anytime...972-523-5057

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:56 pm

Jack where you headed in the panhandle? Thats where I live. I have my own hunting areas and such but just curious if you were going to be anywhere near me.

Jack Williams

Post by Jack Williams » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:51 pm

Hey Bossman
Did I metion the nice little pointer I have that was with Robin Gates for the summer in Manitoba...

Jack Williams

Post by Jack Williams » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:59 pm

Tommyboy
Will be near Arnett, favorite Steakhouse is in Gage??? You know the one... Your around there?

Jack Williams

Post by Jack Williams » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:04 pm

Hey Bossman
My little Pointer...tried to upload photo's but file to large. He ain't that big on ly 42lbs muscle!

Ch. Joe Shadow
Ch. Shadow's Attitude
Feminine Attitude (daugther of Ch. Honky Tonk Attitude)
Ranger

Ch. Honky Tonk Attitude
Du More Attitude Lucy
Crozier's Little Jody (Daugher of Ch. Crow's Little Joe)

bossman

Post by bossman » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:21 pm

Hey Jack..Would love to see that pointer..Try emailing me that picture at jerry@panaband.com..Thanks..If he was up North, must be a good one!

birdhunt

Post by birdhunt » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:50 pm

hey 'justd', you figure out where you are going yet??

oakcreek

Post by oakcreek » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:48 pm

I am around most weekends, if anyone comes around and wants some company let me know. I should have some decent ground to hunt

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:15 pm

I'll be headed out opening week for all the madness....whats the crop situation looking like, are the farmers cutting much?
I know around here were looking at late Nov early Dec for most of the crops to come out.

Chip

muddycreek

Post by muddycreek » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:32 pm

Wet, Wet, and Wetter. I'ts been rainy/drizzly out foir a week it seems. Before the rain the beans and corn were coming off pretty quickly, but we need some prolonged dry warm weather for the milo. It looks like there will be a bunch of standing milo for the opener.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:52 pm

Milo I can deal with better than the corn....thanks for the update. I would say we still have 70-80% of our beans and corn still standing. Not looking good, Dad says they'll have theres out by thanksgiving at any rate.

Chip

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:10 am

where you headed to Chip

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:39 am

Have not decided as of yet...either the north central/west central area or southwest aorund hugoton and liberal. Last year I was around Beloit, went by myself and I would say it was tough for the first time hunting Kansas by myself, but we saw lots of birds, and the dogs did well.

Chip

Scolopax

Post by Scolopax » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:22 am

Hello all....relatively new to the forum and headed to Kansas the week of Dec. 6th. to hunt the WIHA around the Natoma area...This is my first trip anywhere out of state and I was wondering if ya'll would consider early December "late season" in regards to # of birds, cover they are using, pressure they have received?

Basically, curious about our chances considering it's my first time out there and have two young pointers. I'm not expecting grand success but I figured I couldn't point any birds sitting on the porch here in Georgia! :) Really just hoping to see some birds and that part of the country...maybe we'll get lucky.

Thanks!
The death of a hunting dog is only made tolerable by the memory of his life...

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:08 am

There will still be plenty of birds around, and the weather should still be good, if it is like the past couple of years it will just be starting to cool down enough to really hunt hard.

basspow

Post by basspow » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:37 am

Any suggestions where to set up camp around the Stockton area? (after opening day)

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:36 pm

Scolopax,
That was the week I went out as well, since it was my first time hunting in Kansas I cannot compare it. But I did do alot of walking and found the birds were really hunkered down on the windy days. My only concern was the deer hunters, it was there rifle season I believe the week I was there, so I was a little cautious in letting the dogs get to far out. I had a great time and would go back late season again....

Chip

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:54 pm

lvrgsp wrote:Have not decided as of yet...either the north central/west central area or southwest aorund hugoton and liberal. Last year I was around Beloit, went by myself and I would say it was tough for the first time hunting Kansas by myself, but we saw lots of birds, and the dogs did well.

Chip
oh my- I've got just the field for you-

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:16 pm

Shadow wrote:
lvrgsp wrote:Have not decided as of yet...either the north central/west central area or southwest aorund hugoton and liberal. Last year I was around Beloit, went by myself and I would say it was tough for the first time hunting Kansas by myself, but we saw lots of birds, and the dogs did well.

Chip
oh my- I've got just the field for you-
I figured you might....

Chip

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:26 pm

uh huh- dang pheasants are teasing me

I should post the land "no hunting unless you have bird dogs " maybe say- you must wear shorts :lol:

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:02 pm

Might check out over around Elkhart in Morton county as well. Try for a Morton county grand slam. Pheasant, Quail and Prairie Chicken. Just a suggestion to you guys headed for Kansas. Elkhart is about 45 miles from me and I have heard good things about up there. Plenty of birds and WIHA as well as public hunting.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:28 pm

well Tommy- being that Ivrgsp was thinking about coming to our country- you care to join in- maybe we show him a diversified hunting time

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:28 pm

Sounds like a good time to me. I am always up for a hunting trip. :D

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:19 pm

told Chip to let me know- not to bad a motel here- EP, GSP, Britt- interesting

you open November 14th- possibly heading up arround Hays Sunday- you know- this country might be a bit hard on the guy

Chip said he'd do the cleaning and cooking

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:27 pm

I actually took off that weekend because it is opening weekend here in Oklahoma and I am going about 5 miles from the house where I run dogs. I sold a couple of pups to a guy as well and he may be through on his way to south Texas around that time as well.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:42 pm

ahh Tommy- I was thinking elk steaks cooked by Chip as we looked south over this field-

way to go- seems I remember those pretty pups and you not sure about keeping them all- something about too good to let go

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:06 pm

Sold 2 females today and waiting for a guy to get off work tonight and give me a call about another, tried to contact a fella in Michigan this evening about maybe taking the male to trial- still waiting to hear back from him and I am keeping 1 female for myself.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:46 pm

have to let me know about that one going to Michigan- pup I sent to Michigan the guy said he had a trainer freind who was helping and they both were going to get into trialing-something about a pointer pup from Ok

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:41 pm

Hey I'll cook but I'm not wearing any "bleep" maid outfit you freaks..... :lol:

Chip

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:12 pm

The guy lives in SE Michigan and his name is Jim Harrison or Jim Harris can't remember for sure right now. He already has trial dogs, setters I believe and he runs cover trials and is wanting to get a pointer pup to run in the cover trials. Seems like a genuinely good guy. I chatted with him a bit tonight.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:27 am

tommyboy72 wrote:The guy lives in SE Michigan and his name is Jim Harrison or Jim Harris can't remember for sure right now. He already has trial dogs, setters I believe and he runs cover trials and is wanting to get a pointer pup to run in the cover trials. Seems like a genuinely good guy. I chatted with him a bit tonight.
could be the one- might ask him if he's seen a Britt pup from Kansas

Ivrgsp- cracks me up-
quite a bit I just toss in a cooler, coleman, lawn chair