What about Guides/ who do you use

mm

What about Guides/ who do you use

Post by mm » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:51 am

So I made it to Montana it was a 2000 mile trip for me and I had limited time so I hired a guide. A guy I knew recommended him and he did not hunt with him but a friend of his did. I was very disapointed in this guide. Over the phone he was going to do everything and his dogs were the best around. When we got there he had not really planned out many places for us to hunt and with all that land we hunted the same spots more than once. His dogs were not very good with two getting lost and us spending a good part of two days helping him find them. We also had to help him with a car repair and a trailer repair. I watched as his dogs bumped birds two or three hundred yards ahead and listen to him tell me how he could train my dog better if I left it with him and his sales pitches about other hunts that would be much better than this. I also hunted alone on public ground and all in all it was a good trip. I learned a lot and know what I have to do next year to hunt alone in montana.
Last year I had a guide in SD for pheasant and on that trip I was also dissapointed as it was more like he was hunting and we followed along he walked way to fast and shot first and only after he got his three birds did we get to take some shots. Also he was trying to sell us everything under the sun including his phamplet on how to cook pheasant for $10. I had a guide out there I liked but he stopped doing it and handed me off to this guy.
The purpose of this post is to ask for guide recomendations for wild bird hunts. I live far and time is limited so I preferr to have things set up as far as places to hunt. I dont care for fancy lodges I would rather stay at a hotel in town or my camper. I would like to hunt wild quail next and I would like not to get taken. Anybody use guides and what experience did you have?
mm

Shadow

Re: What about Guides/ who do you use

Post by Shadow » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:03 pm

how much did you pay these two to guide you on your unsatisfactory two hunts
did you do any background checks or just take the word of a freind of a freind

Jack Williams

Post by Jack Williams » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:58 am

If you want to really hunt wild Quail, contact Keith Montgomery at Windmill Outfitters. He is the reall deal, nothing fancy and a lot of walking. His cell # is 580-938-1001 and his website is windmilloutfitters.com. We have hunted with him for about 6 yrs 2 times per season. I too have some real horror with outfitters/guides. Good luck. Jack

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:21 pm

I looked at the website and that is a mecca for bobwhites just a couple hours from where I live. Should see plenty of birds and walk some rough country. Watch out for wild hogs. Good luck finding a guide.

mm

Post by mm » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:58 pm

Thanks for the tip on the quail guide I am interested in quail hunting looks like a good place.

The price of the guides I used was per gun, with two guns it was 175 a man a day on the pheasant trip, in montana it was 200a day per gun. The pheasant guy we got stuck with the regular guy we had used before pawned us over to him after we arrived because he could not go so ther was not much I could do. The montana guide I got from a friend.

grousewoods

Post by grousewoods » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:57 pm

Sorry to hear about your bad deal on the hunt in Montana, I'm sure there are a lot of good guides out there it's just hooking up with the right ones. Sometimes my best guide is my dogs! Best of luck down the road.