Chickens Round Two.

muddycreek

Chickens Round Two.

Post by muddycreek » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:45 pm

Decided I needed a little "me" time after having the boys myself last week while the wife was traveling for work. Went out after the elusive Prairie chicken again. I think these are one of my favorites to chase for a couple reasons, one they are a native bird, and I get to get a little real training in for the dogs before the other seasons open.

Chicken country

POINT! kinda hard to see the pup but he's in the bottom left hand corner

Zoomed in as far as I could-this one got away :oops:

The old Model 12, my grandpa's gun. Probably hasn't seen use in 30 yrs, but it still shoots straight and is a joy to carry.

All in all a great morning. Only a couple birds bagged, but the 15 month old pup had 4 chicken finds with only 1 bumped bird, and a nice stick on a covey of quail. I think he's going to be a real good un.

twofeathers

Re: Chickens Round Two.

Post by twofeathers » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:31 pm

Nice pic's looks like a lot of walking could get done there.

Ditch__Parrot

Post by Ditch__Parrot » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:56 pm

Great Pics. Pup with 4 finds and a limit bagged. Sounds like a great day.

I've decided that chicken hunting is the scenic route of hunting in KS. Nothing like a nice long walk threw the Flint Hills behind a couple of bird dogs. Next time I go I'm taking a better camera. I took a few with my phone and it just didn't do it justice.

Anaconda Pintler

Post by Anaconda Pintler » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:17 am

I need to load an extra horse and head your way! You do ride dont you? lol Thanks for the pics I love hunting those Chickens! But I would not be walking!! lol
Has nothing to do with luck just boot leather and a fine GWP...

muddycreek

Post by muddycreek » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:07 am

Sure I ride, it's just been about 25 yrs since my last one :lol: . I'm a quick study, and that's one of my dreams, a horseback hunt. We burnt some shoe leather that morning, but it was worth it.

Dave C

Post by Dave C » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:53 am

Great pics and it looks as if the dog is doing well for you.

Dave.

muddycreek

Post by muddycreek » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:07 pm

Thanks, but I can't take much of the credit. I have just tried to get him out on birds as much as possible and let his natural ability come out. The real credit goes to those that breed good dogs! Believe me I have the fun part, although he was one happy contented boy after that.

brookzee

Post by brookzee » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:15 am

i'm loving it. that pups a bird dog!!! thats exciting and rewarding.qw, we need to go out and bring an extra horse for ole muddy.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:17 am

Nice! Looks like great country! Heck, I'd walk with ya' - Georgia boys gettin' all lazy on us now!! :lol:

Anaconda Pintler

Post by Anaconda Pintler » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:22 pm

Not Lazy just promised my wife that if she let me buy those horses that I would save alot of money of the years.........................by never wearing out another pair of hunting boots!! :wink: Cant go back on me promise! :mrgreen:
Has nothing to do with luck just boot leather and a fine GWP...

muddycreek

Post by muddycreek » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:35 pm

brookzee wrote:i'm loving it. that pups a bird dog!!! thats exciting and rewarding.qw, we need to go out and bring an extra horse for ole muddy.
Lets go! Heck if nothing else it would be great to meet in person. And you should be excited and feel great about that litter. I absolutely love the pup and would take another like him in a minute.
Anaconda Pintler wrote:Not Lazy just promised my wife that if she let me buy those horses that I would save alot of money of the years.........................by never wearing out another pair of hunting boots!! Cant go back on me promise!
Brilliant! Any other words of wisdom for another puppy, new truck, new guns, etc... I'm runnin out of reasons besides "Because I need it"
DGFavor wrote:Nice! Looks like great country! Heck, I'd walk with ya' - Georgia boys gettin' all lazy on us now!! :lol:
Thanks Doug, it is beautiful. That particular piece is 8 square miles of wonderland, only issue is it's crossfenced a bit too much and has a real byatch of a black baldy cow in one of em. Yup, the pup learned about them as well :lol:

nwMOgsp

Post by nwMOgsp » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:23 pm

Anyone ever try hunting chickens around Marysville, KS? It is around 2 hours from me and according to the walk in map there are some areas that hold birds.

Thanks,
Jason